• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not likely with a ransomware attack. That would go back to plain old fashioned theft.
    Well, if approached and you sell out and offer a back door that exactly what this ends up as.
    not saying it is the way of it but people are caught all the time doing such things.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Let's just say that when planning against these attacks, an inside job is not on the list. Trying to teach your users to not do stupid :poop: is #1. Keeping systems up to date is #2. A good comprehensive backup scheme is #3.

1&2 account for the vast majority of these attacks. Users click on bad attachments in email or links to things they should not. Anti-virus /Malware software will catch a lot of stuff, IF it is kept up to date. It only catches what is known though. They are always changing the packages to avoid detection.

There is little excuse for getting compromised by a known vulnerability in something though. You see companies get hacked because of stuff that was known for years. That should be cause for heads to roll.

I hope they tell us how it all went down. It is always good to know to try and stop it from happening to us.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If a country was to want to “take America out” it’s become painfully clear that our supply chains and infrastructure could be crippled enough to set this country back to the 1800’s pretty quickly. Look at how quickly the store shelves emptied last year? Combine that with a gas shortage and or some rolling blackouts and this country will fall into chaos that I don’t think we can recover from.

I used to think the prepper types were nutty but after watching the fragility of both our supply chains and the American psyche I’m really rethinking that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If a country was to want to “take America out” it’s become painfully clear that our supply chains and infrastructure could be crippled enough to set this country back to the 1800’s pretty quickly. Look at how quickly the store shelves emptied last year? Combine that with a gas shortage and or some rolling blackouts and this country will fall into chaos that I don’t think we can recover from.

I used to think the prepper types were nutty but after watching the fragility of both our supply chains and the American psyche I’m really rethinking that.
    Now why would you think that a family that is prepared for about anything is nutty. Yes the deep woods dig a hole and crawl in crowd is pretty over in their own corner but as a family we are prepped to survive about anything survivable for at least 60 days all in. If water is more readily available possibly longer. Water and fuel being the deciding factors.

Not taking this personally as we have heard it all from a lot of people. Then when things get silly they all say "If it gets bad we are coming to your place"

Nope, not gonna happen.

Cover your butts people as only God really knows what's next.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Now why would you think that a family that is prepared for about anything is nutty. Yes the deep woods dig a hole and crawl in crowd is pretty over in their own corner but as a family we are prepped to survive about anything survivable for at least 60 days all in. If water is more readily available possibly longer. Water and fuel being the deciding factors.

Not taking this personally as we have heard it all from a lot of people. Then when things get silly they all say "If it gets bad we are coming to your place"

Nope, not gonna happen.

Cover your butts people as only God really knows what's next. Get ready.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The avalanche started a few years ago. They are already attacking pretty much all businesses. This payoff is only one of the latest, the vast majority of which you never hear about. Compared to their lost revenue being shutdown, I imagine it was a small price to pay. Of course it would have been better if they had been better prepared.
    This line of thinking is part of the pussification of our society, pushed by bean counters and lawyers that likely know this approach will line their pockets.

CIP: McDonalds not using the full power of their corporate legal team to quash the idiot suing them over spilling hot coffee, the announcement of that settlement just encouraged others to get their legal lottery winnings and cost billions, if not trillions, that in the end are paid for by you and me.

So screw the BS cost benefit analysis that does not look at the long term costs and only looks at today's cost.

You get the behavior you reward! I would suggest a helfire missile on their cafe experience.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    My apologies if I offended anyone, I’m simply thinking back to how preppers were portrayed in that show “doomsday preppers”. Some of those people came off a bit silly if we’re honest.
    If you believe those people "preppers" you have been misled. They violate many of the tenets of prepping with their narcissism of wanting their 15 minutes...

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus

MUST WATCH: Nashville Gas Station Puts Meme of Hunter Biden on Their Sign, ‘Hope Gas Prices Don’t Get Too High’ (VIDEO)​

By Cassandra Fairbanks
    Published May 15, 2021 at 9:45am
    267 Comments
    Share(726)TweetGab Share Telegram Telegram P ShareEmail
    00-10.jpg

The Lewis Country Store in Nashville, Tennessee is making massive waves with a giant screen broadcasting memes slamming the Biden administration over gas prices.​

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    This line of thinking is part of the pussification of our society, pushed by bean counters and lawyers that likely know this approach will line their pockets.

CIP: McDonalds not using the full power of their corporate legal team to quash the idiot suing them over spilling hot coffee, the announcement of that settlement just encouraged others to get their legal lottery winnings and cost billions, if not trillions, that in the end are paid for by you and me.

