• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Are you saying that every single person with cancer should get chemo? Otherwise there is nothing to disagree with me about. All I wanted to do is make people think a little on their own, outside of what their "expert" doctors have to say.

Not at all... however I'm not the one saying that Chemo Kills either. Chemo is simply a cytotoxic treatment and there are literally hundreds that all target different types of cells. Many are quite palatable and many work very, very well, and are not deadly.

. Do you look at food labels whatsoever?

Possibly the best question ever asked about one's health. Folks argue about how expensive fresh foods are, however consistently buy cokes and expensive coffees or pastries and chips which hold zero nutritional value for the same price.

Here is a place that we can agree... :cheers:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Its a ridiculous analogy. A harmless bug that is simply an annoyance has nothing to do with a life threatening illness.

They dont make a cancer fly swatter. Chemo is a last resort procedure to save your life, its not something to be taken lightly and certainly should be up to the person going through it. But as I said before, the scare tactics trying to get people to question their doctor is not what needs to be done.

Talk to your family, your doctor, use your judgement, and if you have faith use that too.

Scare tactics... am I posting scary facts? You tell me which facts are invalid so I can defend myself. But if the numbers are accurate, then yeah, I would want to know that I have a 25-40% chance of dying immediately from my chemo treatments. Seems like a relevant bit of info that patients should be aware of.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Scare tactics... am I posting scary facts? You tell me which facts are invalid so I can defend myself. But if the numbers are accurate, then yeah, I would want to know that I have a 25-40% chance of dying immediately from my chemo treatments. Seems like a relevant bit of info that patients should be aware of.

Yeah maybe you do have a 25%-40% chance from dying from Chemo. But you have a 100% chance of death if you do nothing. That is a fact.

Up to the person if they want to do it or not.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

What if the statistics are skewed?

They are just general across the board. How was the person's health prior to treatment? Where was the tumor? How aggressive was it? How far along was it before it was treated? How long did the patient wait going undiagnosed before finally getting things checked out?

Everyone is different and each case should be handled on an individual basis. I wouldn't use a general assumption to make a very specific decision. But if you are simply trying to say to look at all options and not just automatically get chemo, then we would probably all agree. It just depends what fits the individual situation the best.

And the best treatment really starts with early detection.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I am actually more interested in your explanation of how a fly in your house is analogous to having cancer. I can ignore the fly with no ill effect. Not so with the cancer.

except the fly is easy to target and doesn't spread like crazy.

analogy = :noway:

Come on, is this the best you guys can do to troll my thread? Chemo destroys everything in its path, just like a grenade. That's the analogy. Pretend there is a badguy in the hallway outside your kid's bedroom. Throw the grenade?

All the people that die during chemo aren't here to give their :twocents: on the matter. Wonder how they liked it.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Come on, is this the best you guys can do to troll my thread? Chemo destroys everything in its path, just like a grenade. That's the analogy.

All the people that die during chemo aren't here to give their :twocents: on the matter. Wonder how they liked it.

The point was you were over-simplifing the situation.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Everyone is different and each case should be handled on an individual basis. I wouldn't use a general assumption to make a very specific decision. But if you are simply trying to say to look at all options and not just automatically get chemo, then we would probably all agree. It just depends what fits the individual situation the best.

That's what I'm saying. Maybe some people want it, but I don't think I would. Doctors are taught one approach and consider themselves experts. One of the articles I posted simply stated, Doctors 'rely on chemo too much'.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    my whole beef with stupid threads like this is that unless you yourself have had cancer, chemo, etc. and gone through the process you really don't have qualifications to say what works and what doesn't. for every study on the internet or medical journal that fits your liking there are just as many to the contrary. I don't give medical advice based on things I have never had happen to me because there is know way to speak wit any sort of authority on the things your talking about unless you've been through them. it's like spouting off on the net about how you would go all rambo on someone who would try to rob you when you've never been robbed.

Seconded

Scariest moment of your life is when a doctor looks you in the eye and says "you have cancer". Until that happens, you have no idea what you would do, or should do.

This is an accurate assessment of the situation.

As another cancer survivor of a cancer that was completely inoperable and WAS targeted specifically by Chemo and localized radiation I feel confident in saying that Rambone, in this specific thread you are talking completely out of your ass. Which by the way I fully support your right to do.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    As another cancer survivor of a cancer that was completely inoperable and WAS targeted specifically by Chemo and localized radiation I feel confident in saying that Rambone, in this specific thread you are talking completely out of your ass. Which by the way I fully support your right to do.

Glad you are one of the 60-75% who live through it. Hope it doesn't reappear like my aunt's did, after chemo.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Glad you are one of the 60-75% who live through it. Hope it doesn't reappear like my aunt's did, after chemo.

Me too, that's why I elected to have the optional localized radiation done as well even though it meant ~7-10 years off the life of my heart potentially because I was told my type of cancer (Non Hodgkins Lymphoma) is ~300% more likely to return after chemo alone without the radiation follow up.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Come on, is this the best you guys can do to troll my thread? Chemo destroys everything in its path, just like a grenade. That's the analogy. Pretend there is a badguy in the hallway outside your kid's bedroom. Throw the grenade?

