Can you be a Libertarian and a tea partier?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I was just looking at who is running for Congress in my district. One candidate is a Libertarian but a tea party activist. Now to me that makes no freaking sense. Or am I so tired I'm hallucinating.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I was told that anyone can be a member of the tea party... oh, I mean a tea party activist.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    What doesn't make sense about it? The "Tea Party" is comprised of people from all walks of life, from what I understand.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The "Tea Party" isn't a party but a group of people who want to restore the USA back to what the founders designed it to be.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I was just looking at who is running for Congress in my district. One candidate is a Libertarian but a tea party activist. Now to me that makes no freaking sense. Or am I so tired I'm hallucinating.

I just can not see a Liberal being a tea party activist. It's something new to me. It just shocked me I guess.

Uhm, Libertarian, or Liberal?? :dunno:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Libertarians are not actually "liberals". They are considerably conservative, even MORE so than most Republicans.

Almost never my experience. The Libertarian Party is heavily infiltrated by folks on the left, the prime reason I left it and became a Republican many years ago.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Almost never my experience. The Libertarian Party is heavily infiltrated by folks on the left, the prime reason I left it and became a Republican many years ago.

That's interesting... Ron Paul initially ran on a libertarian platform and comes across very conservative IMO anyways.

But either way, check out the parties FAQ page:

FAQ | Libertarian Party

Direct Quote:

"Libertarians strongly oppose any government interfering in their personal, family and business decisions. Essentially, we believe all Americans should be free to live their lives and pursue their interests as they see fit as long as they do no harm to another.

In a nutshell, we are advocates for a smaller government, lower taxes and more freedom."

Sounds far from "Liberal" to me.

I GUESS one could say they are Politically Conservative... But Socially Liberal.

I.E. Low taxes, less government.... but they don't care if gay marriage or abortion exists.

That's just my impressions though. They also seems to fit well with a lot of Tea Party initiatives politically.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Most average people would consider libertarians as conservative on fiscal stuff and liberal on the social issues. That isn't really correct but it is close if you don't want to get into some nuances.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Why don't you find out for yourself? :)

Advocates for Self Government

Ten questions to give you a pretty good idea. When you're done, IIRC, you can see what each of the categories' description is.

Blessings,
    Bill

Libertarian

Libertarians support maximum liberty in both personal and economic matters. They advocate a much smaller government; one that is limited to protecting individuals from coercion and violence. Libertarians tend to embrace individual responsibility, oppose government bureaucracy and taxes, promote private charity, tolerate diverse lifestyles, support the free market, and defend civil liberties.

I like this definition a lot! This is what I thought Republicans were years ago, until I was told that I couldn't be a Republican, that is a Religious Right Republican, because of my belief in the areas highlighted in red.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009

Hey Joe, what years where you involved with the party? Did you ever attend any meetups or policy sessions? Did you ever attend a county or state Libertarian Party convention? Who was the Libertarian Parties presidential candidate when you where a party member? Would you care to share an example of far left policy that drove you from the party?

You have made this claim for quite a while now. It would be interesting to know how you arrived at this conclusion.

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    From my experience Libertarians have been far left.

I don't belong to a party really, but I fit the Libertarian ideology and fit their view points the most. I think a lot of the moderate right is seeing so many people run to the far right and calling it the left. That's just my observation though. I'm not a perfect example of any party or ideology though. I have, what are they called? Oh yes a mind of my own.

Top Bottom