• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MAHamlin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    I'm curious what people's opinions are in regards to these two 1911's. I'm considering purchasing a 1911 in the $1500 - $1800 price range and these two have caught my eye. Most everything I've read about the DW Valor has been very positive. I can't find much in regards to the Colt Special Combat Government in .45 ACP though. So, if anyone has either of these (or both!), or experience with either, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Also, if anyone knows of a comparable 1911 they feel should be considered I'm all ears. Please be realistic, though. $1800 is the price cap.

Thanks!

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    The DW will be fitted much better than the Colt. Colt makes a great entry gun, and decent modified guns, but can't hold a candle to the semi-custom shops. I'm just not sure the Valor is now worth $1800 compared to just a year ago when they were found for $1300-$1400. If you're serious about spending that coin, buy a Les Baer and live happily ever after. The bottom level Baer's can be found for less than $1700 and are heads and shoulders above anything that comes out of Hartford. Just my opinion.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I have no experience with either one of your picks, but another gun in your price range that I have been lusting for is a Les Baer TRS. Have fun with deciding, buying and getting to know which ever one you get (makes me jealous :D)

MAHamlin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    A Les Baer TRS would be pretty nice! I thought they were a little out of my price range, but there is one NIB on gunbroker for $1725 buy it now. That is probably they way to go. I must admit though, the lack of a huge banner on the slide of the DW's is awfully nice! I wish more people would copy that.

In regards to the Colt, I sort of figured it was out of its league in that price range, but I felt it at least deserved consideration.

How is Les Baer's customer service and warranty? Not that I expect poor quality, it would just be nice to have some reassurances before I spend that much.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    I would definately wait and get a wilson, les beer or brown.

I saw two ed browns this week alone used for 1700.00 one is a special forces and the other a Kobra carry both used.

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Special Combat

I have owned and shot Colts Special Combat for the last 5 years in IDPA and used as carry gun as well.
    They are IMHO NOT an entry level gun they are out of Colts custom shop and You can tell the difference between them and an entry level pistol.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have experince with DW and I was also looking to get the Colt SCG, it just happen that a person at the range was shooting the Colt and had the chance to handle it and WOW what a desapoiment. for a $1700.00 + handgun not even close to the quality to my CBOB, I know Colt has a special place for a lot of people but in this case the Valor is a much better gun for the money.

MAHamlin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    If the choice were a used Ed Brown Special Forces or a new Les Baer TRS which would people choose? Assume the Ed Brown is 95% or better and the price for each is the same.

I have to wonder if I will notice the difference enough to justify the extra cost of the Ed Brown.

MAHamlin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    I thought I would give this thread an update. I decided to go with the Dan Wesson VBOB (Valor Bobtail) after looking at the variety of options. The combination of price, quality, and feel couldn't be beat in my opinion. Having handled several Browns and Baers, I feel the VBOB stacks up pretty well. The finish isn't quite up there with the Browns and the fit isn't quite as tight as a Baer. I think they've made a very acceptable compromise in the middle of each and anyone considering a Baer or Brown ought to look into the Dan Wesson. Another winning point was great customer service remarks in regards to Dan Wesson (owned by CZ). They really stand behind their product. In any event, I'm in love with it and couldn't be happier.

Haven't fired it yet, but plan on running a few hundred through it tomorrow to break it in a little bit.

Here are some pics!

Holstered:
    CIMG0515.jpg

CIMG0517.jpg

Slide to frame fit is excellent! No side to side movement at all. Locks up like a vault:
    CIMG0524.jpg

Close up of the bobtail:
    CIMG0522.jpg

Barrel end with thick bushing (bushing is very tight, but can be operated by hand with effort):
    CIMG0523.jpg

Heine ledge/boot night sight:
    CIMG0525.jpg

The VBOB sitting on all the fun we're going to have tomorrow!
    CIMG0530.jpg

And lastly, I realized after all was said and done I forgot to take pictures of the port side of the pistol, so here is one after-the-fact in worse lighting conditions...
    CIMG0544.jpg

nosreme

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Bloomington (visits)
    I have a big hand. On the Colt, my finger connects the trigger exactly where it should in a natural grip, right away. I would have bought a DW Valor last weekend but my finger connects the trigger all the way back at the first knuckle from my hand. I couldn't see moving my finger (and with it the bracing the bottom of the finger should be providing) so passed on it. Beautiful gun to look at, though.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Very nice gun! Is the extractor polished and showing a reflection or is the finish marred? That gun it 10mm would be perfect for me.

MAHamlin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    The Valor does come standard with slim grips, so I can see how it would alter your grip. Swapping back to standard size grips is pretty simple and would not require a change of bushings either.

The extractor is made of blues carbon steel rather than stainless, which explains the different color you're seeing. Supposedly carbon steel is better to use for extractors as it holds it's spring better. I couldn't tell you if that's true or not though. The slight shine you see on the top of the extractor is just some oil.

As ar as where I got it, I ordered it NIB from Dave Severns (www.severnscustom.com) and had it transferred to Beech Grove Firearms. Highly recommend BGF if you're transferring, they were very quick, affordable, and easy to work with.

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    Should have just bought a Rock Island and saved $1300...

Kidding!

I'm not even a big 1911 fan, but that make me want to reconsider. Beautiful, simple, elegant lines.

Enjoy.

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    Excellent pics. It looks like you got a great pistol. Beautiful grips. Congrats !

As to those that think a Colt SCG is an entry level pistol that isn't fitted well and doesn't compare to DW quality than all I can say is "horse hockey !". I have one and it couldn't be better. Mine is the BO-MAR adj. sight model but they can be had in a non-adj. "Carry Model" also.

COLT1991HRDCHRME101107005Small.jpg

SGC on bottom and it's Bob Miller modified M1991A1 (ORM) brother on the top.

Entry level, my a$$ ! :D

Last edited:
    Top Bottom