• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    At one time a friend and his assistant mowed 70-72 lawns a week. Small little town yards postage stamp ones. Many would not let him mow on Saturday or Sunday and in the rainy weather they would fall behind. So after work I helped out from about 4:30-5 pm till dark. You can mow in the dark with a headlamp. I did once. My yard after helping him out.

As far as DST this was pre Mitch. Or Hoosier standard time so it has no bearing on the discussion

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Several years ago, I mowed yards as a sideline income. Working 7am to 3:30 pm, I would take my mowers, string trimmer, leaf blower, to work on my trailer, and earn $100 on the way home from work. You can't do that by mowing grass at 5 am...
    Let's say the lawn mowing season goes from 01 May - 30 September. Let's further say that lawn mowing without artificial light can safely take place through the extent of civil twilight. (It is likely somewhere into nautical twilight, realistically.)

Indianapolis:

01 May: EDT civil twilight ends at 9:08pm = 5.5 post-work hours w/light
    31 Aug: EDT civil twilight ends at 8:44pm = 5 post-work hours w/light (edit: looked at the wrong date)
    30 Sep: EDT civil twilight ends at 7:54pm = 4.5 post-work hours w/light

Those are the minimums.

Remove DST, and you would still have, minimum, 3.5 hours with light after work. That's not enough time for a yard work side hustle?

(Where did the "reason for edit" field go? I edited this to reflect 01 May - 30 Sep as the lawn-mowing season. I was debating whether lawn-mowing season was May - Aug or May - Sep. Post now shows both, just to make sure I show a reasonable worst-case at either extreme.)
    That dog don't hunt.

Nautical twilight doesn't exist here. It doesn't allow for trees, buildings, clouds, that blocks sunlight from the west. My solar panels don't recognize nautical twilight. I have rooftop panels on the east and south sides. Why not the west side? Because my neighbor has a 2 story house and 4 story treetops, and "nautical twilight" starts about 3 pm.

DST allows an extra hour of daylight after the conventional work day ends, I sometimes use it to put some rounds down range, and that makes me happy.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Several years ago, I mowed yards as a sideline income. Working 7am to 3:30 pm, I would take my mowers, string trimmer, leaf blower, to work on my trailer, and earn $100 on the way home from work. You can't do that by mowing grass at 5 am...

That dog don't hunt.

Nautical twilight doesn't exist here. It doesn't allow for trees, buildings, clouds, that blocks sunlight from the west. My solar panels don't recognize nautical twilight. I have rooftop panels on the east and south sides. Why not the west side? Because my neighbor has a 2 story house and 4 story treetops, and "nautical twilight" starts about 3 pm.

DST allows an extra hour of daylight after the conventional work day ends, I sometimes use it to put some rounds down range, and that makes me happy.
    Your panels recognize DST?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

That dog don't hunt.

Nautical twilight doesn't exist here. It doesn't allow for trees, buildings, clouds, that blocks sunlight from the west. My solar panels don't recognize nautical twilight. I have rooftop panels on the east and south sides.
    Trees don't block civil twilight - or for that matter, nautical twilight - sky light levels. The hours I cited were for civil twilight, during which time there absolutely still is sufficient atmospheric light level to mow grass. That light level becomes insufficient somewhere during nautical twilight, absent artificial light.

UV intensity sufficient to charge capacitors via sky lights has absolutely nothing to do with light levels sensed by the human eye. :rolleyes:

Why not the west side? Because my neighbor has a 2 story house and 4 story treetops, and "nautical twilight" starts about 3 pm.
    No, it doesn't. :dunno:

That's not what "nautical twilight" means. The degrees of twilight correspond to the angle of the sun beneath the horizon, and the corresponding amount of atmospheric light. Trees and houses don't create different twilight times or atmospheric light levels.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    We're talking about usable light, or the lack of it, as the sun drops below the horizon, and an argument that shaded and open areas have the same usable light.
    That light, at the time of day we're discussing, is entirely refracted from the atmosphere. It is, by definition, not direct sunlight because the sun is below the horizon.

Shaded areas will, again by definition, not have the same light as open areas.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That light, at the time of day we're discussing, is entirely refracted from the atmosphere. It is, by definition, not direct sunlight because the sun is below the horizon.

Shaded areas will, again by definition, not have the same light as open areas.
    The light is from the atmosphere and it can be blocked by trees and anything overhead…

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The light is from the atmosphere and it can be blocked by trees and anything overhead…
    This rabbit trail is addressing the incorrect claim that trees and houses cause a premature nautical twilight. The underlying point remains that, during civil twilight, there is sufficient ambient light to mow a lawn.

Top Bottom