• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I don't have hard numbers but the city has been throwing around the 500k+ figure for a while... just look around downtown, there are acommodations and attractions that blow away what happens in Speedway.

Sounds like they're expecting 150k here Superbowl weekend. I guess more may come in go over the course of the week... like locals going down there this weekend to check things out. I saw something about there being 150k visitors in town and only 25k restaurant seats downtown and 700 cabs. Things will be busy the weekend of the game!

Street Team Update! | Indianapolis Super Bowl Highlights

The stadium will hold about 68,000 for the game (normally 63,000 IIRC), making it the 4th smallest ever.

http://www.indystar.com/article/201...012-Headlines-Game-should-among-smallest-ever

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Take my word for it, everyone on the East coast especially New Yorker's fervently believe that everything West of the Hudson is a vast wilderness. And everyone West of the Alleghenies is a savage. They are most likely expecting to see John Wayne and Rambo milling around in the crowd. :rolleyes:

PS: They are probably more concerned with falling off the edge of the world when they get this far West. :D

From 1976:

steinberg-newyorker.jpg

In indiana its a Class D felony to point a gun at another person. (IC 35-47-4-3)
    How is it not a felony to point a gun a person who is mugging a person that isnt you or a member of your group?

IC 35-41-3-2
    Use of force to protect person or property
    Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:
    (1) is justified in using deadly force; and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.
    Blessings,
    Bill

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    The stadium will hold about 68,000 for the game (normally 63,000 IIRC), making it the 4th smallest ever.
    Good thing there aren't any real teams competing this year. Small-market cheaters and large-market wannabes from New Jork....or is it New Joisey, I forget...

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Cool!

From 1976:

steinberg-newyorker.jpg

Blessings,
    Bill

Cool! I have not seen that cover before, but I spent way too much time in,"The Big Apple" and for ten years the chief of our flight department and my direct supervisor was a guy born in the Bronks and raised in Queens. He swears his first job in High School was as a door gunner on a bread truck in Queens! :D

MagicKev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    In Indiana we have the right to carry and for no reason should that be taken away for a special event. I would definitely carry and I would for sure draw on a mugging. Good questions though.

I'm not arguing what our rights should be. But what is your take then on the fact that you can carry on the state fairgrounds, but CANNOT carry DURING the state fair?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'm not arguing what our rights should be. But what is your take then on the fact that you can carry on the state fairgrounds, but CANNOT carry DURING the state fair?

Define what you mean by his (or anyone else's) "take" on it?

Are you asking for an opinion of the IAC or the reasoning behind it or an explanation of where it is in the law or something else?

No sarcasm; I'm just not following your question here.

Blessings,
    Bill

MagicKev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    I'm just trying to open dialogue with Biggearl and anyone else for that matter when they state that for no reason should our right to carry be taken away for a special event. When in fact that exact law is already in place.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    What is the expected attendance for the Bowl? Think last year's game was about 103,000.
    The seating for Lucas Oil has been increased for this game to about 68,000. I don't know how many people will come from out of town that don't have tickets just for the other events. Even if you double that number, you probably wouldn't beat the infield crowd at the 500 in it's prime.

inccwchris

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Southside of Indiana
    The difference is that the Speedway is built and designed specifically for a large venue, Lucas Oil is not, so we will then have an extra 1-200000 people in the Metro area. Things are gonna get crammed up, not to mention at least a third of the streets are closed because of all the various concerts coming to town. The interstates are already backing up and the darn game is still two weeks out.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    For what's worth I plan on walking into down town during next week just look around, snap pictures etc. I will carry as I always do. I will let you all know how it turns out.

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    You will have no problems anywere downtown on the streets. Now you might not be able to get into certain areas right around Lucas Oil were they have areas block off to everyone except to those how have tickets to get into the Superbowl. Some bars might have pat downs like you have going into concerts but you won't have any other problems.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    You will have no problems anywere downtown on the streets. Now you might not be able to get into certain areas right around Lucas Oil were they have areas block off to everyone except to those how have tickets to get into the Superbowl. Some bars might have pat downs like you have going into concerts but you won't have any other problems.

You want to put a small wager on that? :dunno:

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    that statement is wrong. the Super Bowl is going to dwarf the 500. There will be more folks in town this Febuary than the 500 ever dreamed of attracting.

I don't really understand how this is possible. The track attracts several hundred thousand attendees, plus the 33 racing teams, etc., and involves nearly a month of practice, quals, etc.

Lucas Oil seats less than 70,000, plus two teams.

I just don't see how there will be more people for the football game.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I don't really understand how this is possible. The track attracts several hundred thousand attendees, plus the 33 racing teams, etc., and involves nearly a month of practice, quals, etc.

Lucas Oil seats less than 70,000, plus two teams.

I just don't see how there will be more people for the football game.
    Because more will be in town for the circus that surrounds the game, more people watch football on TV than watch Indy car racing (on the seasons as a whole and Superbowl vs 500) know the names and are happy to get close and watch on the big screen in a local bar than will do so for the race. More people can list of coaches and assistant coaches and players names than they can for Indy ca teams. They've got statics from past year that there will be more prostitutes transported to Indy for the weekend than people that will be at the game first hand (based on the 150k estimate from the Feds and the 70k stat you provided). You're going to have people in town to see the stars that are in town, people here just for the NFL experience, people here to visit when things are made nicer for the event just like people travel to where the Olympics are being held so they can be around the buzz and in the "clean" "safe" areas.

And IME there's a lot of atmosphere with an auto race that doesn't hold true with a football game, you don't get the smell of fuel and tires and wind from the movement of the cars; so it's a lot easier to watch a football game on TV and get an equal or better experience, and I really can't say the same for auto racing. Don't get me wrong the 500 is a great race and I'm glad Indy has it, but the Superbowl is a bigger cash cow for the city this year.

As for carry I plan on avoid as much of the crowds as I can, but if I'm remotely near the area I'll be carrying 2 guns and spare mags:draw:, any restrictions on my carrying will place restrictions on my wallet.

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    The count of people the day of the race in speedway for the Indy 500 is anywere from 300,000 to 400,000 and this doesn't count the people who have came to town for the time trials and for open track practice. The superbowl have more press coverage and people spending more money but I would like to see if they will have more then 300 to 400 thousand people come to town during the next ten days for all the superbowl events. This will be very intresting to see.
    The most-attended sporting events in the country? Races, baby - From the Marbles - NASCAR*Blog - Yahoo! Sports
    What is shocking is this artical.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1189728/index.htm
    To see the riches sporting events in the world this is a goodone to look at.
    http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mme45efhm/fedex-cup/

Last edited:

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    CtWest;I'll be walking around this weekend and plan on OCing. I'll give updates.

Archbishop;For what's worth I plan on walking into down town during next week just look around, snap pictures etc. I will carry as I always do. I will let you all know how it turns out. _________________

:popcorn: Report back .

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I'm lookin' for some recon today, if anyone is going. Me and the fam are headed to the NFL Experience and Super Bowl village on Sunday, and I'm only worried about security deciding to wand or do patdowns.

Top Bottom