Classic Tractor Pics. Yours not yours, all things cool or not so cool.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have finally found a transmission from an Allis model CA for my B. The CA is a slightly bigger tractor, 2 rows instead of 1, but the same basic engine and torque tube. The transmission bolts in (more or less). I wanted the CA transmission because with the 4th gear (the B has 3), the B's final drives which are geared slightly higher than a CA, and a CA governor spring that gets me 200 extra RPM, I should be able to maintain a steady 14.5 MPH. The B tops out at 8.75.

Why does this matter? Every September there is a vintage tractor crossing of the Mackinac Bridge and you have to be able to maintain 10 mph to qualify. I am shooting for September 2025.

BTW- I am looking to sell the Woods L59 mower with all brackets, etc. because the B is being retired to parades, tractor runs and hayrides....if you know anyone.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans

D*** that’s a lot of Red!

Mike please tell me I’ve got you wrong and you’re actually a country boy?

I’ll probably kick myself if I’ve been wrong, had you pegged as a city slicker. If I’m wrong I’m going out to the barn with my I pad and take a picture of my gasser, a 65 IH 656. And post it. Of course tomorrow, but I will do it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    D*** that’s a lot of Red!
    It was the superior product the time. I like the others but my blood runs red.

Mike please tell me I’ve got you wrong and you’re actually a country boy?

I’ll probably kick myself if I’ve been wrong, had you pegged as a city slicker. If I’m wrong I’m going out to the barn with my I pad and take a picture of my gasser, a 65 IH 656. And post it. Of course tomorrow, but I will do it.
    When dad was running the combine he would fire up the H and have me move a wagon to the other end, he would press the clutch, I put it in gear, I was not big enough to push the clutch yet, just hit the kill switch to shut it down. Many of the machines I post I have ran or had a family member with that tractor or equipment. I posted this thread because it is like a memory lane for me. The newest big tractor I have operated was an 88 series International.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    It was the superior product the time...
    full

IMG_0897-1-1.jpg

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Definitely jealous of all of you the grew up on a farm or currently still farm and have tractors. That is truly one of the best blessing cause that is something that if your not born into or marry into you chances of becoming a farmer even if ya want to are near zero

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I thought that line might get a response. :lmfao:

I ran a 4430 for a neighbor back in the day. (This story is for you @Mij) A guy whose son would rather drink and chase skirts than fight to keep the family farm. I ponder that when I drive by and see the decrepit rotten old ban that is about all that is left of that family farm…

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I thought that line might get a response. :lmfao:

I ran a 4430 for a neighbor back in the day…

If I am honest, and you don't tell anybody in my family I said it, the early 70s IHs were probably superior. Even to the much prettier 4430.

But by the mid/late 70s, when the 4440 came out, IH was toast.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If I am honest, and you don't tell anybody in my family I said it, the early 70s IHs were probably superior. Even to the much prettier 4430.

But by the mid/late 70s, when the 4440 came out, IH was toast.
    The 4430 had the luxury of a Bentley over the 66 series. The IH power back in that day was nothing short of amazing, the 806 was turned up to near 1206 hp, the 1066 was turned up to near 1466 hp. Heck when dad got the H brand new in 52 they took apart a brand new engine and put in the M&W kit to where it had near the power of an M. (Dad always said because of shortages from the war and the booming economy tractors were hard to come by, he wanted an M but could only get the H, a couple of years later he got a 450.)

Top Bottom