• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I use the USCCA app as it’s free, but I’ve tried to have my states memorized. It’s usually easy to remember, because nut case states like Michigan and Illinois obviously would not reciprocate.
    Michigan recognizes all states licenses/permits if they are resident lic/permits. IL allows for car carry if you are legal to carry in your state.

jcole123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Michigan recognizes all states licenses/permits if they are resident lic/permits. IL allows for car carry if you are legal to carry in your state.
    I’ll have to double check then, because last I checked Illinois doesn’t recognize Indiana CCWs. Do you have a website link? I want to make sure I know exactly what I need incase I ever travel through Illinois. Thanks.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I’ll have to double check then, because last I checked Illinois doesn’t recognize Indiana CCWs. Do you have a website link? I want to make sure I know exactly what I need incase I ever travel through Illinois. Thanks.
    They don't recognize any other lic/permits for general carry, but you can have a concealed firearm on you in the vehicle only. If you leave the vehicle it must stay in the vehicle out of sight and the vehicle must be locked. See top right #4. There have also been multiple threads on it here.

Or https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=3497&ChapterID=39
    (e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a​
    firearm under federal law;​
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under​
    the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and​
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
    If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
    (Source: P.A. 102-538, eff. 8-20-21.)​

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Just FYI, Indiana no longer requires proof of insurance for a traffic stop.

Was stopped in Wyoming right after this was enacted in IN and the officer had to do some double checking but since IN didn’t require it they couldn’t either.
    That's good to know; thanks! I try to remember to put the new cards in the glove box every six months, but I don't always remember right away. (There's zero chance I'm handing a police officer my phone to show the proof of insurance via mobile app.)

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    IIRC, it's federal statute, not IL state statute, that controls car carry when traveling interstate through IL. I believe it was under FOPA (1986)?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    **Personal Opinion - Not Legal Advice**

In Indiana, I would never want to be the first person to use the word "gun" (or equivalent) in an encounter with a police officer. Also, I will not lie is asked. That's me.

I have been pulled over a couple of times for speeding while carrying. Never came up.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I’ve seen people say that if pulled over while legally concealed carrying a firearm that you should always let the officer know, and I’ve also seen people say the opposite. I have my carry permit, I just want to know the right way to go about it incase I’m ever stopped while carrying.
    jcole, covered a few years ago, by this ruggedly handsome individual:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    IIRC, it's federal statute, not IL state statute, that controls car carry when traveling interstate through IL. I believe it was under FOPA (1986)?
    Fed law covers transport, must be unloaded and inaccessible and I believe in a case. IL law allows for loaded concealed carry in a vehicle if the person is legally allowed to in their home state. Can't leave the vehicle with it, except for the limited purpose of storing it in the trunk if you are parking the vehicle.

jcole123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2022
    Indianapolis
    **Personal Opinion - Not Legal Advice**

In Indiana, I would never want to be the first person to use the word "gun" (or equivalent) in an encounter with a police officer. Also, I will not lie is asked. That's me.

I have been pulled over a couple of times for speeding while carrying. Never came up.
    That was my understanding, that as long as you presented no threat to the officer that they’d never ask. I agree also that you never want to use the word “gun”. I saw other comments referring to their hostler rather than firearm specifically and I feel like that could be helpful to keep a situation from escalating.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Where are you getting that information from?
    I can't find it at the moment but the IN supreme court held that there was nothing in the IC requiring proof of insurance to be carried. Just that you had to provide proof to the BMV if ticketed or in an accident. An officer can still cite/impound for driving without insurance, but not having proof with you is not RAS/PC of it, they have to have other reasons to do so.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Where are you getting that information from?
    I read/heard it somewhere, looked it up at the time, and been stopped maybe 3 times since then, twice the police did not ask, once did and I told him I didn’t have it because I didn’t have to have it and he didn’t push the subject any further.
    Let me off with a curbstomping.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Correlation, causation, can’t prove a negative, something something.

How do you know?

IIRC a few of the po po on here have said they don’t want to see it.

Believe what you want. :n00b:

Every officer I have handed my LTCH to have been respectful and appreciative. They have also expressed it verbally.

I like to get where I'm going. Normally get pulled over doing so every other year or so. My speeding tickets became warnings when I started handing the officer my pink card along with my license. Happily got me out of having to participate in that expensive bribe program that is the Traffic Infraction Deferral Program. :)

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Believe what you want. :n00b:

Every officer I have handed my LTCH to have been respectful and appreciative. They have also expressed it verbally.

I like to get where I'm going. Normally get pulled over doing so every other year or so. My speeding tickets became warnings when I started handing the officer my pink card along with my license. Happily got me out of having to participate in that expensive bribe program that is the Traffic Infraction Deferral Program. :)

Well ok, the second part helps explain your logic. I’m one ticket for three stops in the last few years and don’t show my card.
    Glad we can all beliefs what we want.

Top Bottom