bit south of Indy

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Nice read about him.

There’s really no telling if he’ll ever become a good NFL quarterback or not, but I definitely think he’s made of the right stuff. He’s gonna be very easy to root for.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Somewhat off topic, but I keep hearing about the Washington Commanders allegedly breaking the rules for contacting Andrew Luck (since proven to be false) back in 2022, because they didn't ask the Colts first. Luck retired in 2019. Why would they have to contact the Colts organization first? He's clearly no longer a Colt. :scratch:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Somewhat off topic, but I keep hearing about the Washington Commanders allegedly breaking the rules for contacting Andrew Luck (since proven to be false) back in 2022, because they didn't ask the Colts first. Luck retired in 2019. Why would they have to contact the Colts organization first? He's clearly no longer a Colt. :scratch:

As I understand it since he retired while under an active contract, if he were to make a return to the league he would be under contract to the Colts. The Colts would have the option to retain him or could release him before other teams can approach him about playing.

I could be a bit off base but that's how I understand it

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

The Colts own the “rights” to Andrew Luck basically forever.

So that means if any team at any time wants Andrew Luck to play for them it would have to come via trade from the Colts.

Any team contacting Luck without speaking to the Colts first is tampering.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    As I understand it since he retired while under an active contract, if he were to make a return to the league he would be under contract to the Colts. The Colts would have the option to retain him or could release him before other teams can approach him about playing.

I could be a bit off base but that's how I understand it
    The Colts own the “rights” to Andrew Luck basically forever.

So that means if any team at any time wants Andrew Luck to play for them it would have to come via trade from the Colts.

Any team contacting Luck without speaking to the Colts first is tampering.
    Well that's just crazy IMHO. Once someone is done with an employer, they should be done. I understand ND agreements, but even those have an expiration date.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Well that's just crazy IMHO. Once someone is done with an employer, they should be done. I understand ND agreements, but even those have an expiration date.
    NO! He signed a contract to play x years for the Colts, he can retire and not play when he wishes, but if he wants to play again, he still owes the colts those unfulfilled years. He was a big boy that made an adult agreement and he should be man enough to live up to it.

Otherwise players would retire all the time to get to a better team or get a better deal. Brady could have signed a retirement deal with the Bucs to save them cap space, but it would have made him their property if he unretired, as it is he is a retired free agent.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    NO! He signed a contract to play x years for the Colts, he can retire and not play when he wishes, but if he wants to play again, he still owes the colts those unfulfilled years. He was a big boy that made an adult agreement and he should be man enough to live up to it.

Otherwise players would retire all the time to get to a better team or get a better deal. Brady could have signed a retirement deal with the Bucs to save them cap space, but it would have made him their property if he unretired, as it is he is a retired free agent.
    That makes more sense then. I was thinking that once he retired, that was it and the contract was done (I assume he didn't continue to get paid after he retired).

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I assume he didn't continue to get paid after he retired).
    Correct, but there often is the issue of the upfront cash signing bonus. Teams have the right to get a prorated portion back, play two years of a four year deal then retire, the team can claw back the unfulfilled two years of signing bonus if they want.

Sometimes with beloved players they do not even try, kind of a parting gift…

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Saw that Irsay tweeted about his top 4 or 5 NFL players. Included Brown and Brady but did not include, whos that guy? Played QB for the Colts for a few years? Maybe won a championship or two for them? Left and went to the Broncos? What was his name? Come on, Irsay. You don;t think you owe Peyton Manning some props?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Saw that Irsay tweeted about his top 4 or 5 NFL players. Included Brown and Brady but did not include, whos that guy? Played QB for the Colts for a few years? Maybe won a championship or two for them? Left and went to the Broncos? What was his name? Come on, Irsay. You don;t think you owe Peyton Manning some props?
    Maybe he doesn’t think he owes Manning anything. Actually Irsay and Poulian gave Manning everything they possibly could (he had freedom and called the shots like no player I have ever seen) and he only produced one championship.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

I think there’s a difference between “greatest” and “most accomplished”.

Brady is clearly far and away the most accomplished quarterback, BUT he also played under one of the greatest coaches of all time and had a consistently good team around him. Even in Tampa Bay, they sold their future to put together a roster of all-stars for that one year super bowl run.

As far as greatest quarterbacks of all time? Like the best to play the position? Who knows. There’s so many different eras of football, different rules and styles. Would Roger Staubach be a hall of famer if he played in 2020? We’ll never know. In my opinion at least, Manning is definitely in that conversation. He played the actual position of quarterback at unbelievably elite level for darn near two decades.

Manning was the better quarterback, but Brady got the rings so… :dunno:

Something like golf or tennis, it’s easy to see who’s the best. It’s just harder to figure out with football.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I think there’s a difference between “greatest” and “most accomplished”.

Brady is clearly far and away the most accomplished quarterback, BUT he also played under one of the greatest coaches of all time and had a consistently good team around him. Even in Tampa Bay, they sold their future to put together a roster of all-stars for that one year super bowl run.

As far as greatest quarterbacks of all time? Like the best to play the position? Who knows. There’s so many different eras of football, different rules and styles. Would Roger Staubach be a hall of famer if he played in 2020? We’ll never know. In my opinion at least, Manning is definitely in that conversation. He played the actual position of quarterback at unbelievably elite level for darn near two decades.

Manning was the better quarterback, but Brady got the rings so… :dunno:

Something like golf or tennis, it’s easy to see who’s the best. It’s just harder to figure out with football.
    Could Manning have played for the best coach of all time?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom