• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Morgan12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Illinois
    I was raised on a hog farm and had a chance to test a few self defense loads on some dead pigs this is what I’ve found.

Bullet weight from a handgun is key. I shot some pigs that died of natural problems.

9mm from a Glock 26. I shot 115 hollow points from Remington they did very poor as well as Rainer coated bullets they would just hit a rib and follow the bone not break the bone they would ride along the bone and deflect. Not opening up at all.

147 gr critical duty hornady however did great plowing through bone both sides of the rib cage hitting everything and busting both shoulders lodging in the skin from 15 yards out. I’d highly recommend this load. The bullets expanded awsome and damage was unreal. Golden sabers did ok but separated from the jacket.

I also tried 30 carbine critical duty from 50 yards if you can find this load the damage was unreal nice clean entry hole however the exit wound was about a half dollar size and it just messed up that vitals area. It did blow clean through the pig however.

45acp in hornady critical duty was great at 15 yards and punched nice big hole lodging in the opposite side alone like a pimple.

Just figured I’d put this out there bullet weight means a lot in self defense loads.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    TBH Remington green/white box HP ammo is not very good and Hornady Critical Defense / Duty is one of the better ones. I think this is more akin to a "which hollow point design is better" test , though I do tend to agree go heavy for 9mm with 124gr and 147gr HST kinda being the gold standard IMHO.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I was raised on a hog farm and had a chance to test a few self defense loads

I also tried 30 carbine critical duty from 50 yards if you can find this load the damage was unreal nice clean entry hole however the exit wound was about a half dollar size and it just messed up that vitals area. It did blow clean through the pig however.
    I am glad others are catching on, this load and one other really shows what 30 carbine is really capable of. I use it on live piggers, they don’t stay live very long at all when shot with it, knocks them right down.

The other is an underwood cavitator load

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I was raised on a hog farm and had a chance to test a few self defense loads on some dead pigs this is what I’ve found.

Bullet weight from a handgun is key. I shot some pigs that died of natural problems.

9mm from a Glock 26. I shot 115 hollow points from Remington they did very poor as well as Rainer coated bullets they would just hit a rib and follow the bone not break the bone they would ride along the bone and deflect. Not opening up at all.

147 gr critical duty Hornady however did great plowing through bone both sides of the rib cage hitting everything and busting both shoulders lodging in the skin from 15 yards out. I’d highly recommend this load. The bullets expanded awesome and damage was unreal. Golden sabers did ok but separated from the jacket.

45acp in Hornady critical duty was great at 15 yards and punched nice big hole lodging in the opposite side alone like a pimple.

Just figured I’d put this out there bullet weight means a lot in self defense loads.
    You are absolutely correct sir in that bullet weight is a factor in depth of penetration, whereby bullet weight (generally starting around 150 grain) helps to create or generate its own 'momentum' (aka, kinetic energy - or energy that is disbursed) when it strikes something.
    Lighter bullets do not tend to produce 'momentum' so they have to be driven faster in their attempt to overcome the lack of momentum and, as a result, do not tend to push through objects as well.
    Heavier bullets have a tendency to perform better in longer barrels, because, due to a slower acceleration rate, there's more time for the powder to burn, resulting in higher velocities, which aids in generating momentum, especially with the heavier bullet.

Morgan12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Illinois
    I am glad others are catching on, this load and one other really shows what 30 carbine is really capable of. I use it on live piggers, they don’t stay live very long at all when shot with it, knocks them right down.

The other is an underwood cavitator load
    If I could find more of these I would buy them for sure and they were critical defense not duty sorry, I’m wanting to find some XTPs for the 30 carbine to see how they do if any diffrent at all. I just ordered some soft point bullets to load as well.

I’ve got a few 327 federal guns I’d like to load up some XTPs I just bought in them in both H&R and 327 federal to see if there is much difference.

I once got the chance to do live fire in a house and inspect the damage by diffrent round but that’s another story!

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    If I could find more of these I would buy them for sure and they were critical defense not duty sorry, I’m wanting to find some XTPs for the 30 carbine to see how they do if any different at all. I just ordered some soft point bullets to load as well.

30 Carbine soft points are okay, and do better then the ball rounds. And yeah both the loads I posted are now unobtainium. Thankfully I have a couple thousand rounds of that Hornady stuff stashed from the the late 2010 era.

The Underwood load I mentioned was hard to find even then, but I have a couple hundred.
    It gets jokes and laughed at when people look at it, but its no joke. Hmm... Midway actually had some.. $2 bucks a round though. But it was expensive before, its a no lead bullet.

368033.jpg

Morgan12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Illinois
    30 Carbine soft points are okay, and do better then the ball rounds. And yeah both the loads I posted are now unobtainium. Thankfully I have a couple thousand rounds of that Hornady stuff stashed from the the late 2010 era.

The Underwood load I mentioned was hard to find even then, but I have a couple hundred.
    It gets jokes and laughed at when people look at it, but its no joke. Hmm... Midway actually had some.. $2 bucks a round though. But it was expensive before, its a no lead bullet.

368033.jpg
    How’s the accuracy with the under wood. We can hunt with straight walled rounds now in Illinois I’d love to take a deer with one of my carbines. $2.00 a round ain’t awful compared to 20ga sabots

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    How’s the accuracy with the under wood. We can hunt with straight walled rounds now in Illinois I’d love to take a deer with one of my carbines. $2.00 a round ain’t awful compared to 20ga sabots
    Pretty good, if only because its a single metal construction.

IV8888 did a video on them.

Morgan12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Illinois
    I’m thinking I’ll order some of these and try them on a few dead pigs first. I’m really thinking the point of impact is gonna change a lot being these are little rockets. If they don’t punch through the pigs shoulders I’ll report back here.

If they work I’ll probably put a Burris fast fire on the carbine and use it as my eyes suck anymore. Looking at a forward style hand guard Mount but they ain’t cheap

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I’m thinking I’ll order some of these and try them on a few dead pigs first. I’m really thinking the point of impact is gonna change a lot being these are little rockets. If they don’t punch through the pigs shoulders I’ll report back here.

If they work I’ll probably put a Burris fast fire on the carbine and use it as my eyes suck anymore. Looking at a forward style hand guard Mount but they ain’t cheap
    I just aim lower with the irons, the Carbine has big course irons anyway

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    West side of Indy
    Personally, I have not had a problem punching a hole through a paper target no matter the distance, nor the weight, nor the caliber.

Though I have been carrying some light 9mm external hollow points for quite some time.

Top Bottom