• ...and so much more!
  • Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Yeah I actually signed up for my license and completed all of the steps right as they announced going to Constitutional Carry. I frequent Kentucky, where I hunt and camp so it allows me to also carry there.

You may wish to check (I checked on this a while back) but I don't think you need a license to carry in Kentucky if you are over 21 and can legally own a firearm. I do travel to other states that require that I have a license, so it is not a bad idea to have one if you travel some.

Lpherr

Occupied
    You may wish to check (I checked on this a while back) but I don't think you need a license to carry in Kentucky if you are over 21 and can legally own a firearm. I do travel to other states that require that I have a license, so it is not a bad idea to have one if you travel some.
    I heard that traditional baby shower gifts in Kentucky are, dentures, chewing tobacco, cinder blocks, and firearms.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    I always inform and doing so has gotten me out of several tickets. If they me if I know why they stopped me and I'm guilty of the reason the officer stopped ill openly admit it, if not I will politely respond that I didn't realize I was speeding or whatever it was.

I did more than a California stop once and as soon as I saw the officer hit his brakes I knew what I'd doneand admitted to it. Siad officer ran my license and came back and thanked me for being honest and gave me my license and permit back and said to be more careful with the stop signs and then he drove off.

Courtesy and caution go a long way. I did leave both hands on the wheel and when he asked me for license and then told him that I was carrying and had a permit and asked him how HE wanted me to proceed.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Too much overthinking. Keep hands on the wheel. If dark, turn on interior light. Roll down window. Let the officer take it from there. If needing to get something from where a gun is located, advise the officer.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    As a young man I was pulled over with ARs and shotguns laying in the backseat. I didn't have proper cases back in those days. I had just left the range and neglected to take my P226 off so it was OWB in a retention holster. I was pulled over by a Sheriff for speeding. I was more than a bit nervous not knowing how this was going to go.

He came up and asked for my license and then asked where I was coming from. I told him I was shooting clays at the Linden Conservation Club. The next thing he said was "how did you do"?. I told him I averaged 18 and we chatted a bit and he let me go.

I'm not sure that would happen today given the pressure police are under.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    This happened almost 30 years ago. I was pulled over for speeding by an ISP trooper driving a Camaro. He said I was doing 57 mph in a 55 mph zone. As I was getting my license out, he saw the pink piece of paper under my license. He asked if I was armed. He replied that I was armed. He asked if he could see the gun. I told him, "yes". As I was pulling my Glock 23 from the holster, I glanced over to see what he was doing. He was standing beside my car with his hand on his gun, ready to draw. I normally would have cleared my gun before I handed it to him. However, given his reaction, I just handed it out the window butt first. He came back to my my car after a couple of minutes and asked if there was a round in the chamber. I informed him there was round in the chamber. I was rather nervous. I hoped he didn't shoot himself clearing it. No judge or jury would have believed that he shot himself.

After that incident, I moved my LTCH away from where I kept my driver's license. I also don't mention I'm armed.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    follow it up with "you'll never take me alive! and...i've been smoking pcp!"

make sure you're streaming on facebook live
    Or Bud's line from Repoman

"Come and get me copper! I'm well armed and I know where you live"

And I think that line is actually an homage to a much earlier Cagney movie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Getting Pulled over seems to be a thing of the past as it hasn't happened to me much and the last time was 10+ yrs ago. Once, "What are you doing in this neighborhood?" was the first question from the officers mouth. "Just passing through." was the reply given. Another occasion, "Do you have any drugs or guns in the car?" was the first words from the officers mouth. "Really?" was the reply given. I'm all for compliance when pulled over by LEO. But what kinda **** is it for the LEO to come out of the gate with superfluous questions like that? If my weapon was to be exposed while opening glove box, stepping out, etc., I'd declare for sake of safety. I like the response above, "I have (carrying) nothing illegal." It seems like a calm, cool and truthful response.

