• ...and so much more!
  • blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    John 2:13-15
    "Now the Passover of the Jews was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.
    And He found in the temple those who sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the money changers doing business.
    When He had made a whip of cords, He drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and the oxen, and poured out the changers’ money and overturned the tables."

Was Jesus being intolerant?
    Could Jesus have been charged with disorderly conduct and/or assault?
    Does this episode harmonize with a "go along to get along" or "win them with love" mindset?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    And He found in the temple those who sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the money changers doing business.
    When He had made a whip of cords, He drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and the oxen, and poured out the changers’ money and overturned the tables."

Does this episode harmonize with a "go along to get along" or "win them with love" mindset?
    or you aren't to judge no matter what?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    This is all 100% irrelevant. He was arrested for disorderly conduct, not trespass.
    So what? Point is that we are taking this at face value. When does ANYONE here take news articles at face value? Oh right, when it aligns with their belief system. Like I said, they very well may be 100% wrong but more info is needed. Like body cam or a detailed PC. My story was to lay out that a 100% legit arrest could be twisted to sound EXACTLY this article and many here would see it that way, take the story at face value.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    So what? Point is that we are taking this at face value. When does ANYONE here take news articles at face value? Oh right, when it aligns with their belief system. Like I said, they very well may be 100% wrong but more info is needed. Like body cam or a detailed PC. My story was to lay out that a 100% legit arrest could be twisted to sound EXACTLY this article and many here would see it that way, take the story at face value.
    Holy crow! This is one of the only logically consistent posts I've ever seen in this sub-forum. Great job.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus

I missed the part of the verse that wasn't about tax collectors and religious supplies price gougers.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    Any reasonable person would have to admit the go-along-get-along, be nicer than Christ method of witnessing Christians have done over the last 50 (?) years has done so much to gain followers and grow the church.
    Christ said he would build the church.

I know our church goes out multiple times a week to do “confrontational soul winning.”

Now that’s not us standing on street corners, but I’m not against that.

That’s just us going to apartments, trailer parks, neighborhoods and door knocking.

Usually inviting folks to church and then starting up a conversation.

Folks get lead to the Lord every week doing that.

We also run multiple busses picking up kids bringing them to church, have a ministry on Saturdays for 150+ Burmese kids, go to the Johnson county jail, and the Indy jail.

And tons of folks are saved through these and other ministries.

Now, we definitely try to baptize and disciple these folks when possible, but we aren’t doing these soul winning ministries to build the church.

We do them because we believe we are commanded to do so and a BYPRODUCT of that is that Christ will build our local church.

And I believe he has been faithful in doing that.

Yeah, this picture of a lily white hippie Jesus is so far from the truth.

He was a man’s man.

And if someone came into your house and started acting a fool, I would hope you wouldn’t just sit back and allow it to happen.

You’d forcibly remove them if necessary.

It’s your house. It’s the one place where you’re the king of your own castle.

First Passover--Cleansing the Temple​

(Matt. 21:12-17; Mark 11:15-19; Luke 19:45-48 )
    13 ¶ And the Jews' passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem,
    14 And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting:
    15 And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;
    16 And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise.
    17 And his disciples remembered that it was written, The zeal of thine house hath eaten me up.

Last edited:

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    or you aren't to judge no matter what?
    Yeah, folks took the “judge not lest ye be judged” wildly out of context.

John 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

We make judgements every single day.

How could we not?

The key is to not judge by your personal standards, but by the commands and principles based on the Word of God.

Like the OT makes it pretty clear that God didn’t like women dressing in men’s clothing and Vice versa.

That there were expectations on how men and women were to act.

That God made us male and female.

We have copyright and privacy laws because we value a creator’s rights over their own creation.

Why would we not give God the same credit?

That’s the biggest problem with the whole Trans movement.

They’re basically saying that they are their own god and they will do whatever they want. Who cares how their Creator created them. They won’t be bound by that.

Am I judging? You better believe it.

But I didn’t come to this conclusion from my own understanding, but by simple interpretation and logic from the Scriptures.

maxipum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Bloomington
    Well thank the lord we have video.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI

5 minute video of the event. As much as I disagree with the arrest, trouble really didn't start until it seems like the preacher started shouting towards someone, like he was trying to call someone out, which maybe why the officer detained him.

There are those on here that condemn the more confrontational style street preaching (which I am not saying these guys were doing). From a Christian point of view, it's easy for us to get into an "arguing for the sake of righteousness" mentality and shouting "you're going to Heck!", but this is rarely ever effective. Due to our egos, most people don't have the fortitude to self-reflect, especially based on the rules of the "crazy guy shouting at me". It's much more effective to give His Word in Its fullness, rewards and consequences in all, and let Him do the work, as you will very unlikely change minds at that moment. Those with the ears to hear will get the message, others may not, that is mostly beyond our ability to control.

However, from a constitutional standpoint, the shouting preachers have every right to shout on the public street corner as long as they are reasonably not disrupting traffic, calling for violence, etc.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    My statement was made from a standpoint of "you don't mess with me, I don't mess with you." To those that responded directly, 1) nobody rules the world, and 2) this is the approach the colonists were trying to take before the British taxed too much while giving not enough in return. What followed historically is what happens when decent men are pushed too far, which is way out of context for this thread but, in the spirit of INGO, of course allowed. I'm just here to have a good time, sorry if I ruffled any feathers.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    And if someone came into your house and started acting a fool, I would hope you wouldn’t just sit back and allow it to happen.

You’d forcibly remove them if necessary.

So you agree that the idiot yelling bible verses should have been removed?

Top Bottom