• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Playing with clocks is not time travel and it does not make the days longer or any of that nonsense. End daylight savings time!

As the show continues...

Not trying to make days longer, but rather trying to mesh the gears of work and family life to the changing sunlight pattern.

It is fact that the length and timing of sunlight changes with the seasons, therefore it is only logical that human timing change with the sunlight changes to maximize the use of daylight. 150 years ago each farmer adapted to the sunlight available, it is not practical for 330 million Americans to individually adapt to maximize use of daylight. We have to have an orderly system that maximizes use of sunlight and keep your Apple Watch on time. With such a variation in timing and length of daylight it is awesome we can get the most out of our available sunlight with just two quick time changes.

The sunlight is God's, time management is man's...

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    As the show continues...

Not trying to make days longer, but rather trying to mesh the gears of work and family life to the changing sunlight pattern.

It is fact that the length and timing of sunlight changes with the seasons, therefore it is only logical that human timing change with the sunlight changes to maximize the use of daylight. 150 years ago each farmer adapted to the sunlight available, it is not practical for 330 million Americans to individually adapt to maximize use of daylight. We have to have an orderly system that maximizes use of sunlight and keep your Apple Watch on time. With such a variation in timing and length of daylight it is awesome we can get the most out of our available sunlight with just two quick time changes.

The invention of the light bulb 250 years ago precluded any need to change the clocks to adjust to the daylight cycle in higher latitudes (which is the only place where such adjustment is needed, since nearer the equator, where most of the world's population lives, the daylight cycle doesn't change drastically enough - if at all - the necessitate such adjustment).

And I have yet to see how waking up in the pitch dark, not seeing sunrise for 1 - 2 hours in November - or going to bed in near-full daylight in June - helps me maximize available sunlight.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I've driven a school bus, and just as we started having twilit pickup in the spring, they flip the switch on us and we're picking up in the pitch black again for several weeks. We fortunately never had an accident, but it was always on my mind. One of those kids shows up in the dark because we could't see him, and that bus would turn him into mush. Autumn, we were close enough to the middle of the day it would hardly matter, but that was just us. The whole thing is a copulating rat. My operating system has a creeping file time feature so you don't save one file then save another one an hour sooner. I guess this bravo sierra is keeping someone employed kluging things like this.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The invention of the light bulb 250 years ago precluded any need to change the clocks to adjust to the daylight cycle in higher latitudes (which is the only place where such adjustment is needed, since nearer the equator, where most of the world's population lives, the daylight cycle doesn't change drastically enough - if at all - the necessitate such adjustment).

And I have yet to see how waking up in the pitch dark, not seeing sunrise for 1 - 2 hours in November - or going to bed in near-full daylight in June - helps me maximize available sunlight.

DST is always rebutted by the extremes, but why is that? Because we live in the extreme, we live at the far end or far beginning of a time zone (currently set at far end). We will have extreme no matter what we do.

So your life with the kids is not different after DST in the spring when sunset moves from about 6:30 pm on March first to about 7:40 pm on March tenth? Do you have no family use for that hour of light after work and school?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    DST is always rebutted by the extremes, but why is that? Because we live in the extreme, we live at the far end or far beginning of a time zone (currently set at far end). We will have extreme no matter what we do.

So your life with the kids is not different after DST in the spring when sunset moves from about 6:30 pm on March first to about 7:40 pm on March tenth? Do you have no family use for that hour of light after work and school?

Can't speak for chip, but 7:40 p.m. is about 20 minutes before I go to bed, so no, I don't have use for that hour of light. I would however, have use for an extra hour of sunlight in the mornings instead of having to wait until 7 or 7:30 for sunrise. And yes, I'm old. :):

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

It has less to do with being in the extreme longitude of the timezone as it does with being in a higher latitude. Regardless, time-shifting serves no purpose, does not provide more sunlight during "daytime" hours, and remains futile in an era of prevalence of artificial light, both indoors and outdoors.

