Can you afford to quit your job and be part of the Great Resignation?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I don’t know what I’d move to that pays more than I make now. I wanted to work in the adult film industry but that dream was crushed when my dad took me to the ER to get checked when I was 8 or 9.
    :rofl:

Well played!!!

On a personal note. I love what I do at the bedside. I love interacting with patients. I detest the structure that exists around that now. Unfortunately the system is killing my joy. Not sure how long I'll last.

Trying to push retirement savings but not cut back lifestyle. That means i need to work more, which will likely hasten my frustration and Exit. Vicious cycle.

I dream of downsizing and moving to FL. Working a part time job at a slow ER to cover expenses, but then i feel i owe it to my family Tree to do what i can to buffer them from the crap that may be coming. Money helps that. Sigh.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I retired at age 46 and became a stay-at-home dad, my wife is an attorney so we weren't hurting for money, and half of what I made just went to taxes and work related expenses anyway.

12 years later I can still honestly say that I have absolutely zero interest in having a job and have never looked back. Those of you that think work is important, good on ya, keep at it, but I enjoy doing whatever the heck I feel like. Never been happier or healthier.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Unless Publishers Clearinghouse knocks on my front door, I will need to continue to work.

To be honest, even if they did, I would probably still work. Sure I may spend the winter on the beach in Sarasota, but after that would find something to do. I like to stay busy.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Spouse is about to be 65, so we looked at getting signed up for Medicare. I am not retired and I work full time for good pay in a work from home IT job. Medicare sucks, and none of the supplements we looked at covered prescriptions worth anything, so the spouse will be staying on my health insurance as long as I continue to be employed there. So we are both working on our self health to try and get off some of these drugs so we don't have to hand over our life savings to the pharmas and marble walled hospitals.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I retired at age 46 and became a stay-at-home dad, my wife is an attorney so we weren't hurting for money, and half of what I made just went to taxes and work related expenses anyway.

12 years later I can still honestly say that I have absolutely zero interest in having a job and have never looked back. Those of you that think work is important, good on ya, keep at it, but I enjoy doing whatever the heck I feel like. Never been happier or healthier.
    Work is important, but it doesn't have to be work for money or work for someone else.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

Both of my brothers retired early. Neither are unhappy with that choice. Us three boys have enough interests outside of work to fill up the extra 40-50 hours/week.

The only reason I'm not following their path is financial.

My "identify" is not in my work. It's in what I do outside of work.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Both of my brothers retired early. Neither are unhappy with that choice. Us three boys have enough interests outside of work to fill up the extra 40-50 hours/week.

The only reason I'm not following their path is financial.

My "identify" is not in my work. It's in what I do outside of work.
    I think you hit the nail on the head with your last sentence. Whether it is Covid, or whatever else, a lot of people are realizing that their job title is not their identity and re-evaluating how they want to spend their time. The financial part is obviously the difficult part to work out.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I think you hit the nail on the head with your last sentence. Whether it is Covid, or whatever else, a lot of people are realizing that their job title is not their identity and re-evaluating how they want to spend their time. The financial part is obviously the difficult part to work out.
    identity though, not identify. Oops. Not like me to miss something like that. :)

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I could but I don't want to. What the heck would you do all day?

I've been having to take care of family with failing health and mental faculties for the past couple years.

Between maintaining multiple properties, rebuilding and remodeling to keep things from falling apart, and trying to get in odd jobs on the side to make a buck to stay afloat, there's absolutely no shortage of things to get done. It'd be physically impossible to grind out a 40+ hour work week on top of all this.

At least I played things smart when I had the time available for a regular job, and can live relatively comfortably for the time being.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Top Bottom