Dec 10-11 Carbine: America's Rifle Challenge in Bedford, IN -- Who's Going?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Don't forget the skinny jeans and converse if you want to blend in.
    It's close to Bloomington you know. I'm not sure you can get rifle mags in skinny jeans but I'm sure Jake will be able to confirm that.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Don't forget the skinny jeans and converse if you want to blend in.
    It's close to Bloomington you know. I'm not sure you can get rifle mags in skinny jeans but I'm sure Jake will be able to confirm that.

It takes some effort but it can be done...if you really want it.

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    At the beta test, some guys went full tactical while others wore street clothes and back pocketed mags. It's a true come as you want party. I ran it as if I was on my way home from work when shtf.
    My kid is trying to use this event as an excuse to go buy a bunch of new gear. Unfortunately he still doesn't realize how much things cost. We will be running the come as you are bit with mags in our pockets and just be glad to be part of the event. Thanks Mohawk Slim for putting this on. Every Reveres event I attend makes me want to do more.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    I appreciate all the support we're getting on here. Revere's Riders is a volunteer organization so I'm hoping most of you are considering becoming more active. If you do, you'll get to do cool stuff like this all the time!

As for gear, run what you brung. Shooter's choice on whatever you want to wear. You can stuff mags in your pockets or run full chest rig. Totally up to you. We'll use a max of three mags at a time so gear wise, there's not a whole lot required. The one thing I would highly recommend spending a bit of effort (not necessarily money, but do some trying out) is a good sling. 2-pt recommended but single point or even old school USGI will work. We'll be "wearing" the carbines most of the day. Six pounds isn't heavy until it's hanging around your neck for a few hours. If you have a good sling set up you won't even notice it's there. If you have a poor sling set up you'll be sore.

Any questions, comments, concerns or otherwise, shoot me a PM. See y'all soon!

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    We're going to train through the suck. Charlie does not care.

Latest weather report I saw was cold on Saturday and then cold and rainy on Sunday. Cold and snowy is irrelevant. Cold and rainy is horrible. We spent this past Sunday out on the line in little Nashville during a steady drizzle (which, by the way, is my new street name. "What it do, Steady Drizzle?") and it was about 5 degrees warmer than it'll probably be this coming weekend during the Carbine clinic.

There is no good way to overcome the suck that is mid thirties and rain. It is the most horrible weather The Creator ever made and we're going to power through it like it's not even there. Participants must dress in weather resistant (because nothing is weather "proof") layers and be ready to embrace the suck like a gift from God. He's giving us this opportunity to test ourselves and our gear! Who else gets to do this? Who else but American Patriots will be out there on a Sunday enjoying the worst weather ever made? Who else can claim fun like this???

I highly recommend dressing in layers and having dry clothes available. Wool or wind/water resistant new age materials (goretex, etc.) if possible. Gloves x2 or three pairs. A towel. Waterproof boots and fluffy socks. A change (or three) of socks. A neck gaiter and/or scarf. Shemagh. Stocking cap. All those nice little things you used to enjoy when sled riding. Having a thermos of coffee or cocoa could be a game changer.

AR-15s get gummy when it's cold. Read up on your lube of choice and see if it's a good candidate for freezing rain.

I'm getting excited just thinking about it!

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    "Slim Shady" at Atterbury,
    "Steady Drizzle" at Nashville
    looks like "Snow Bro" for Bedford.

I have decided against camping and looking forward to this event.
    See you Saturday.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Been looking forward to this for a while. Psyched up and ready to roll. See everyone in the morning.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    Nicknames for everyone!

I have decided against camping and looking forward to this event.
    I think pretty much everyone has decided against it. We'll see how many hands are raised tomorrow afternoon.

This event is still a go. We've had a couple folks PM me saying they can't make it so if anyone who wanted to go but couldn't get on the list in time would like to go.... show up in the morning. Bring extra money for hot pizza!

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    In Bedford staying at a "fine hotel" at least the desk girl was sweet she looked at me funny when I carried my carbine in?
    Hot pizza will decrease the suck factor.

Top Bottom