So screw the BS cost benefit analysis that does not look at the long term costs and only looks at today's cost.

You get the behavior you reward! I would suggest a helfire missile on their cafe experience.
    What? Business is about making money. Therefor they are going to do whatever helps their bottom line the most or hurts it the least. How does that translate to being a *****? Do you think they the company should have voluntarily lost a lot more money to show how macho they are? In some cases the companies have no recourse. They may not be able to recover at all.

The answer is better preparedness. Both for prevention and for ability to recover.

Second, I suggest you read up on that McDonalds case. It wasn't how it is generally portrayed by people.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    On a different note, I am seeing a lot of articles talking about how the .gov doesn't have the authority to protect our infrastructure specifically, and companies against cyber attacks in general. It would not surprise me to start hearing talk about the .gov taking control of things like pipelines, and giving them wide ranging authority in the cyber defense area. Both bad ideas.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My apologies if I offended anyone, I’m simply thinking back to how preppers were portrayed in that show “doomsday preppers”. Some of those people came off a bit silly if we’re honest.
    Those are the extremists in this. The ones I stated had their own little section of the prepping belief and that is the litmus most folks use.

No offense taken here.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    On a different note, I am seeing a lot of articles talking about how the .gov doesn't have the authority to protect our infrastructure specifically, and companies against cyber attacks in general. It would not surprise me to start hearing talk about the .gov taking control of things like pipelines, and giving them wide ranging authority in the cyber defense area. Both bad ideas.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    The local news channels this morning announced gasoline prices may spike as early as tomorrow due to hackers compromising a major gas pipeline. The hackers weren’t identified nor was there a reason given for the why. What is chilling about this to me is the apparent disruption that is projected to occur by this act. I’m wondering if the delivery system is so fragile that it only takes one pipeline being compromised to disrupt gas supplies ?

Further comment by the TV ”newscaster” reported that rules regarding restrictions on driving hours by truck drivers were being eased. Reportedly drivers will be able to exceed the 11 hour daily maximum. That doesn’t sound like such a good idea to me considering the drivers are hauling liquid dynamite.

So . . . . . if you need gas, better get it today (?)
    Disruption of supplies or not, they only want the appearance of a potential issue. THAT`S the excuse to jack up the fuel prices. Doesn`t matter in the least if there`s really a supply issue.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Disruption of supplies or not, they only want the appearance of a potential issue. THAT`S the excuse to jack up the fuel prices. Doesn`t matter in the least if there`s really a supply issue.
    Well.......prices were avg. $2.99 per around here before the meltdown. Now they are down into the mid to lower $2,80's per so go figure.

Another MSM induced :poop: load of click bait hype that stirred up the nut jobs......again.
    They would have us live in a constant state of fear crying out for help.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Well.......prices were avg. $2.99 per around here before the meltdown. Now they are down into the mid to lower $2,80's per so go figure.

Another MSM induced :poop: load of click bait hype that stirred up the nut jobs......again.
    They would have us live in a constant state of fear crying out for help.
    I`ve read that Indiana does a kind of weird thing with fuel prices. They jack them up over what they are nationally, then slowly deflate them over time, instead of simply setting them at the prescribed set point based on economic factors. No worries, they`ll be back up again, soon.

And certainly they want us constantly afraid, that`s the easiest sell in the world for some; "this is for your own good"...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    What? Business is about making money. Therefor they are going to do whatever helps their bottom line the most or hurts it the least. How does that translate to being a *****? Do you think they the company should have voluntarily lost a lot more money to show how macho they are? In some cases the companies have no recourse. They may not be able to recover at all.

The answer is better preparedness. Both for prevention and for ability to recover.

Second, I suggest you read up on that McDonalds case. It wasn't how it is generally portrayed by people.
    YES, this BS settlement crap has cost businesses far more than having the balls to fight for what is right. It all goes back to the next quarterly earnings not the long term of the company as we already have discussed up thread.

The McDonalds case was just an easy example commonly known.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I`ve read that Indiana does a kind of weird thing with fuel prices. They jack them up over what they are nationally, then slowly deflate them over time, instead of simply setting them at the prescribed set point based on economic factors. No worries, they`ll be back up again, soon.

And certainly they want us constantly afraid, that`s the easiest sell in the world for some; "this is for your own good"...
    At least up here, every Wednesday prices rise .20-.30 cents and then dwindle very slowly back down, to roughly .05 cents higher than previous week. Then repeats the cycle
    I have no doubt we will see $3.59-$3.79 per gallon by mid summer

Top Bottom