• ...and so much more!
  • Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Does anyone have an "Absolutely Legit Legal Answer" to this one? :dunno:

I'm not talking about what *you would do*, I'm asking what the legal specifics will be.

I work NIGHTS downtown and will be right in the thick of everything. I carry everyday and I'm slightly concerned that Homeland Security may have a section of downtown on lock down (i.e. Criminal Weapon Charges even with a valid license).

I don't have the choice NOT to be downtown during this event, but I want to be absolutely sure I still have the right to carry.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The City has leased large portions of downtown to the NFL. All of the "event" venues (including city streets that were once public property) are temporarily property of the NFL. As such, it is THEIR rules that will be enforced.

Maybe some of our local LEOs that are working NFL security can chime in about how things are being handled?

Personally, I am staying well away from this whole fiasco.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I work NIGHTS downtown and will be right in the thick of everything. I carry everyday and I'm slightly concerned that Homeland Security may have a section of downtown on lock down (i.e. Criminal Weapon Charges even with a valid license).

And what exactly would that charge be? If it's not illegal to carry at that location under state law, then it can only be prohibited by the property holder. What law would Homeland Security charge you under?

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I was carrying in the crowd when Obama gave his speech downtown on the mall. Only those that could get close had to go through a metal detector. Of course if anyone tried anything, there were snipers on every building.

Probably not many metal detectors will be downtown and I would not leave my gun at home anyway. Business as usual, just more people.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    In indiana its a Class D felony to point a gun at another person. (IC 35-47-4-3)
    How is it not a felony to point a gun a person who is mugging a person that isnt you or a member of your group?

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    My only concern would be one of the Feds spotting my gun and not being fully up-to-speed on IN law cause a scene. But that's not going to stop me from carrying in the next couple of weeks.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    In indiana its a Class D felony to point a gun at another person. (IC 35-47-4-3)
    How is it not a felony to point a gun a person who is mugging a person that isnt you or a member of your group?

So if someone starts shooting at random people in the mall you wont do anything because they are not part of your "group"? :n00b:

You can defend a third party, you dont have to know the person in order to do that.In a self defense situation you wont be charged with a felony for pointing a gun at your attacker, or the attacker of that third party, obviously.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    So if someone starts shooting at random people in the mall you wont do anything because they are not part of your "group"? :n00b:

You can defend a third party, you dont have to know the person in order to do that.In a self defense situation you wont be charged with a felony for pointing a gun at your attacker, or the attacker of that third party, obviously.

Obviously if I saw a deranged person shooting at others, then i would do my best to take cover and return fire. And if i saw a mugging happening I would most def step in if I could with out further endangering the victims or myself. I had just read that law and it got me thinking, about the aftermath that could come about for stepping in.

FFJakeT

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Take my word for it, everyone on the East coast especially New Yorker's fervently believe that everything West of the Hudson is a vast wilderness. And everyone West of the Alleghenies is a savage. They are most likely expecting to see John Wayne and Rambo milling around in the crowd. :rolleyes:

PS: They are probably more concerned with falling off the edge of the world when they get this far West. :D
    If John Wayne and Rambo are what they expect, let us not dissapoint them!!! haha. I have thought about this too, first just how annoying downtown will be, with the east coast thing. second, i thought, great, 2 areas (using nyc and boston, not all of NE) that think only criminals have guns on the street.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I think they (the east coasters) would be thoroughly disappointed if they didn't see a bunch of Hoosier Rednecks with shotguns hanging out of their pickups driving down dirt roads with Dixie horns blowin.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    that statement is wrong. the Super Bowl is going to dwarf the 500. There will be more folks in town this Febuary than the 500 ever dreamed of attracting.

What is the expected attendance for the Bowl? Think last year's game was about 103,000.

In terms of attendance, the Indy 500 is the largest single-day sporting event in the world. With 250,000 seats, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is the largest sports venue in the world. Annual attendance generally draws more than 400,000 spectators.

Of course, that was in the hay-day. Not sure what the attendance has been recently.

EDIT: Just for fun, I kept Googleing....
    Looks like Indy has the top 2 spots for largest sporting events: the 500 and the 400. The NFL gets.... #10.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/blog...rting-events-in-the-country?urn=nascar,243650

Last edited:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I don't have hard numbers but the city has been throwing around the 500k+ figure for a while... just look around downtown, there are acommodations and attractions that blow away what happens in Speedway.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Can anyone confirm that standard IMPD patrolmen won't be allowed up to certain areas of the outside of the stadium? Even cop credentials won't allow you past 'the fence'?

Such BS if true. Nothing like being treated as a visitor in your own home.

I'm asking because I wonder how/what will take their place? Dhs tacticlown squads?

gunsrfun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    I heard that they will be having check points downtown and you gun is not allowed to enjoy the festivities. Of course that's just what I heard and we all know the info is rock solid.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    We've seen in other threads that the Super Bowl is considered a "National Security event", but unless I missed it, just how much of the area around Lucas Oil is covered under that designation?

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    I'm guessing if "they" are powerful enough to stop rail traffic for this circus, they've got enough pull to cause anyone carrying, even legally, a huge amount of grief. Wouldn't carry there, as such, won't go there.

Top Bottom