• ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I haven't read the entire thread so I only have one suggestion and I don't remember where I heard this...

Place your registration, proof of insurance, etc. in a zip lock bag in your glovebox or wherever. I go thru this process every year when we get new registrations. Make sure all vehicles have all documents in their zip lock bag. With two young sons (18,22) it has helped as they have been pulled over for the 1 light out on the license plate stop. :ingo:

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    Was this an accident? Or a ticket? If you don’t mind me asking….
    Just wondering what it escalated to this.
    Actually, both. I hit a deer in Oct of 2020. Actually showed proof of insurance at the scene, but ut 6 months later got a notification my license would be suspended in a number of days if my insurance company didn’t provide POI for the date of the incident through the BMV website. No infraction involved. Stupid deer dove into my headlight as I drove past.

January 2022, got a speeding ticket in Kentucky.
    6 months later- after traffic school and a bunch of other hoops, got a notice that my license had been suspended for failing to provide electronic proof of insurance to the Indiana BMV.

Fortunately was able to get my license re-instated, but the whole process is ridiculous, and their notification system is flawed.

Insurance company confirmed that Indiana is the ONLY state with this requirement.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Actually, both. I hit a deer in Oct of 2020. Actually showed proof of insurance at the scene, but ut 6 months later got a notification my license would be suspended in a number of days if my insurance company didn’t provide POI for the date of the incident through the BMV website. No infraction involved. Stupid deer dove into my headlight as I drove past.

6 months later- after traffic school and a bunch of other hoops, got a notice that my license had been suspended for failing to provide electronic proof of insurance to the Indiana BMV.

Fortunately was able to get my license re-instated, but the whole process is ridiculous, and their notification system is flawed.

Insurance company confirmed that Indiana is the ONLY state with this requirement.
    What a pain, sorry for your troubles and thanks for the explanation.
    I guess if it sounds to good to be true…

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I haven't read the entire thread so I only have one suggestion and I don't remember where I heard this...

Place your registration, proof of insurance, etc. in a zip lock bag in your glovebox or wherever. I go thru this process every year when we get new registrations. Make sure all vehicles have all documents in their zip lock bag. With two young sons (18,22) it has helped as they have been pulled over for the 1 light out on the license plate stop. :ingo:
    I keep my registration tucked above my visor (I never use the visor).

This business of you don’t want the officer seeing you rummaging around is complete baloney.
    What the officer will appreciate is seeing your hands already on top of the wheel, unmoving, with license and registration already in them with the window down and the light on.

Now when he asks for proof of insurance is when you can get all ‘am I being detained’ and start rummaging around.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else

Sounds like your insurance agent didn't do their job. They have to submit proof of insurance to the DMV after a reported accident even if you provide it at the scene. Too many people get insurance just to get the card and then stop paying or cancel. Cops at the scene don't know if your policy is valid or not.

Emo66

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2021
    Valparaiso
    I just hand my carry permit over with my license. That way they know. They ask where it is, I tell them. They always say leave it there for the duration of the stop. Never had an issue. I have nothing to hide.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I just hand my carry permit over with my license. That way they know. They ask where it is, I tell them. They always say leave it there for the duration of the stop. Never had an issue. I have nothing to hide.
    What is this "permit" you speak of? :lmfao: If I didn't make the "we have a License To Carry a Handgun here in Indiana" post, somebody else would've.

Emo66

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2021
    Valparaiso
    What is this "permit" you speak of? :lmfao: If I didn't make the "we have a License To Carry a Handgun here in Indiana" post, somebody else would've.
    Holdover lifetime carry permit (pink card). I understand that it’s no longer necessary but I think it just makes it clear for all parties involved. The last thing I want is a misunderstanding.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Holdover lifetime carry permit (pink card). I understand that it’s no longer necessary but I think it just makes it clear for all parties involved. The last thing I want is a misunderstanding.
    No, the "pink card" is a License To Carry a Handgun (LTCH). Indiana has a license, not a permit.

I have two (lifetime and 5 year) in my wallet. ConC didn't do away with the LTCH.

