• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    I have heard a lot of discussion about the lack of reliability of compact 1911's (officers, compact, anything less than 4"). But nothing from anyone with first hand experience with one. I'm looking got the good, the bad, and the ugly (if you can call a 1911 ugly) of owning a sub 4" 1911.

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    What caliber?

Most of the reliability issues have been worked out. Although not a 1911 have you looked at an EMP? I have alot of rounds through mine in a short period of time and it just works, pretty accurate also.

PAPASHOT357

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    NWI
    I have a Kimber Ultra CDP II (3" model) and love it. After the initial 200 round break in (in which i did have 1 or 2 failures to feed) it has eaten and spit out everything i have fed it. Round count is at just over 1000 and no issues. It has been my EDC for about 2 years and cant imagine relying on anything more than it.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I can't say my 3.5" officers has been any more or less reliable than any other 1911 I have had. I've heard the tales of the Officer's model being unreliable, but I think that was when you had to get any 1911 smithed to make it carry-worthy (if those days did exist, I wasn't around them during that time period).

I know that the officer's being less reliable makes sense as you're shortening down the gun and springs quite a bit, so I do change out my recoil spring more often, every 1,000 rounds or so just because it's cheap to do so.

I really like mine, all steel and to me, the perfectly balanced carry pistol.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I have heard a lot of discussion about the lack of reliability of compact 1911's (officers, compact, anything less than 4"). But nothing from anyone with first hand experience with one. I'm looking got the good, the bad, and the ugly (if you can call a 1911 ugly) of owning a sub 4" 1911.
    I own SEVERAL DOZEN compact 1911 pistols, carry one daily and reliability with a well designed sub-4" 1911 is NOT an issue.

Some people have problem shooting compact 1911s, I've put compact 1911s into the hands of some of my friends and watched as they had failures to feed or eject but then taken the same gun, with them watching, and run the magazines without any issues. Its not magic, its just hanging on and enjoying the ride.

Compact 1911 pistols are less forgiving. The original designs were pioneered by Detonics in the 1970's and today every sub-4" 1911 utilizes some of the patents incorporated into the Detonics CombatMaster pistols. If engineered properly, a compact 1911 can be 100% reliable as well as accurate.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    "Finicky" is the term I heard when I visited Nighthawk summer before last and asked for an opinion about 3.5" 1911s. They will build one for you but it can be a tussle to get one to run right. I've owned 1 Kimber of that persuasion and it seemed to run fine but I only put a couple of mags through it. Just my :twocents:

direland

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Martinsville, IN
    Tired of carrying my full size 1911, got a Colt New Agent in 45 acp and I really like it. I have only put 100 rds thru it (185g). Trench lite works fine at 10 uards.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a Kimber Ultra (3"), an RIA Compact (3.5") and a Kimber Compact (4"). The RIA is the only one to have any issues and that was during break in and when using the stock mag. It's been perfect with Wilson Combat mags though. Both of the Kimbers have been perfect from day one.

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    I have been stopping in at my local shop for a few weeks to look at the same RIA compact. I'm not a big guy, so the compact frame fits me well, I'm glad to hear so much positive talk. I almost talked myself out of it. I suppose getting a mid size (I think that's what RIA calls their 4" model) wouldn't be a bad thing.

As far as caliber is concerned, it would be a .45.

I'm still considering the larger model, almost purely based on aesthetics. I almost always OC, so concealment isn't an issue. It looks more like a 1911 to me, plus the extra round doesn't hurt. I guess it will come down to price in the end.

I like the accuracy question. Any notable difference at reasonable distance?

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I am excited about the Sig 938 coming out. It is a compact 9mm 1911 style pistol. It is supposed to be the big brother to the Sig 238.

I had a Para Ordnance P-12. I had no issues except a broken frame. The gun worked fine and was very accurate.

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    Alright... I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna go pick up an officers RIA in .45 (unless someone beat me to it) timothy after work. Are there any objections? I thought not :)

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I've been considering trading my 5" Kimber for a 4" model but I also plan on shooting USPSA at some point and the 1" may mess with me mentally, lol.

Top Bottom