• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Well ok, the second part helps explain your logic. I’m one ticket for three stops in the last few years and don’t show my card.
    Glad we can all beliefs what we want.

I'm sure the most of the reason for not getting tickets has nothing to do with handing the officers my LTCH. It's really just my sparkling personality. ;)

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I suppose it would be pointless to inform in that situation.:dunno:

The preferred way to inform, is place vehicle in park, unbuckle seat belt, jump out of vehicle running toward police car, waving firearm in the air, yelling "I have a gun!".
    They will appreciate your honesty.:laugh6:
    and they'll appreciate the chance for target practice even more

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I’ll have to double check then, because last I checked Illinois doesn’t recognize Indiana CCWs. Do you have a website link? I want to make sure I know exactly what I need incase I ever travel through Illinois. Thanks.
    i was told by chiraq pd that only cook county doesn't recognize in's ltch

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    i was "interviewed" by impd one morning after an incident at a gas station. as i was handing him my dl he noticed my ltch and immediately tensed up.

"where's the firearm?"

"at home. i don't carry very often."

the other officer: "why not?"

this was before my life & well being was threatened by blm supporters. now i carry everywhere i go.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    i was "interviewed" by impd one morning after an incident at a gas station. as i was handing him my dl he noticed my ltch and immediately tensed up.

"where's the firearm?"

"at home. i don't carry very often."

the other officer: "why not?"

this was before my life & well being was threatened by blm supporters. now i carry everywhere i go.
    Q: "Where's the firearm?"

A: "Irrelevant."

djay7677

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 29, 2022
    Mishawaka IN
    If you're not worried about your firearm becoming exposed when gathering paperwork and you know that the firearm is going to remain concealed, you don't really have to mention it. If you get nervous and fidgety being pulled over, or you have to fumble around to find documents, maybe mention it. Or mention it right away. Indiana doesn't have any law requiring it so it's going to have to be a personal choice. Just don't get yourself into a bad situation by not knowing either way what you'll do.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    It's been a long time since I've been pulled over - since well-before I even owned a handgun. (I was still in college.) So, I've not actually been in this situation.

How I think I'd handle it:

1. Get out license, registration, and insurance before cop approaches
    2. Turn on dome light, if dark
    3. Place hands at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel and wait for cop to approach
    4. Be friendly and cooperative, but offer nothing not explicitly required by the cop, and don't get chatty
    5. Realize that the cop will already know I have an LTCH (either from license plate or DL check)
    6. If cop asks if I'm carrying, be truthful. Avoid use of "gun" or similar. (E.g. "Yes, sir. I am carrying. My holster is X.")
    7. Follow officer instructions if/when given.
    8. Get internally annoyed/frustrated, if asked to get out of car, disarm, etc. - but save any reaction for later call to Guy or perhaps social media ranting.
    9. Allow the traffic stop to be ended, put my firearm back together/back in place, and go about my day

Personally, I think it is a violation of civil rights to be disarmed without RAS of presenting a danger to the officer, just as it is a violation of civil rights to be told to exit the vehicle as part of a temporary detention for a traffic violation. But thus far, the courts have disagreed with my view, and the time to express grievance is not on the side of the road during the traffic stop. So, I would do my best to ensure the traffic stop ends as quickly and as amicably as possibleI
    I believe #1 is incorrect. If the officer notices you digging around, she may assume you are either retrieving or hiding a gun/drugs or whatever. Make #1: Turn off ignition and place keys on dash. Not my idea. I heard it from a video by M. Ayoob.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My favorite is "Is there anything in the car I need to know about?" question. I always answer no. Because although I am armed, I'm not going to use it so he doesnt need to know about it.

Because when they know about it, they sometimes do stupid things like disarm you, tell you outright lies about the law, and accidentally point the loaded gun at your head while taking a photo of it to prove it was there during the stop. :facepalm:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I believe #1 is incorrect. If the officer notices you digging around, she may assume you are either retrieving or hiding a gun/drugs or whatever.
    Agree to disagree. Every single traffic stop starts with one request: license and registration. Every officer conducting a traffic stop knows that the driver is going to need to retrieve those items. Thus, it is unreasonable/irrational for them to assume that a reach into the glove box is related to some unlawful activity. Also: they've run my plate and know that I have an LTCH; thus, on top of Indiana being a permitless carry state, the officer knows that I have literally no reason to try to "stash" a firearm.

Make #1: Turn off ignition and place keys on dash. Not my idea. I heard it from a video by M. Ayoob.
    Keys? What keys? I'm not pulling my Fob out of my pocket. I'll certainly hit the ignition button, though.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    My favorite is "Is there anything in the car I need to know about?" question. I always answer no. Because although I am armed, I'm not going to use it so he doesnt need to know about it.

Because when they know about it, they sometimes do stupid things like disarm you, tell you outright lies about the law, and accidentally point the loaded gun at your head while taking a photo of it to prove it was there during the stop. :facepalm:
    This is where it would be difficult for me to hold my tongue, even though I know that I need to. That question is a warrantless/RAS-less fishing expedition.

I hope I'd just respond with, "No, sir."

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    This is where it would be difficult for me to hold my tongue, even though I know that I need to. That question is a warrantless/RAS-less fishing expedition.

I hope I'd just respond with, "No, sir."
    Like being asked where you are coming from or where you are going.

Last time I was pulled over it was for supposedly failing to signal a lane change at 7:30AM on a Sunday morning. First question, where are you going? I responded "why". That put an end to the 20 questions. I was let go with a verbal warning. I'm also pretty sure he was wrong. I turned right onto the highway into the right lane, moved to the left lane and then into a left turn lane in a 1/4 mile. I'm sure I used my signal each time.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Like being asked where you are coming from or where you are going.

Last time I was pulled over it was for supposedly failing to signal a lane change at 7:30AM on a Sunday morning. First question, where are you going? I responded "why". That put an end to the 20 questions. I was let go with a verbal warning. I'm also pretty sure he was wrong. I turned right onto the highway into the right lane, moved to the left lane and then into a left turn lane in a 1/4 mile. I'm sure I used my signal each time.
    Very similar to the situation I mentioned previously, which was the last time I got pulled over. The officer - out doing a ticket-quota run, possibly - was finishing up one stop. I went by him, one lane over for safety, around a bend in the road, and signaled a return into the right lane for the upcoming right turn I needed to make. He ended his stop and then chased me down into a grocery store parking lot, to berate me for reckless driving and failure to signal a lane change.

I uttered nothing not absolutely required to end the stop, and then went to my court appearance. After waiting around for about an hour after my hearing time, I let the prosecutor plea it down to a $25 parking violation. I was prepared - complete with Google Map views of the scene in question - to have him bring the officer in to explain his citation.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Last time I was stopped, it was because one of two lights that illuminated my rear plate had burned out. The plate was still illuminated, fishing expedition for sure, but it was just after 3 am and I was on the way to the airport to catch an 0505 flight out so I understand that they are fishing for drunks and not for revenue. Was pleasant and cooperative and just got a verbal warning once he saw what he had. At the time we still had a duty to disclose and he asked why I wasn't carrying, that's when I told him I was on the way to the airport

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    Just FYI, Indiana no longer requires proof of insurance for a traffic stop.

Was stopped in Wyoming right after this was enacted in IN and the officer had to do some double checking but since IN didn’t require it they couldn’t either.
    They may not require it at the stop, but they will suspend your license if you dont have your provider submit proof of coverage through their website.

Ask me how I know.

Top Bottom