But the analogy fails because the threat is completely different. To make your analogy work change the fly to the hunter in Predator. Would you use a hand grenade to kill him if he was in your kitchen, damn right if need be to save my life.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Me too, that's why I elected to have the optional localized radiation done as well even though it meant ~7-10 years off the life of my heart potentially because I was told my type of cancer (Non Hodgkins Lymphoma) is ~300% more likely to return after chemo alone without the radiation follow up.

thats why I had cranial radiation because if mine would ever come back it almost always comes back in the brain. interesting side note: I can use the "i forgot excuse with impunity and no one can't argue with me saying it because it's a legit side effect from the radiation. it does suck sometimes, like the other day I drove across town but had to call my wife to figure out what I was going to get. she thinks it cute so...

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I'm not sure how some people can say Chemo made someone die faster or harder, you can only choose to take it or not, there is no comparing fates. I see people on the verge of death all the time, chemo or not and it is not pretty. There are plenty of studies that prove that chemo can and does work but nothing in medicine is 100%, ever.

The guy that wrote that article does not even have a degree, here's his pedigree, read what you want out of it.

Andreas Moritz Biography

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I've now had cancer twice and the treatment was removal of the tissue plus radiation. The doctor was so good or the cancer was too small, I didn't need radiation.

If I'm 18 I'll do all I can to live. If I'm 80 I might not be that aggressive.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just lost a family member this week to cancer. Another one couple of months back. My Dad had many cancers over the years and many treatments including chemo. He repeatedly beat cancer and came back to very normal life.

I had a cancer that kills 95%, but did not have chemo. And I still look like Swayze's AFTER picture. And that was after about 2 years of eating as healthy as you can. I joke that all the hard work of not eating anything bad for me almost killed me. :) You do what you have to or want to do. Balance quality of life with other variables. You only have one time around.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    thats why I had cranial radiation because if mine would ever come back it almost always comes back in the brain. interesting side note: I can use the "i forgot excuse with impunity and no one can't argue with me saying it because it's a legit side effect from the radiation. it does suck sometimes, like the other day I drove across town but had to call my wife to figure out what I was going to get. she thinks it cute so...

Yes, I also suffered some pretty bad memory loss during chemo and I believe it has reduced my overall cognitive function but I still operate at a level high enough to be in engineering:D.

But yeah, unfortunately my wife doesn't think it's cute but she understands when I say I really can't remember stuff.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    IMO, NOBODY should talk bad about chemo UNLESS they have had cancer and gone thru the treatment themselves.

If you MUST talk bad about the chemo, at least have the decency to recommend other treatments. Or at least come up with a cure.

The facts don't lie. Far more people have survived cancer because of chemo. Yes it can be very harsh on ones body. But it does it's job.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I post about a variety of things, but I don't see how discussing alternatives to mainstream medicine is a tinfoily topic. I'm not talking conspiracies here.

These are honest things that people should think about. I'm just giving people some tidbits of info to chew on. People need to hear these things and see these things before their doctor sells them on his favorite cancer treatment.

Also, best of luck with your health.

Titling your thread "Chemotherapy Kills" and then going into the above shpeal is just plain contradicting. The title reads like some kind of tabloid headline......

And I realize everybody knows somebody with a cancer story.

Take my aunt for example. She went through chemo for breast cancer. That was 2 years ago. Today she says there is no way in hell she would ever do it again, because guess what, the cancer is back, and the doctors want to do it all over again.

And a coworker of hers died during chemo treatment. My aunt is who got me reading/researching about all this stuff.

Chemotherapy destroys your immune system right when you need it the most. One of those bullet points says to fight cancer by starving it of the foods it uses to multiply. Eat naturally, avoid carcinogens and junk like High Fructose Corn Syrup.

FYI...Cancer destroys your immune system when you need it most.....which is ALL of the time.

Processed foods make your cancer healthy and strong. Don't eat them.

Cancer doesn't have a tendency to go away all on it's own. A well planned regiment of chemo and radiation can effectively kill cancer and improve a patients quality of life in the long run. Eating "naturally" is a good idea, but it doesn't cure cancer. In the end, it's the choice of the individual that is unfortunate enough to be in a cancerous situation. Unless you have personal experience with chemo, your opinions sound nothing short of pompous. Why campaign on an anti-chemo platform? How about reserving that decision for a time when (god-forbid) you and only YOU are forced to make the choice?

Having your opinion is one thing, but maybe you should try and present it with a bit more tact. Especially in relation to such a sensitive subject.

/rant

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    IMO, NOBODY should talk bad about chemo UNLESS they have had cancer and gone thru the treatment themselves.

If you MUST talk bad about the chemo, at least have the decency to recommend other treatments. Or at least come up with a cure.

The facts don't lie. Far more people have survived cancer because of chemo. Yes it can be very harsh on ones body. But it does it's job.

^Agree!! 100%

I am rarely offended, but some of these posts are ticking me off:xmad:

Top Bottom