Can you afford to quit your job and be part of the Great Resignation?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

I've heard several of the "vax'd" say that if the "un-vax'd" get locked out, they're going with.
    Cause otherwise, they'll be required to work hours and hours of overtime.
    They've even went so far as to NOT send a copy of their vax card to management.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I've heard several of the "vax'd" say that if the "un-vax'd" get locked out, they're going with.
    Cause otherwise, they'll be required to work hours and hours of overtime.
    They've even went so far as to NOT send a copy of their vax card to management.
    We need more of this. I know it would be tough to walk off a job. I mean most of us need that steady paycheck to eat.

But if a large portion of people refuse to get vaxxed and/or show proof of it, business will come to a day of reckoning and gov will have to relent. Or end up sending our country down an even deeper hole.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I've worked in hell for 30 years.
    I'm retiring the end of the year.
    I just can't take it anymore.
    I worked there for a year. I’ve been getting up and going to a place unusually don’t want to be since 1994. At least 5 days a week for a minimum of 50’weeks per year. I’m ****ing done. My wife has never had to work like that. She’s always had summers off, spring, fall and winter breaks. I’ve had a total of 6 Black Fridays I didn’t have to take a vacaday to have off in 27 years.

No. Retirement comes **** those people.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I can’t understand this train of thought. I really can’t. **** this work ****.
    I like what I do. What can I say?

Best advice I ever had about career choices was, try to find a line of work that you’d want to do even if you didn’t have to make money at it.

If I didn’t have to earn money doing it, I’d still do it as a hobby. So I might as well keep doing it for pay until I can’t do it anymore.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Best advice I ever had about career choices was, try to find a line of work that you’d want to do even if you didn’t have to make money at it.

If I didn’t have to earn money doing it, I’d still do it as a hobby. So I might as well keep doing it for pay until I can’t do it anymore.

I ABSOLUTELY hate that line.
    With that line, society would probably fail.

Yup. It's great if you can find that job.
    But you still need the icky and dangerous jobs done, that people don't WANT to do.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

You are one of the lucky ones. Or blessed. Or whatever you want to call it. I would say that upwards of 80% of people wouldn't do their job unless they were getting paid for it.

My sister-in-law was able to do that along with her husband. They both went to school and learned what they needed to for what they wanted to do. Now over 30 years later they are still doing what they love and they, like you, won't retire until they can't do it anymore.

I could never find that passion that would pay enough to afford the lifestyle I desired for my wife and children so though I have enjoyed many parts of my career, I wouldn't do it for free.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I wouldn't do my job if I weren't paid to do it, but I do really enjoy my job. I'm lucky that I find what I do interesting and even luckier that I have a manager that creates and environment that I want to be a part of. If it weren't for my manager, I would probably be working for another employer.

jkholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    To be perfectly honest, I hate my job. I never wanted to be in IT at all, kind of got roped into it. Yes, I am in the process of trying to get out of it completely and do something entirely different. I want to be away from employers, and go into business on my own. I don't know if that makes me part of this "great resignation" or not, but I want out and to work on my own terms, in a completely different industry.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    When I worked I enjoyed my job most days. The last few years I had a great boss and that made my job more enjoyable.. Been retired but still working part time for the last 7 years. IF someone decides my medical history is public record I won't be working anymore. I hope it doesn't happen but I'm prepared and expecting it at some point.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I ABSOLUTELY hate that line.
    With that line, society would probably fail.

Yup. It's great if you can find that job.
    But you still need the icky and dangerous jobs done, that people don't WANT to do.
    I know. When I heard that line I was laid off from a career that pretty much moved out of the US. But, I decided to figure out what I liked to do and retrain for that. It meant going back to school in my 40’s and getting another degree. Worked a **** job while going to school and that’s pretty much it.

I’ve done the thing where you go to work and hate just about every minute of it. Working for and with ****** people. There’s nothing wrong with deciding to change what you do, at least enough that you don’t hate it. And if you end up liking it, well I admit that’s rare.

