• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My MIL lived another 15 years because of chemo, had non hodgkins lymphoma. My aunt had the same thing and lived close to 20 years because of chemo.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think I would be hesitant to "rethink" my wife's doctor's treatment recommendation based on something I read on the internet.

Still saying prayers for your wife's recovery.

QFT- aggar, I would listen to wtfd on most things but especially this one. Why do you think our life spans continue to increase, modern medicine.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    No tin foil here. I just find it very ironic that a compound use to maim or kill thousands in WWI is now used to save lives.

So what, Penicillin came accidentally from mold. Stuff happens.

The possible prognosis after chemo would determine if I was willing to do it. It certainly isn't right in all cases, but the scare tactics are ridiculous. Everyone knows how bad it can be, everyone knows someone who has been through it.

Call me crazy but I would trust the judgement of an Oncologist, my family, and myself over some website.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I post about a variety of things, but I don't see how discussing alternatives to mainstream medicine is a tinfoily topic. I'm not talking conspiracies here.

well that's all fine and dandy but the overall tinfoil tone of the original post leads people to believe otherwise.:twocents:

No tin foil here. I just find it very ironic that a compound use to maim or kill thousands in WWI is now used to save lives.

trust me I wasn't too happy to find out what was going in my blood but now it's a great conversation starter.:)

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have found in my travels through the medical system that a lot of times a doc is more than willing to try something different only if you bring it up.

So, just because he threw Chemo out there, doesn't mean that's the last word on it.

Doesn't hurt to ask about interferon, proton, homeopathic, alternative surgery, etc.

Just make sure he/she gives a reason better than "just because" Also be prepared to understand his/her answer.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I have found in my travels through the medical system that a lot of times a doc is more than willing to try something different only if you bring it up.

So, just because he threw Chemo out there, doesn't mean that's the last word on it.

Doesn't hurt to ask about interferon, proton, homeopathic, alternative surgery, etc.

Just make sure he/she gives a reason better than "just because" Also be prepared to understand his/her answer.

depends on the doc and what school he went to mine wasn't really open to it but he honestly told me they didn't study but maybe a week on alternative medicine in school(johns hopkins) in his case he didn't want to do anything like that because he honestly didn't know about it enough to treat with it, not because he thought it was crap.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    And that's a fine answer, and maybe would be a good reason for someone wishing to use alternative treatment to find another physician that specializes in a specific type of cancer treatment.

Like I said, it never hurts to ask.

It's one of those instances when your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I think I would be hesitant to "rethink" my wife's doctor's treatment recommendation based on something I read on the internet.

Still saying prayers for your wife's recovery.

You sounds as if you think nothing is credible on the internet.

Look, I've planted a seed of thought in Aggar's head. It doesn't sound as if he has been presented with all the negative aspects of chemotherapy until now. He at least needs to know both sides. He can read and research as much as he likes, and choose the sources to believe. Obviously some sources are going to sell Chemo like it is the only way to live.

My wife will have to undergo chemo for her tumor since they couldn't get the entire thing. Makes me want to rethink what the doctor said. Any alternatives to chemo? Her tumor was on her brain.

First of all, I am very sorry to hear of this. Both my parents and one aunt have had cancer. It is a really scary ordeal.

My aunt who has managed to survive chemo, raves about this book, about the alternatives to treating cancer. Knockout: Interviews with Doctors Who Are Curing Cancer--And How to Prevent Getting It in the First Place

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    depends on the doc and what school he went to mine wasn't really open to it but he honestly told me they didn't study but maybe a week on alternative medicine in school(johns hopkins) in his case he didn't want to do anything like that because he honestly didn't know about it enough to treat with it, not because he thought it was crap.

Sounds like your doctor was only qualified to give you one cookie-cutter answer. :twocents:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I will say people need to get 2nd and even 3rd opinions. nothing is dumber than putting all your eggs in one basket when it comes to your life. I was lucky to have an oncologist who wasn't pissed when I challenged his approach and actually did the leg work for me to get second and third opinions and in some cases it caused him to tweak my treatment from his norm.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    my whole beef with stupid threads like this is that unless you yourself have had cancer, chemo, etc. and gone through the process you really don't have qualifications to say what works and what doesn't. for every study on the internet or medical journal that fits your liking there are just as many to the contrary. I don't give medical advice based on things I have never had happen to me because there is know way to speak wit any sort of authority on the things your talking about unless you've been through them. it's like spouting off on the net about how you would go all rambo on someone who would try to rob you when you've never been robbed.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    A lot of Cancer survivors on here... Maybe we should start a user-group.

I agree a lot with what Tyler is saying. Scariest moment of your life is when a doctor looks you in the eye and says "you have cancer". Until that happens, you have no idea what you would do, or should do. There are a lot of options and you'll have to do your own homework.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom