• ...and so much more!
  • skybbgzh

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    By the end of last year, I wanted to get a compact-sized 9mm as a concealed carry EDC. After shooting some range rentals and watching tons of YouTube videos, I got a Springfield Armory Hellcat Pro. Shot around 300-400 rounds including the rental and loving it already. The ergonomics feel good, the recoil is very manageable compared to those subcompact handguns, and it's relatively cheap. Basically it shoots like a G19 but conceals like a G43X.

The only issue I ran into seems to be the red dot's shake wake system being too sensitive. Even when I put it on the table, typing on the keyboard would turn the dot on. But Holosun rated the battery life at 20,000 hours so maybe this isn't so much of an issue then.
    IMG_20240504_173835.jpg

Quickfoot11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2024
    Noblesville
    I think it would be good to err on the side of a sensitive shake awake. The holosuns are good to go. I have a regular hellcat (and 365, 365xl), but would prefer a hellcat pro.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    By the end of last year, I wanted to get a compact-sized 9mm as a concealed carry EDC. After shooting some range rentals and watching tons of YouTube videos, I got a Springfield Armory Hellcat Pro. Shot around 300-400 rounds including the rental and loving it already. The ergonomics feel good, the recoil is very manageable compared to those subcompact handguns, and it's relatively cheap. Basically it shoots like a G19 but conceals like a G43X.

The only issue I ran into seems to be the red dot's shake wake system being too sensitive. Even when I put it on the table, typing on the keyboard would turn the dot on. But Holosun rated the battery life at 20,000 hours so maybe this isn't so much of an issue then.
    View attachment 351975
    Good choice! Nice looking rig you picked up there.

skybbgzh

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    Nice set up you have there. My only question is: When did SA start putting a manual safety on the Pro? News to me!
    No, the thumb safety is optional. I picked mine to have the safety but there are versions that came without. As listed on the SA website and my local dealer, the two versions are identical in price.

skybbgzh

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    Nice set up you have there. My only question is: When did SA start putting a manual safety on the Pro? News to me!
    Sorry I missed the question there, I googled it and believe that SA started offering Hellcat Pro/RDPs with thumb safety since June 2023. Hope that helps!

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan

View attachment 351975
    That’s exactly what I tell people who don’t know much about the Hellcats. For me, this gun is such a good shooter that I actually shot it better than a duty Glock 19/17 with a red dot and won Top Gun at my last qualification day, much to the chagrin of the HSLD boys that were there. :cool:

skybbgzh

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    That’s exactly what I tell people who don’t know much about the Hellcats. For me, this gun is such a good shooter that I actually shot it better than a duty Glock 19/17 with a red dot and won Top Gun at my last qualification day, much to the chagrin of the HSLD boys that were there. :cool:
    Exactly. I think the one of its major selling points is the 1" thick grip. Actually quite impressive that this handgun can hold 15-round magazine while being this thin. I think this is the sweet spot between low printing and easy recoil management.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I have M&Ps, Shield Plus, Sig P320 AXG...but if I had to choose only one pistol for everything, from the nightstand to concealed carry, it would be my Hellcat Pro. The size/weight/capacity ratio is perfect. Or as one might say...perfection. :)

skybbgzh

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    Only thing I wish they had was 20-round stendos
    I think I saw it on Instagram one day, ProMag seems to have those 20-round mags. They even have a 50-round drum for the hellcat if I'm not mistaken. IMO these higher capacity magazines are a bit overkill for a compact frame handgun. 17 rounds would be plenty to solve the problem I'm facing, whether it is self-defense or maybe competition target shooting, given that I don't miss too many shots.

skybbgzh

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    Update 5/14

Took this new gadget to the range for a few more trips and the round count is now at 550. Including the one rental gun I shot before purchasing this, the total round count with this gun model is somewhere around 700 right now.

One thing I did notice is that, the stock trigger from Springfield has a strange friction feeling in the take-up travel. I am assuming the trigger body or the connector(or both) is rubbing against the frame, creating a spongy feel when pulling the trigger. Several YouTube videos and articles also confirmed such friction exists. I decided to invest in an Apex Tactical Action Enhancement Trigger Type 3 to see if it would change things up.

Apex Tactical included a new spring for the sear and a new striker spring along with the trigger body. After installing these parts, the weird friction was eliminated. Now the take-up travel is smooth and linear all the way to the wall. The reset feedback feels mostly the same, if not more positive. I was unable to feel the difference of the new striker spring, it looked and felt about the same as the stock one. I also measured both trigger bodies. The bottom of the Apex Tactical trigger is about 0.05 inches thinner than the stock trigger allowing some free room. Apex Tactical trigger also employs a slightly wider connector seat gap for easier install.
    IMG_20240512_020044.jpg IMG_20240512_042243.jpg
    So, after trying out this new trigger myself, I can say this is a substantial upgrade for the Hellcat and Pro and would recommend every owner try one out to enhance their shooting experience.
    Thank you very much for reading such a long report and wish you have a wonderful day.

Also a PSA to owners of Hellcats with thumb safety: When pulling the sear housing out, please please remember to cover the left side of the housing using your thumb as it contains the detent and spring for the safety switch. If you pulled it out straight without any precaution, there's a very high chance of finding yourself searching for two very small pieces on the floor. I spent 20 minutes canvassing every inch of carpet in my room just to retrieve that detent spring. So do yourself a favor and do not make the mistake of letting these parts fly away while disassembling. IMG_20240512_035553.jpg
    IMG_20240512_040343_1.jpg

Top Bottom