Boss somewhat encouraging me to break the law.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    I'm not 100% sure if this should be here, or in Carry Issues and Self Defense. If this needs to be moved, please do.

I work in Chicago. We have weekly department meetings and boss-man (who was a marine) brings up that the G8 and NATO summits will be held in Chicago at the same time. He also said that a bunch of anti-type groups have already received permission to assemble and protest while the G8 and Nato summits are going on. I asked when this was, and May 15-22 is the answer I got. I, somewhat jokingly, mentioned I might take that week off.

Boss-man knows I carry, and am licensed to do so. We talk guns often. The next day, he asks if I'm serious about taking that week off. I state that I am half serious about it and he says "well why don't you just bring your gun?" This prompts a discussion of the difference in IL and IN gun laws. I explain to him how bad things would be for me if I got caught, let alone had to use it in self defense. He continued on about how I should just bring my gun because it's better to be alive than any other option. While this is true, I could not believe that he would encourage (to a certain extent) me to break the law, and especially a law that could get me into some really hot water if I did. I will not be bringing my gun to work, not as long as I work in IL for the record.

Thoughts? (Other than get a job in IN, believe me, I want one.)

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Not all people, are good people.

Not all laws, are good laws.

Dura lex, sed lex.

It is better to be alive than not.

Only you are responsible for yourself.

IL holds you in contempt and denies your right to self defense. They found murder/rape/robbery of a person morally superior than their right to defend yourself with lethal force.

What do YOU think?

Last edited:

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    I work in IL too. And it's just not worth it. I don't even like to bring my guns with me in the trunk if I'm going to the range after work. I'd rather not deal with IL+guns if I can help it. I'd rather take a few extra minutes to stop home and grab my stuff after work. It's well worth the wasted time to me.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Telecommute to the windy city. The traffic alone is enough for me to stay out of the main city. Setting up a nice telecommute/video conference system will cost less than the gas expences over a very short period of time.

If you need a hand setting it up et me know. I don't want to go to chicago but we have a chicago office that can help out.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Tough call. Not whether you should break the law on your boss's suggestion, but whether you should break the law if you feel there is substantial risk that something might occur during that week that jeopardizes your safety. I don't know where you work, or if it is likely to be the focus of an attack by an unruly (and potentially dangerous) mob during the summits; but if you think this is possible, but cannot take the week off as you initially suggested, I would seriously consider having my weapon close enough, but well hidden (not just concealed) just in case. A locked box would require a warrant to search, even if someone overheard your boss and suspected you may be in violation of the law. If you had any cause to have to open that box and employ your weapon, I'd hope you have a damn good reason for doing so - one that would outweigh the risk of incarceration.

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    Not all people, are good people.

Not all laws, are good laws.

It is better to be alive than not.

Only you are responsible for yourself.

IL holds you in contempt and denies your right to self defense. They found murder/rape/robbery of a person morally superior than their right to defend yourself with lethal force.

What do YOU think?

I absolutely believe that MY life is far more valuable and important to me than some thug that is looking to harm me. I also do not have the funds to defend myself legally after the fact. I would rather not be in a jail cell or have my LTCH revoked because I got caught with my gun, even if I didn't have to use it. If it were to happen I had to use it, I'd much rather the BG be bleeding out than I. This is the main reason I want and need to get a job in IN.

I work in IL too. And it's just not worth it. I don't even like to bring my guns with me in the trunk if I'm going to the range after work. I'd rather not deal with IL+guns if I can help it. I'd rather take a few extra minutes to stop home and grab my stuff after work. It's well worth the wasted time to me.

I take the train into the city and have been for 10 years. I don't even like leaving my car at the train station, let alone the thought of leaving my gun in it. I've thought about casing it, keeping it in my purse, ammo elsewhere and re-arming once back in IN, but I have not done so.

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    This a no brainer-don't break the law. We don't have to like it, but it's still the law.

I know this. I have zero intention of breaking the law. I really could not believe that my boss would encourage me to break the law.

Tough call. Not whether you should break the law on your boss's suggestion, but whether you should break the law if you feel there is substantial risk that something might occur during that week that jeopardizes your safety. I don't know where you work, or if it is likely to be the focus of an attack by an unruly (and potentially dangerous) mob during the summits; but if you think this is possible, but cannot take the week off as you initially suggested, I would seriously consider having my weapon close enough, but well hidden (not just concealed) just in case. A locked box would require a warrant to search, even if someone overheard your boss and suspected you may be in violation of the law. If you had any cause to have to open that box and employ your weapon, I'd hope you have a damn good reason for doing so - one that would outweigh the risk of incarceration.

