• ...and so much more!
  • oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Cross-posting from the Trump bashing 20 24/7 thread, because it is a valid question

He was a two term member of the House. Do you think admitting Puerto Rico as a state, with an almost certain 2 additional Democrat Senators, massive debt and a guaranteed spike in government dependence, was good for Florida or good for his constituents?

Was he pandering for a statewide race (remember he ran for senator until Rubio wanted back in the race) or does he really think Puerto Rican statehood would benefit Florida and/or the United States

One seems pretty swampy and the other calls his judgement into question if he wants to inherit the MAGA mantle
    I'm still undecided whom I will support for POTUS in '24, but if this is as bad as the never DeSantis criticism gets, it definitely nudges me in his direction. Compared to the baggage that Trump dragged along before he was elected? Compared to what he did after? Is there an idiom for the opposite of "damning with faint praise"? How about , "Praising with faint damnation"? (TM oze on INGO, 2023).

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Cross-posting from the Trump bashing 20 24/7 thread, because it is a valid question

He was a two term member of the House. Do you think admitting Puerto Rico as a state, with an almost certain 2 additional Democrat Senators, massive debt and a guaranteed spike in government dependence, was good for Florida or good for his constituents?

Was he pandering for a statewide race (remember he ran for senator until Rubio wanted back in the race) or does he really think Puerto Rican statehood would benefit Florida and/or the United States

One seems pretty swampy and the other calls his judgement into question if he wants to inherit the MAGA mantle
    It's a valid question... what is the answer to the Puerto Rico question? Where are we and where do we go from here?

That particular bill would define the process for PR which follows the historical pattern for territories to determine whether to petition for statehood. (BTW, other PR bills presto-chango would make PR a state based upon prior non-binding plebiscites)

So what do we do with PR?

1. Allow 3.5M US Citizens (Puerto Ricans are US Citizens by birthright) to self-determine statehood, status quo or independence by a binding plebiscite (referendum)?

2. Deny self-determination by forcing the status quo? Indefinitely?

3. Eject the PR territory from the US? Revoke US Citizenship of PRs? "Force" independence?

Looking through the co-sponsor's of that particular bill, it appears that pretty much the entire Florida House delegation (R's and D's) co-sponsored it.

What is the Trump answer to this question? What is @BugI02 position on the PR question? It appears that DeSantis endorses the historical principal of territorial self-determination... or at least did in endorsing this particular bill.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If you are not a classic liberal when you are young you have no heart.

If you are not a conservative when you are old you have no brains…
    Uh, classical liberalism isn’t bleeding heart. It emphasizes individualism and personal freedom.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    What is @BugI02 position on the PR question? I
    Much like having a pre-up with them. Set standards and force them to get their financial house in order as well as get employment to such a level that government dependency would be no worse than the national average

Then, and only then, have that binding vote on their future

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    What do you call someone whose only paint color for their broad brush is "Simplistic Trope?"
    Well, not going for the lowest common denominator of number of colors is how you end up with the LGBTQIAEIEIO+ flag. How many brushes, and how narrow, are you advocating for?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Eh. I’m kinda a hard no on PR statehood. Democrats just want another blue state so they can have two more defacto Democrat senators. If the politics suddenly changed Democrats would fight hard to block their statehood.

Bring in a defacto Republican state for balance of power and I’ll happily support bringing PR into statehood. It’s a shame, because I do believe the should be a state.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Bring in a defacto Republican state for balance of power and I’ll happily support bringing PR into statehood. It’s a shame, because I do believe the should be a state.
    Meh, I would sooner bring in the Canadian provinces as states 51 through 60. As the trucker rebellion revealed, a lot of independence and self sufficiency outside of their DC (Ottawa) - and bonus, most of them speak English as a first language and have a British heritage, too

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    PR Statehood=Political football.
    Careful, certain ... prolix, shall we say ... members of INGO might accuse you of worshiping the man (if they didn't secretly agree with your preference)

And the whole Florida delegation at the time is not running for president, and the one who IS needs to own his past viewpoints, just like it is insisted that Trump must. He can't hide behind 'everyone was doing it' or else Trump gets a pass for being a Democrat as a NY businessman in the early 2000s

Top Bottom