KARP

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2020
    Nwi
    A good friend of mine was stopped for speeding twice within a three week period last year, two different towns, two different police officers.
    The first stop he immediately told the officer he had a handgun. The officer asked where and he told him in middle console.
    He was told to give him his information and not go near the console.
    Three weeks later same thing, pulled over again for speeding.
    Immediately told the officer about the gun.
    Cop looked at him and said "What the **** do I care." Two different towns, two different officers.
    Might have had something to do with two speeding tickets in three weeks. Lol

Lpherr

Occupied
    There used to be a guy here who would often say he wouldn't inform even if his gun was taped to his forehead.
    I suppose it would be pointless to inform in that situation.:dunno:

The preferred way to inform, is place vehicle in park, unbuckle seat belt, jump out of vehicle running toward police car, waving firearm in the air, yelling "I have a gun!".
    They will appreciate your honesty.:laugh6:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I suppose it would be pointless to inform in that situation.:dunno:

The preferred way to inform, is place vehicle in park, unbuckle seat belt, jump out of vehicle running toward police car, waving firearm in the air, yelling "I have a gun!".
    They will appreciate your honesty.:laugh6:
    Or unzip your pants. Run the muzzle out of your pants and stroke the slide as the cop approaches. The cop will appreciate the silly story to tell .

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I’ve seen people say that if pulled over while legally concealed carrying a firearm that you should always let the officer know, and I’ve also seen people say the opposite. I have my carry permit, I just want to know the right way to go about it incase I’m ever stopped while carrying.
    If your an app on your phone type, CCW is great.
    Very easy to select your permit state and see what other states recognize it, and has a great summary of laws per state, everything you need to know.
    Automatically updates as laws are changed, seems to keep up well.

If not that, then handgunlaw as mentioned above.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    It's been a long time since I've been pulled over - since well-before I even owned a handgun. (I was still in college.) So, I've not actually been in this situation.

How I think I'd handle it:

1. Get out license, registration, and insurance before cop approaches
    2. Turn on dome light, if dark
    3. Place hands at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel and wait for cop to approach
    4. Be friendly and cooperative, but offer nothing not explicitly required by the cop, and don't get chatty
    5. Realize that the cop will already know I have an LTCH (either from license plate or DL check)
    6. If cop asks if I'm carrying, be truthful. Avoid use of "gun" or similar. (E.g. "Yes, sir. I am carrying. My holster is X.")
    7. Follow officer instructions if/when given.
    8. Get internally annoyed/frustrated, if asked to get out of car, disarm, etc. - but save any reaction for later call to Guy or perhaps social media ranting.
    9. Allow the traffic stop to be ended, put my firearm back together/back in place, and go about my day

Personally, I think it is a violation of civil rights to be disarmed without RAS of presenting a danger to the officer, just as it is a violation of civil rights to be told to exit the vehicle as part of a temporary detention for a traffic violation. But thus far, the courts have disagreed with my view, and the time to express grievance is not on the side of the road during the traffic stop. So, I would do my best to ensure the traffic stop ends as quickly and as amicably as possible.
    Just FYI, Indiana no longer requires proof of insurance for a traffic stop.

Was stopped in Wyoming right after this was enacted in IN and the officer had to do some double checking but since IN didn’t require it they couldn’t either.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I’ve seen people say that if pulled over while legally concealed carrying a firearm that you should always let the officer know, and I’ve also seen people say the opposite. I have my carry permit, I just want to know the right way to go about it incase I’m ever stopped while carrying.
    I've never say anything unless they ask in Indiana.

jcole123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2022
    Indianapolis
    If your an app on your phone type, CCW is great.
    Very easy to select your permit state and see what other states recognize it, and has a great summary of laws per state, everything you need to know.
    Automatically updates as laws are changed, seems to keep up well.

If not that, then handgunlaw as mentioned above.
    I use the USCCA app as it’s free, but I’ve tried to have my states memorized. It’s usually easy to remember, because nut case states like Michigan and Illinois obviously would not reciprocate.

Top Bottom