But I get that it’s not practical once you’re deep into a career. I’d still be working in the job I didn’t like if I hadn’t been laid off. When I was out if work it was a necessity to make the change.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I know. When I heard that line I was laid off from a career that pretty much moved out of the US. But, I decided to figure out what I liked to do and retrain for that. It meant going back to school in my 40’s and getting another degree. Worked a **** job while going to school and that’s pretty much it.

I’ve done the thing where you go to work and hate just about every minute of it. Working for and with ****** people. There’s nothing wrong with deciding to change what you do, at least enough that you don’t hate it. And if you end up liking it, well I admit that’s rare.

But I get that it’s not practical once you’re deep into a career. I’d still be working in the job I didn’t like if I hadn’t been laid off. When I was out if work it was a necessity to make the change.

Well, also.. who would be a janitor, garbage man, septic tank emptier, etc.
    You do the job.. for the money.
    If you like it, that's great.
    But very few people would be working those nasty jobs because of "like".

I'm pretty sure the steel mills would have VERY few employees.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well, also.. who would be a janitor, garbage man, septic tank emptier, etc.
    You do the job.. for the money.
    If you like it, that's great.
    But very few people would be working those nasty jobs because of "like".

I'm pretty sure the steel mills would have VERY few employees.
    Do you do it because someone needs to do it?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Do you do it because someone needs to do it?
    I do it for
    0*MZQS3HSzqYWWfuAR

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I don’t understand making a point of who would do these other jobs then. Everyone pretty much works for the money. I’m not doing it for free either.
    The whole "do a job you'd do for free".

I doubt many dirty, or dangerous jobs would have been done for free.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The whole "do a job you'd do for free".

I doubt many dirty, or dangerous jobs would have been done for free.
    No. Like I said, I’d probably still code as a hobby if I didn’t have to earn a living. That doesn’t mean I’ll write software for other people for free. That’s not what that statement means.

I like firearms as a hobby too. Would be cool to make money from that somehow but I don’t have the skills to monetize it in a way that I could earn a decent living. I suspect that if you had a hobby, just something you really loved doing, and it required highly sought skills, you could probably find work doing that thing, and end up happily doing it.

Maybe if you get bored after retirement you might find something you like doing that you could make money doing.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Yes, I resigned in the fall of 2019.

Unexpected good fortune in 2019 when a business I had a small piece of wood to international conglomerate and paid WAY more than the business was worth...

In the fall of 2019 I had health issues,
    Took the opportunity to get my knees replaced again...

Employees wanted to buy my machine shop out, made them a heck of a deal on it.
    They ran it anyway, pretty well community owned and operated, so we just put it on paper the first of January 2020.

Then COVID hit.

I'm still 'Land Lord' (still own the building, $1 square foot per month rent) and I'm still electrical power supplier.
    No charge for electricity when it's sunny and directly supplied by panels,
    About half grid rates when it's sucked from batteries.
    Like I said, heck of a deal!

Why not? I don't need the money, and they built the business into what it is today.
    The contract calls for much more money in the event things go south and I need the money, but right now they are paying me off at a much faster rate, because of the increased profit margins, so I'm good with it.

I think of them as family anyway...

When I got to feeling better, some of the medical issues resolved,
    I went to work in April 2020 to help a friend out that COVID hit hard.
    Food delivery.
    National emergency and all that stuff...

Stopped that a little while back, partly to the forum here...
    When the forum members decided that big trucks delivering food and everything else they consume was 'Bad' I quit.
    (Seen store selves lately?)
    Even got threatened for delivering food...

Now, over the second cup of coffee at the table instead of rushing out the door,
    I decide if it's a fishing day, a garden day, a gun range day, a tinkering in the shop day, or just watching cartoons in my underwear and decide about lunch if I'm putting pants on today or not... ;)

Can't say it sucks getting to sit down and eat a meal in peace, not having to put up with the stupidity & insanity of vendors/customers, getting to BS & visit with friends/family, or just hide out all day and not see anybody...

I'm hoping people find something they actually WANT to do.
    I'm also hoping they don't do shady stuff to pay the rent...

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

I sometimes wonder how "the economy" would do if labor and income was not taxed.

Top Bottom