Dec 10-11 Carbine: America's Rifle Challenge in Bedford, IN -- Who's Going?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    [video=youtube;3GSpCRvsXLk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GSpCRvsXLk&feature=youtu.be[/video]

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Hey, what a great turn out you guys had! Nice. I'm not on FB, but these pics are cool. Looks like a good group of people as usual.

I will be at one if done again.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    The flickr link is accessible to anyone, no FB required. There are more pictures there.

And, yes, we will be doing more next year!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The flickr link is accessible to anyone, no FB required. There are more pictures there.

Thanks. I'll have to try at home instead of work. I got an error message when I clicked the link. Probably our IT department protecting me.:)

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN

I think your flickr link in your other post is may have gotten scrambled, it resolves to this: bedford%20carbine%20class%20album/ if you hover over it.

Ron

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN

techres,

THANKS! for all the photos and video's and your time taking them, and probably even much more time processing them. It's cool to have some mementos from the training!!

Ron

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    techres,

THANKS! for all the photos and video's and your time taking them, and probably even much more time processing them. It's cool to have some mementos from the training!!

Ron

Happy to help!

[video=youtube;_hg-mh0guLY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hg-mh0guLY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Revere’s Riders Carbine AAR Dec 10 & 11[SUP]th[/SUP], 2016

First off I need to thank all the folks who put this event on and made it happen:
    Chilidog, Slim, Huff, Rayne, Kevin, Megan, Rob, Josh, Bruce (my apologies if I missed anyone).
    The pictures and videos are great and tell the story… but not the whole story. There were a lot of drills and rounds downrange that led up to that 1 minute challenge on day two.

A group of around 22 souls braved the elements on Saturday and practiced various drills. Shooting from 3m out to 300m (use meters and yard interchangeably as its close enough for our purposes)
    Good stuff. Practicing walking with your carbine and navigating various obstacles. In fact we got ‘slung up’ on Saturday and stayed that way until the course completed on Sunday. Two point, three point, single point…see what works best for YOU during different shooting positions, shooting scenarios, clothing/equipment choices…
    We started off engaging the ‘tango’s’ at 3m shooting controlled pairs to COM (Center of mass represented by a paper plate) and the Ocular/thoracic triangle (represented by a post it note). 3m is an ideal distance to learn about sight offset. Unload and show clear before we progressed to the next drill.
    Moved back, en masse to 7m (yds.) and practiced the same drills. Controlled pairs to COM (Center of mass represented by a paper plate) and the Ocular/thoracic triangle/T box (represented by a post it note).
    Moved back again to the 12m (yds.) and repeated the exercise.
    Repeated the exercise moving forward. Holding carbine in the ready position we moved forward and repeated the drill/s. We did multiple iterations of the drill, moving forwards, backwards and somewhat diagonally. We also practicing magazine changes.
    We had the opportunity to check our zero’s at 25 m (yds.) and correct/adjust to a ballpark 50/200m zero.
    We took lunch break where Pizza was ordered in and we huddled around propane heaters to warm up around the numerous propane heaters that were provided.
    After lunch we were introduced to cover/concealment via the use of three plywood obstacles. In these drills we not only engaged IDPA targets (again wearing paper plates and post it notes to concentrate the accuracy) but we also engaged a variety of steel targets at 100 m/yds. and steel torso targets a 200 m/yds. Movement from one cover, magazine changes and all the morning stuff got combined along with resting on the barricade for longer shots.
    Just when you don’t think it can get any better the moving target gets introduced. This alone is worth the price of admission in my book. On a motorized zip line type set up and IDPA target (complete with the paper plate/post it note set up) can move back and forth. This thing can move FAST. The speed was set to a fast running pace. We then got to step out from behind cover to find the ‘BG’ coming fast at us and had to engage with controlled pairs to the COM and then to the T box. This was a lot of fun. A big thanks to Techres/Josh for his photography expertise. I really like the way he mounted a camera on the top of the target and synched that up with a GoPro headcam. Thanks for coming out and baring the cold and you didn’t even get to shoot!
    The ‘skills test’/qualifier would comprise of engaging the mover with four rounds (two to COM follow by two to the T box), magazine change while moving from/to concealment, engaging four other IDPA targets adorned with a paper plates either from concealment (slicing the pie) and/or while moving. Lastly engage, and hit the 100 m/yd. steel then the 200 m/yd. steel. All to be done within 60 secs. What a great way to wrap up the day and keep warm.
    Apparently the modern day liberty pole in Bedford is the Golden Coral, especially on a Saturday evening!
    Day two. Warmer than day one but had freezing rain in the forecast. Less people on day two (12 shooters maybe).
    We started off the day with more of the 3m, 7m, 12m drills to get warmed up. Along with the magazine changes and threat scans we moved both forwards and backwards.
    The ‘mover’ was set up again and this time two IDPA targets, each with two plates attached-one white one (tango) and one yellow one (good guy). The targets emerged/ran from one set of cover to another set of cover, maybe 15m between the two, and all twelve shooters engaged the targets from a common firing line about 7m away. This was repeated a few times and both the accuracy and efficacy of hits approved substantially. This is another drill you just can’t do anywhere and the results were quite surprising and was a nice way to learn/introduce ‘time of flight’ (TOF).
    The ‘mover’ and “skills test/qualifier’ was set up again and we were going to get a chance to qualify. Somehow the four shots at the moving tango morphed into six shots ! (two to COM, two more to COM then two to the T box) this was to be followed by a magazine change while moving from/to concealment, engaging four other IDPA targets adorned with a paper plates, either from concealment (slicing the pie) and/or while moving. Lastly engage, and hit the 100 m/yd. steel then the 200 m/yd. steel. All to be done within 60 secs. Tango’s were located differently from the previous day. This was the first true carbine qualifier and some folks qualified on their first run, others on their second or third runs (maybe more) but by midday everyone had managed to qualify. Regardless everyone was grinning and having a great time.
    Before breaking for lunch everyone helped pack up the mover and rearrange the free standing IDPA targets and concealment barricades. The remainder of the day was spent performing various drills using both the IDPA targets and the steel targets out to 300 m (yds.). The cold, intermittent drizzle/freezing rain did not seem to dampen anyone’s spirits and I believe we wrapped up and said our farewells around 4.30 pm or so.
    Thanks to all the students that I got to know and the ones I got reacquainted with over the weekend. We had a lot of laughs. I had never put on weight during a course before either! Pizza, Fried Chicken, cookies, home baked brownies curtesy of Rayne (Thanks), copious amounts of steaming hot coffee cutesy of Chilidog and much more helped keep everyone warm and fed and provided opportunities for getting to know everyone.
    This course is perfect for anyone with a basic rifle understanding/proficiency on up to the most proficient shooter. There’s something for everyone. If you are even remotely considering a carbine class you owe it to yourself to sign up for this one. You won’t be disappointed. I believe there will likely be another Revere’s Riders Carbine class offered in Spring 2017 and another in the fall (TBD) so keep a look out for those.

Happy holidays.
    Nigel

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Wow! Great write up Nigel! Thank you for filling in the gaps between the pictures for those of us who couldn't attend.

Welcome aboard UL. You're sure to be an awesome asset to the INGO community.

Top Bottom