Why would it make any meaningful difference? Right now, I get up at 6:00AM and take a walk with my youngest. We enjoy seeing the pre-dawn night sky (Mars and Venus have been stunning the past couple weeks) and enjoying the sunrise. The same holds true for after-dinner walks in the evening. Tennis courts have lights, if we want to play later in the evening. I suppose I just don't understand family time/activities being driven/dictated by the daylight cycle.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Can't speak for chip, but 7:40 p.m. is about 20 minutes before I go to bed, so no, I don't have use for that hour of light. I would however, have use for an extra hour of sunlight in the mornings instead of having to wait until 7 or 7:30 for sunrise. And yes, I'm old. :):

Amen to this.

I head to bed (meaning no screens, low light, reading) around 9:00PM. And I am productive during the 1 - 2 hours of darkness first thing in the morning.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    tenor.gif

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It has less to do with being in the extreme longitude of the timezone as it does with being in a higher latitude. Regardless, time-shifting serves no purpose, does not provide more sunlight during "daytime" hours, and remains futile in an era of prevalence of artificial light, both indoors and outdoors.

Why would it make any meaningful difference? Right now, I get up at 6:00AM and take a walk with my youngest. We enjoy seeing the pre-dawn night sky (Mars and Venus have been stunning the past couple weeks) and enjoying the sunrise. The same holds true for after-dinner walks in the evening. Tennis courts have lights, if we want to play later in the evening. I suppose I just don't understand family time/activities being driven/dictated by the daylight cycle.

I just read your sleep post on the other thread so compared to my circle you live a very different life than they. The DST shift allows for their kids sports to run later so they can get there after work and see the whole game, some nights dad gets a round of golf in after work, etc. Their school age kids are sent to bed at 9-9:30 pm but they rarely get to bed before 10 pm. The kids are sleepy heads and usually don't get up until just in time to go to school. An hour of light in the morning would be wasted for them.

Then there are my friends that use that time in the evening to quote jobs after folks get home from work and feed the kids, others actually used it to start a business. People look at homes to buy, look at cars, lots of business in the evening after DST starts. Not much business gets done in the morning.

I get it you are an early bird and have raised your family that way, but most families are not in my area...

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I just read your sleep post on the other thread so compared to my circle you live a very different life than they. The DST shift allows for their kids sports to run later so they can get there after work and see the whole game, some nights dad gets a round of golf in after work, etc. Their school age kids are sent to bed at 9-9:30 pm but they rarely get to bed before 10 pm. The kids are sleepy heads and usually don't get up until just in time to go to school. An hour of light in the morning would be wasted for them.

Then there are my friends that use that time in the evening to quote jobs after folks get home from work and feed the kids, others actually used it to start a business. People look at homes to buy, look at cars, lots of business in the evening after DST starts. Not much business gets done in the morning.

I get it you are an early bird and have raised your family that way, but most families are not in my area...

My oldest daughter would like a word. Teenagers and sleep, man...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    As the show continues...

Just program clocks and phones to add 10 seconds per day from 22 Dec thru 21 Jun and then subtract ten seconds per day 22 Jun thru 21 Dec

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Interesting idea, how do you program a Timex...

You have to buy new hardware, that's how we get the electronics companies interested in making them. We have several clocks that receive timing signals from the naval observatory, would be easy to have a similar system to govern 'rolling standard time'

Nobody under 40 wears a watch, they use their phone for everything, so they're already on board

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    You have to buy new hardware, that's how we get the electronics companies interested in making them. We have several clocks that receive timing signals from the naval observatory, would be easy to have a similar system to govern 'rolling standard time'

Nobody under 40 wears a watch, they use their phone for everything, so they're already on board
    \

They already make them. I bought a wall clock 10-15 years ago that automatically adjusts for DST and standard time.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

Not even smart watches?

Top Bottom