My building itself has little chance of being the focus of an attack, but it is one block away from the Daley Center, and City Hall. Also, since I take the Southshore that is a concern. I would never break the law, at anyone's suggestion. My time off would be approved, I don't think that I want to take it just because there's a chance my safety could be threatened. My safety could be threatened at anytime, anywhere.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Those protesters are highly unlikely to do you any harm. You are much more likely to get jacked up by the local cops and their imported brethren, who have shown a penchant for overreaction at previous summits. If you're carrying a gun when it happens you will go to jail and you will likely be charged with a felony and lose your right to keep and bear arms. Take a vacation that week if you're nervous.

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Would your boss be willing to provide you with legal representation if you got caught exercising not only your second amendment rights, but your right to self-preservation?

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    You should carry on with your life as normal. I wouldn't burn up vacation time on the grounds of protestors. If your boss carrys a gun, just hang out with him for that week if your uncomfortable about it. Personally, I wouldn't risk carrying where it is illegal to.:twocents:

gvbcraig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Southwest Fort Wayne
    I have CC in Chicago. I know it is risky, but one time it saved me.

I was walking to my hotel from a restaurant, where I had a dinner meeting, roughly midnight. Walking down Michigan Avenue, north of the loop. I was approached my 2 young men in their late teens, wanting to take my wallet. I pulled back my jacket and place my hand on my weapon so them could see it, and asked them to back away.

They did and so did I. They were not expecting to see someone with a handgun on them in Chicago. :twocents:

moosebag

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Indiana
    This topic really burns my ass. As a US citizen who has had their 2nd amendment rights taken away by a self centered state (Illinois) banning our legal right to bear arms with a legal permit. Something needs to be done about this soon. It just makes me sick to hear the hoops residents of Indiana and Illinois are jumping through to work in Illinois and protect themselves. To me it's one of the most dangerous states to visit, live or work in and I need to be protected no matter what the ramifications may be. I refuse to spend a dime in Illinois as long as they continue to trample on our constitutional rights. :xmad:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Take the week off along with any other security risking times. Explain to your boss you'll meet him halfway, accepting half pay for your time off. Time off that is no fault of your own and will not go against sick or holiday time provided.

Of course you'll use the time to seek Indiana employment. You will likely have to settle for less $ though.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have zero intention of breaking the law. I really could not believe that my boss would encourage me to break the law.

I can't fathom where a person can have such a blind obedience to "law". It's ridiculous. It's absurd.

Not wanting to go to prison? I can understand that. Blind obedience to something that is against nature and conscious? Where does that sort of mindset come from?

Sounds like your boss has his head on strait when it comes to unjust 'laws'.

I could throw out hundreds of quotes supporting this, including USSC decisions back from the founding years of this nation but considering it is black history month, this one seems apropos:

One who breaks an unjust law that conscience tells him is unjust... is in reality expressing the highest respect for law.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Agree with other posters. The G8/NATO protestors are generally "the great unwashed" and students.

They'll be "kettled" and hopefully water cannoned and pepper sprayed :D

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    I can't fathom where a person can have such a blind obedience to "law". It's ridiculous. It's absurd.

Not wanting to go to prison? I can understand that. Blind obedience to something that is against nature and conscious? Where does that sort of mindset come from?

Sounds like your boss has his head on strait when it comes to unjust 'laws'.

I could throw out hundreds of quotes supporting this, including USSC decisions back from the founding years of this nation but considering it is black history month, this one seems apropos:

One who breaks an unjust law that conscience tells him is unjust... is in reality expressing the highest respect for law.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Zero intention is not necessarily the same as absolutely will not, at least not with me. If I truly felt that I would need to bring my gun to Chicago, at any point, I would. Having worked downtown for the past ten years, I've never felt that my safety was threatened to that degree. If it comes to that, it's time to GTFO of Chicago for good.
    Agree with other posters. The G8/NATO protestors are generally "the great unwashed" and students.

I'll be bringing my camcorder for sure, I'd LOVE to see people water cannoned, pepper sprayed and whatever else kind of crowd control they have up close!

I work for 200+ lawyers. They are not the kind of lawyers that could help me get out of the kind of legal trouble that I could possibly get into if I were to bring my gun to the city.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Now y do you wish such violence to those poor people. :D

@T-Star where is the G8 sumit going to be located at exaclty?
    Do you know the bldg, streets, etc.
    Also is YOUR dear leader going to be there?

The last time he was in town some of the streets in downtown were blocked off for both car and people. It took me f-o-r-e-v-e-r to get to the train station and I barely made it.

The time before that when he first came to Chicago after winning the election the masses at Millennium Park were so bad that I did miss the train! :xmad:

If he comes for the summit I think I'll take the day off work and avoid that area. Way too many people for my taste.

-Jedi

Top Bottom