It's an INGO thing to point out Indiana has a license, not a permit.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    It’s been a while since I have been pulled over. About a decade. When in the stop do you tell the occifer that you’re a sovereign citizen and you don’t recognize this immoral laws? Is that before or after the “am I being detained” with your pistol taped to your forehead?

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    It’s been a while since I have been pulled over. About a decade. When in the stop do you tell the occifer that you’re a sovereign citizen and you don’t recognize this immoral laws? Is that before or after the “am I being detained” with your pistol taped to your forehead?
    You save the am I being detained line for last because that’s when they realize they’ve met their ultimate defeat, and you drive away.

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    This happened almost 30 years ago. I was pulled over for speeding by an ISP trooper driving a Camaro. He said I was doing 57 mph in a 55 mph zone. As I was getting my license out, he saw the pink piece of paper under my license. He asked if I was armed. He replied that I was armed. He asked if he could see the gun. I told him, "yes". As I was pulling my Glock 23 from the holster, I glanced over to see what he was doing. He was standing beside my car with his hand on his gun, ready to draw. I normally would have cleared my gun before I handed it to him. However, given his reaction, I just handed it out the window butt first. He came back to my my car after a couple of minutes and asked if there was a round in the chamber. I informed him there was round in the chamber. I was rather nervous. I hoped he didn't shoot himself clearing it. No judge or jury would have believed that he shot himself.

After that incident, I moved my LTCH away from where I kept my driver's license. I also don't mention I'm armed.
    You should've refused the gun when he brought it back, and informed him that you want a receipt. There was no reason for him to take your gun. By chance, was this trooper down around Sellersburg?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    His point is that it is a license not a permit. It is a license to carry handgun (LTCH) not a permit to carry handgun (PTCH). INGO is typically pretty pedantic about such things.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    **Personal Opinion - Not Legal Advice**

In Indiana, I would never want to be the first person to use the word "gun" (or equivalent) in an encounter with a police officer. Also, I will not lie is asked. That's me.

I have been pulled over a couple of times for speeding while carrying. Never came up.
    I carry a full-size pistol so it's going to be seen no doubt. I used to carry my wallet on the same side I carried my pistol. Back then if they asked for my Driver license I had to reach towards my edc pistol to get to my wallet.
    I would then inform the officer of that situation as I didn't want to be shot.
    I would then ask what he would like me to do with it. The two times I was pulled over in the last 25 years the officers told me to put it on the dash in front of me.
    I wonder if that is a common place to put it? Since I was told the same thing twice by two different Leo's from two different departments.
    I did so very slowly, and after getting my wallet and any other information I kept my hands on the steering wheel until the encounter was over.
    I am also very polite and do as I'm told. That helps things go smoothly I imagine.

Nowadays I carry my wallet on the opposite side, and I'll most likely never say a word about it unless asked

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I carry a full-size pistol so it's going to be seen no doubt. I used to carry my wallet on the same side I carried my pistol. Back then if they asked for my Driver license I had to reach towards my edc pistol to get to my wallet.
    I would then inform the officer of that situation as I didn't want to be shot.
    I would then ask what he would like me to do with it. The two times I was pulled over in the last 25 years the officers told me to put it on the dash in front of me.
    I wonder if that is a common place to put it? Since I was told the same thing twice by two different Leo's from two different departments.
    I did so very slowly, and after getting my wallet and any other information I kept my hands on the steering wheel until the encounter was over.
    I am also very polite and do as I'm told. That helps things go smoothly I imagine.

Nowadays I carry my wallet on the opposite side, and I'll most likely never say a word about it unless asked
    What do you mean “if” they ask for your drivers license?

Has anybody ever in the history of everybody never been asked for their license at a stop?

I agree very much with the rest of your post ( hands on the wheel, politeness) and think your question about the dash gun is interesting.

My question for you (and others) is why wouldn’t you have the license and registration out already?

And ‘I don’t want the officer seeing me fiddling before he walks up’ is not a valid answer, as he walks up if your hands are empty and on the wheel and they stay there is probably what he wants to see.

From the officers point of view anyone that wants to do him harm will have that well planned out ahead of time, no fiddling needed.

Top Bottom