• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I really like the looks of the compact 1911's. I am wondering what benefit a compact 1911 has over something like a Kahr PM9.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I've been considering an aluminum frame to put on my 1991A1 to "lighten the load" a little. Its a wee bit heavy to wear every day.

dondavis3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    DFW area
    My Colt Mark IV Officers Model.

ColtMKIVOfficersmodel.jpg

And here's the 1st 50 rounds shot of of it all those many years ago.

ColtOfficer45cal.jpg

It's been reliable and accurate forever.

By the way I don't post many targets - I'm not that good of a shot. :D

:cool:

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Several years ago, I had two officer-sized models go down in a 2-3 year period.

The Springfield died when I fed it a mag of +P ammo. Half-way though the mag, the slide starting hanging mid-cycle and would take 1-2 seconds before it started to come forward. I tried for months to get it fixed and working correctly including a couple of trips back to Springfield, but anytime I started shooting quickly it would start hanging up again. Sold it after about 1yr of messing with it.

The Kimber developed a problem w/ the grip safety malfunctioning and preventing the gun from firing. I was working up in northern Wisconsin and left it in my vehicle a long winter afternoon while I was at a clients and something must have gotten damaged / distorted in the freezing process. Kimber fixed it without a problem, but I could not bring myself to rely upon it afterwards and sold it w/in a week of getting it back.

Keep in mind that both of these were made in the mid-90s and from what I understand, the current generation has far fewer issues. I would, however, think about avoiding older models and/or +P ammo.

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    I went out and shot the new piece this weekend (it was a cold one) and I had a few issues with the slide not coming completely back into battery. I have a feeling that it had a lot to do with the fact that the wife may have been limp-wristing a bit, but it happened to me when shooting with one hand, also probably form related. It never hiccuped with the cheap stuff or the defensive jhp's. A few hundred more rounds without issues and she may be carry worthy.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I have a Kimber Ultra CDP II (3" model) and love it. After the initial 200 round break in (in which i did have 1 or 2 failures to feed) it has eaten and spit out everything i have fed it. Round count is at just over 1000 and no issues. It has been my EDC for about 2 years and cant imagine relying on anything more than it.

What he said...only mine is a crimson ultra...sounds about like my experience. FWIW.

rphutchi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Partial to Springfield. Purchased a used micro compact that was unreliable. FTF FTE. Sick to think of money spent on a lemon. Called Springfield and discovered how good they were to warrant their product no matter how many owners down the line I was. They paid for shipping both ways and pick up and delivery from my front door. 10 days later I had no FTF FTE. Makes it easy to buy Springfield.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    IMG_3208.jpg

Colt Compact, has more rounds than I can count
    para457xg1uw4.jpg

Para CCO, had this for more than 6 years and never a blip. At least a couple thousand rounds through it. Gonna be the project gun for this year.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I've carried a stainless steel Colt officer's model .45 for about 20yrs. It's reliable and reasonably accurate (3"-4" groups shooting unsupported at 50') but you do have to be vigilant about test firing it from time to time. I bought it used and over 20 yrs, have replaced magazine springs, the extractor, and the recoil spring twice.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I went out and shot the new piece this weekend (it was a cold one) and I had a few issues with the slide not coming completely back into battery. I have a feeling that it had a lot to do with the fact that the wife may have been limp-wristing a bit, but it happened to me when shooting with one hand, also probably form related. It never hiccuped with the cheap stuff or the defensive jhp's. A few hundred more rounds without issues and she may be carry worthy.

My RIA took a bit of break in as well. The stock ACT mag is not the best around. I've had good luck with my ACT mag, but the gun runs better with a Wilson Combat mag. The ACT mag hung up a bit during break in but seems to work Ok since though.

Contgrats on the new gun.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If you can find a nice one you may want to check out the Smith & Wesson CS45. It is no longer in production, but it is very popular and getting harder to find. Folks rarely sell them.

A 3.25" barrel and a nat's eyelash under 6.5 overall, they are very accurate and with the single stack it is slim enough to carry comfortably. The only thing I've done with mine to put on a pair of Big Dog grips. They are thinner and more comfortable than the factory grips. And, I've shot more uncomfortable 9s (KelTec) and even 380s (Taurus).

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    My RIA took a bit of break in as well. The stock ACT mag is not the best around. I've had good luck with my ACT mag, but the gun runs better with a Wilson Combat mag. The ACT mag hung up a bit during break in but seems to work Ok since though.

Contgrats on the new gun.

That's interesting. I didn't have a single problem with the ACT mag, but the three little issues were all with the wilson combat mag. Again I seriously think it was form related, not the gun.

SolidSnake99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Lowell, IN
    I'm glad i found this as I have been saving for a compact 1911 since I sold my Glock. I am debating on the Kimber Ultra Carry II 3" or the Pro Carry II 4". Not sure what I want yet. I loved my model 22 Glock but ever since I held a Colt Night Defender at the 1500 last year I knew I wanted a compact 1911. Being used to the 4" frame in the Glock I had I'm leaning towards that but if the accuracy between that and the 3" isn't noticeable I may go with the 3" for easier carry purposes. I guess it all depends on how familiar you are with the given platform as to the accuracy goes though...

Top Bottom