• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    In 78 our driveway was 5/8ths of a mile and Dad and I shoveled every inch of it by hand.
    I'm back at work already waiting to deliver in the morning then off to Rochester, NY where they might really have some snow. That is, if the place I have to load is gonna be at work tomorrow.:dunno:

My driveway these days is 1800 feet and the 4WD Kubota and the blade will probably clear most of what we'll get. If I gotta spray a can of PAM in the bucket on the front end loader and remove it that way I will.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I am just guessing here but I think the term blizzard is being thrown around because of the accompanying winds. 4" of snow and winds can make for some nice frozen roads that keep snow on them all day long

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I grew up up buffalo. Went through the blizzard of 77' there. Snow covered cars and stop signs. They trucked it to train cars, drove em south to melt and came back for more. It was nuts...
    Then we moved here in 78' lol. Although, 78' was pretty mild in comparison.
    And in all fairness, I was about 9 yrs old then. It all was much more fun at that age!

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I grew up up buffalo. Went through the blizzard of 77' there. Snow covered cars and stop signs. They trucked it to train cars, drove em south to melt and came back for more. It was nuts...
    Then we moved here in 78' lol. Although, 78' was pretty mild in comparison.
    And in all fairness, I was about 9 yrs old then. It all was much more fun at that age!
    You don't really believe they shipped snow by rail, do you?

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    You don't really believe they shipped snow by rail, do you?

By all accounts, they did. I'd only heard it from adult family members, but took the time to research it for you.

Wiki mentions it as part of the cleanup:
    "The long cleanup period included the railroads,who used front-end loaders to clear snow from the rail yard into open-bodied rail cars and shipped it east by Conrail."

History channel apparently had a special on it with mention of the same.

Unfortunately (Which I did not know until researching) they had difficulty getting it to melt due to the cold weather everywhere.

Luckily Toronto brought in 2 new 'snow melting machines' which did wonders for the area.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Supposedly much of the snow drifted in from off of Lake Erie during the high winds. My guess is they didn't want it coming back a 2nd time? Dunno.
    yes it usually freezes. Once they removed the ice boom in spring, we used to ride icebergs on the Niagara River's edge. I never was a very bright person :(

Last edited:

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I'll be working out in it second shift... Rear wheel drive work truck with a one wheel wonder rear end. Have lots of weight in it but is still more of a controlled slide when driving. Only have a 1/4 tank it it, hope to make it to the gas station... Need the extra weight... We shall see....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Woke this morning and the little kid in me was expecting to see 6" already on the ground with huge drifts in the usual places. As can be expected....weather man has no real idea what the hell is going to happen. Not one flake of snow on the west side of Indy. Nothing....zipp....nodda.

Poop

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Woke this morning and the little kid in me was expecting to see 6" already on the ground with huge drifts in the usual places. As can be expected....weather man has no real idea what the hell is going to happen. Not one flake of snow on the west side of Indy. Nothing....zipp....nodda.

Poop

It's blowing pretty good around down here between Martinsville and Bloomington. Come on down. :D My daughter and I are hoping to do a little sledding this afternoon or tomorrow.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Blowing an snowin here between Lafayette and Indy. At no snow. Now I can't see the road from the house. Supposed to get a new furnace today. Well see bout that.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Since Im not going in today I don't get paid for the holidays on Monday or Tuesday. Damn blizzard couldn't wait til Thursday could it?

Top Bottom