• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SynnerG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Hope this is the right place to ask, but I'm looking at getting into IDPA, but I'm completely new to this and looking for some guidance. I read over the sticky for gear and I have an XD-M in 40, with two extra mags with mag holders, and a stiff carry belt and holster. Beyond that though, I'm in Bloomington and not really sure where the closest place these matches take place and how easy it is to go to an event and be like "I've never done this before, so don't laugh..."

Is there someone I should talk to specifically or a site to visit for signing up? Are there normally entrance fees or are there open times for newbies? Any direction is appreciated!

indycruzr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Indy Westside
    SynnerG, there is an IDPA match this Saturday (09/03) at Altanta CC, in Altanta, IN. Here is the link to their website - IndyIDPA. Atlanta is about 20 minutes north of Indy. You might also check out the IDPA Forum - IDPAforum Forums.

For the Atlanta match, show up before 9:00 so you can attend the new shooter's meeting. Register to shoot, then tell your RO/SO you are a new shooter. The RO/SO will help and answer any questions for you.

PM is you have any specific questions. Always willing to help new shooters to IPDA.

I wish you well. Remember to bring plenty of ammo!

RangeJunkie

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Geist
    Everyone at the matches I have been too (USPSA and Friday Night Steel) everyone is always very friendly. So I'm sure the people at IDPA will be the same. Honestly, you will prolly be surprised at how many people at the competition are registered users on here. It's a small world! Have fun in what you decide to do! :ingo:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Love reading about new people starting out in the shooting sports. The only regret I have is that I didn't do it sooner. To a shooter, everybody will be welcoming to anyone that is new and even the seasoned shooters were new once so don't forget that. Just show up with your gear and announce to anyone/everyone that appears to be in charge that you are new and they will most likely stick you with a few good mentors to walk you through your first match. Good luck and BRAVO to you for stepping out and trying out something new.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Just watched video on IDPA that looks like something to get into. Is there a age limit, my son might want to do this. He's 17.

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Ah, it's like watching a junkie take the first hit off a pipe.

Next thing you know you will be hooked and craving you next fix.
    ;)

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Get more than 2 extra mags. All it takes is for you or someone else to step on one of your spares and you are screwed until you get a new one or fix the old one.

Get a shooting bag and keep all your IDPA stuff together. Safety glasses, hearing protection, spare mags, holster, mag carrier, ammo, etc. Makes it hard to forget something when it's all together. I've seen guys show up with everything except mags. Kinda hard to shoot when you don't have all your gear.

Have fun. Everyone has a first time and no one makes fun of you if you are safe and courteous.

sna1390

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2011
    What would be a good test to know if I am ready to start IDPA competitions, as far as skill level goes?

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    IF your thinking of it your ready for it. Seriously so many people are intimidated to only find out its a piece of cake to do. To excel at it is another matter. Still working on that part.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    What would be a good test to know if I am ready to start IDPA competitions, as far as skill level goes?

The test is:

Can you keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot?
    Can you operate a firearm safely and respect the 180 degree rule of the range?
    Do you have a firearm that can be operated safely?
    Do you have an open mind and want to compete in a safe and friendly environment?

Asking yourself those questions and being able to say 'Yes' to them is all the test you really need. Get out there and try it. Be sure to let any Range Officer or Safety Officer know that it is your first time and they will take care of you. Just be slow, be safe and have fun. Your first few times on the firing line are going to be spent learning the rules of the game...once you know them then you will be ready to start working to up your performance.

Top Bottom