• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txgho1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    DFW
    OK the Monon is off limits to motorcycle traffic so that is not to worry.
    I rode over this morning as soon as I read this thread and between 9:45 and 10:30 I saw one uniform drive around that block and nary any encounters of any kind. Sounds like Saturday mornings GIMPs meet at the coffee shop quit regularly.
    Great coffee by the way.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Metro, I think sometimes we do forget that LEO's are people too. It has a lot to do with the media and the way they are portrayed (either as saints or devils, seldom anything in between). I do think that you may have been a bit more dismissive than necessary with Kirk. I can understand your umbrage, as you are a member of the force as well.
    I don't believe equating open carry to being senseless is a sentiment that you would want to use to label the many who do open carry.
    One last thing, and don't take this the wrong way, but if the situation were reversed would the LEO in question take ignorance of the law as an excuse? Perhaps this is one of the things that irritated Kirk, I don't know.
    I have been lucky and have had nothing but pleasant dealings with officers, so it's hard to say how I would react in this situation. I am not looking for a confrontation, but do open carry at times. I am aware of where I can carry and where I can't. I am also aware of places that would prefer I don't carry so I don't patronize those establishments.
    I attribute Kirk's comment about the sad, unhappy man to residual anger over the situation.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    And unlike a civilian, who is deserving of sympathy and concern when possibly battling depression, this "gimp" is deserving of only scorn and ridicule, since he's not really human, as evidenced by the badge.

As a member of IMPD, let me formally apologize to you for him. (If indeed, your story is accurate) It's obvious that his interference with your sacred right to prance around Broad Ripple with your super-duper custom 1911 in your custom leather rig has affected you deeply, to the point that you label yourself "unimpressive" and include the same in your signature line. Clearly this sad, unhappy gimp has had a profound effect on your self esteem.

As a matter of explanation for this extraordinary encounter, may I offer the fact that the sad, unhappy gimp may have not encountered an open carrier before,
    I endeavor to educate the officers I work with about the laws regarding firearms in our fine state, but being human, they sometimes forget whether open carry is legal or not. We deal with a LOT of different laws, covering a vast amount of different situations. Open carry is very uncommon in the metro area. Especially in Broad Ripple, from what I hear. Hence the unfamiliarity.

Perhaps it may be more helpful if you contact his supervisor with your concern?

Please accept this online pat on the back. You'll be ok...really. Other than the propensity to spend big bucks on custom 1911 knock-offs, of course.
    as most people who carry a pistol legally for self defense also possess the tactical and social sense to keep it concealed. You know...like a tool for self defense, rather than a political statement or magic talisman to ward off evil. :dunno: I believe it is up to us weather we open or cc so I dont realy get this statement ! Still a free country 4 now !

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    And unlike a civilian, who is deserving of sympathy and concern when possibly battling depression, this "gimp" is deserving of only scorn and ridicule, since he's not really human, as evidenced by the badge.

First, I don't know anything about the case at hand except what has been posted here, so take what I have to say as more of general thoughts rather than specific to this particular case.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with the point you appear to be trying to make here. I can have a great deal of sympathy for an officer having personal problems such as depression. I can also object most strenuously when those personal problems start affecting those around him.

Yes, being a police officer is a tough and demanding job. It's also an important one (I know enough history to know that). People criticize the police with lines like "when seconds count, the police are only minutes away" and "all the police can do is come and draw chalk lines around your body" and stronger statements, but the deterrent effect, both from their efforts to catch criminals so they can be punished and from the "they can't be everywhere, but they might be anywhere" aspects alone adds a good bit to my safety. And sometimes (not as often as anyone, including most police I expect) it happens that the police are on the scene to stop a crime in progress and maybe save someone's life. I'm not going to discount that because it doesn't, can't, happen every time.

Still, if an officer is having personal problems such that he cannot maintain a calm, professional manner when dealing with someone legally carrying a handgun, then perhaps that officer should be assigned to duties that require less interaction with the public until those problems can be brought under control. After all, most of the people that officer has to deal with won't know about the personal problems and be able to make allowances for it. They'll just see it as "police arrogance" and make the "image problems" that the police often have even worse.

:twocents:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yep!!! I can't help but wonder why Prometheus hasn't joined in on the cop-bashing:dunno:
    :popcorn::thumbsup:

WTF is your problem? when have I ever "cop bashed"? Please link to an actual thread and post.

When did anti-mcBama turn into cop bashing? Don't hate me just because I make it harder for you to sleep at night.

As to metro40's post, that's just bad form. I take just as unkindly to "citizen bashing" as I do "cop bashing".

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    WTF is your problem? when have I ever "cop bashed"? Please link to an actual thread and post.

When did anti-mcBama turn into cop bashing? Don't hate me just because I make it harder for you to sleep at night.

As to metro40's post, that's just bad form. I take just as unkindly to "citizen bashing" as I do "cop bashing".

Ok gentlemen, play nice.
    Crystalship1, I am with you on most posts, but you are mistaken here. Prometheus and I go round and round on politics, but I have to take his side on this one. He is not a cop basher.

I, myself have the utmost respect for LEO's and second amendment supporting attorneys.

I think metro40 had good intentions when making his post, but he let loose with some condescending remarks that totally screwed it up. Maybe he would like to have them back?

Top Bottom