• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Only 31% of the public want permanent daylight-saving time, 21% of Americans prefer to keep the status quo of changing the clocks, 19% call for a change to permanent standard time, and the rest of Americans are undecided about what changes to make, if any.
    The data also reveals something that complicates this entire poll: Americans say they prefer daylight-saving time, but when asked what they want out of a time change, the most important values are the ones they'd get under permanent standard time.
    When asked by the poll to rank those benefits, the ones favoring permanent standard time won out, big. The three most important values for respondents – keeping the time in line with circadian rhythms, promoting morning safety, and better sleep – are all specifically benefits of permanent standard time over permanent daylight-saving time.
    Midnight golf didn't make the cut

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Midnight golf didn't make the cut
    Those quotes sure seem to point out what Americans want. But what do they really want in numbers to make a change?

The problem is that, when taking a look at the overall American public opinion, there is not anywhere near a majority.”

“Only 31% of the public want permanent daylight-saving time, 21% of Americans prefer to keep the status quo of changing the clocks, 19% call for a change to permanent standard time, and the rest of Americans are undecided about what changes to make, if any.”

Even under the most generous assumptions – if those 11% who want to stop changing the clocks but don't care which of DST or standard time is picked are lumped in with the 31% who want to change to permanent DST – that 42% is still very far from a majority.“

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Those quotes sure seem to point out what Americans want. But what do they really want in numbers to make a change?

The problem is that, when taking a look at the overall American public opinion, there is not anywhere near a majority.”

“Only 31% of the public want permanent daylight-saving time, 21% of Americans prefer to keep the status quo of changing the clocks, 19% call for a change to permanent standard time, and the rest of Americans are undecided about what changes to make, if any.”

Even under the most generous assumptions – if those 11% who want to stop changing the clocks but don't care which of DST or standard time is picked are lumped in with the 31% who want to change to permanent DST – that 42% is still very far from a majority.“

Thank God we don't live in a Demcracy where the majority rules but in a Republic where the rights of the minority are preserved against the tyranny of the majority!

Throw off the shackles!

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Myself I don’t care what time they call it. I just want it to be the same time all year. There are only so many hours in a day, and the light hours per day are set by the time of year. You can’t save daylight. It’s not a bank. Office people may like it, but us country bumpkins have to work if it’s light or dark.

Well a storm is coming but the planting, harvesting, mowing hay, feeding stock will have to wait. It’s not 7 or 8 or 9 o:clock yet. Ya, that works.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Myself I don’t care what time they call it. I just want it to be the same time all year. There are only so many hours in a day, and the light hours per day are set by the time of year. You can’t save daylight. It’s not a bank. Office people may like it, but us country bumpkins have to work if it’s light or dark.

Well a storm is coming but the planting, harvesting, mowing hay, feeding stock will have to wait. It’s not 7 or 8 or 9 o:clock yet. Ya, that works.
    Some of the farmers I know like DST because it matches up the working hours of suppliers they need to their long workdays. People that are too lazy to change clocks love that “save daylight” BS, while the truth is the vast majority of people work a typical days time frame, and prefer to shift the time of society so there is more sunlight after work, no savings required unless you want to define shifting the time as saving the available daylight until after work.

Why would you “country bumpkins” care?

Just ask the NWS what time the storm will be there…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This is the weekend I hate.. the whole week afterwards I am screwed up in the morning.
    Maybe try drinking less?

Reminds me of when I worked third shift in my twenties, slept six times a week, (gotta keep those weekends for partying with friends) but blamed third shift because I felt like s***.

You can avoid that by getting up about ten minutes earlier every day for a week or two before…

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Maybe try drinking less?

Reminds me of when I worked third shift in my twenties, slept six times a week, (gotta keep those weekends for partying with friends) but blamed third shift because I felt like s***.

You can avoid that by getting up about ten minutes earlier every day for a week or two before…
    Screw that, maybe they can come up with a way that doesn't loose everyone a dang hour of sleep.

Top Bottom