• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I didn't say anything about bourbon being required to come from Kentucky. I said I prefer to purchase bourbons which say Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey on the label. The word "Straight" being of particular interest as it indicates that no grain neutral spirits were used as filler. Straight on the label means there was nothing added to the distilled mash other than water.

Never said bourbon must come from Kentucky. I said I prefer to purchase bourbon with those four words on the label, simple as that.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    ... The word "Straight" being of particular interest as it indicates that no grain neutral spirits were used as filler. Straight on the label means there was nothing added to the distilled mash other than water...
    Sorry but you are mistaken.

STRAIGHT on the label indicates that the bourbon is at least 2 years old. It can be blended whiskey from different batches, of different ages, different mash bills and even from different distillers as long as it is all within the same state.

BOURBON on the label indicates that the bourbon is pure bourbon with nothing added other than the water required to bring it to bottling proof.

It must also meet the other criteria that I laid out previously, no less than 80% in the bottle, blah blah blah

Please refer to the definition that I previously posted. Or feel free to look it up yourself if you question what I posted.

The core aging requirement that defines a whiskey as straight is if the distillate has spent at least two years stored in charred new oak barrels,[1] except corn whiskey which must use uncharred or used oak barrels.

Other than an age statement, which is a direct reference to the age of the youngest spirit in a bottle, the only other special labeling dealing with the age of a straight whiskey in the U.S. is bottled in bond. All bonded whiskeys are required to be straight whiskeys, and are additionally required to be aged for at least four years. Bonded whiskeys must also fulfill several other requirements.:[2]

A straight whiskey that has been aged less than four years is required to be labeled with an age statement describing the actual age of the product.[3]

[1] https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2008-title27-vol1/pdf/CFR-2008-title27-vol1-sec5-22.pdf
    [2] https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrie...y1.0.1.1.3&r=PART&ty=HTML#27:1.0.1.1.3.3.25.1
    [3] https://www.ttb.gov/spirits/bam/chapter8.pdf

I believe what you might have previously been referring to as problematic are beverages like FIREBALL, or the various products from Evan Williams, Jack Daniels, etc that are released in the winter months and are mixed with cider. Those do have neutral grain spirits added to them. They are not bourbons.

But you can get excellent bourbons, and award winning bourbons, that are not straight bourbons, that are a mixture of bourbons from distillers in multiple states. Those do not qualify as "straight" bourbons because the distillers blend products that were produced in different states. They still are pure bourbon whiskey. So straight does limit the production to only 1 state and requires the bourbon be at least 2 years old. But the definition of bourbon requires that the product not have anything other than water added to it.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Since I'm not a distiller and have never worked in the bourbon industry I look for those who are or have been for information. This is from Bernie Lubbers book titled Bourbon Whiskey. I've little interest in arguing over something I have limited practical knowledge of and I suppose its entirely possible you're better educated than he is. You are correct that it must be stored for a minimum of two years but it certainly appears it also indicates no neutral grain spirits were added in the process.

EFB948FA-E56A-4DF4-9C32-5F4064D3561E_zpsdwbdljs3.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It is part of the definition.

How about this...Can a bottle of bourbon that says Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey on the label consist of spirits manufactured in a factory in Lawrenceburg, Indiana?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    It is part of the definition.

How about this...Can a bottle of bourbon that says Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey on the label consist of spirits manufactured in a factory in Lawrenceburg, Indiana?
    No.

It can only contain bourbon, that is aged at least 2 years, and distilled in Kentucky.

What you describe would be Indiana Straight Bourbon Whiskey, provided it was at least 2 years old.

As I pointed out, the contents of the bottle must be sourced from within 1 state. If it has product from Lawerenceburg and says Kentucky on the label that would not be a "Kentucky" product.

So a Kentucky Bourbon, would be a product that comes from the state of Kentucky, meets the requirements of being a Bourbon, its a Straight bourbon if its aged at least 2 years and meets the other criteria. Being a Bourbon, it is also a Whiskey. But the contents can come from 5 different distilleries, 10 different mash bills, 20 different barrels, etc. as long as all of the distilleries are inside the same state.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Not in my cabinet...

Well at least one of those is a mixed/blended bourbon that contains a blend of many different barrels.

And while BOOKERS is one of my very favorites of all time, in any price range, I'm not sure that is not a blend. I'll have to do some digging on that one. Obviously it comes from Beam, and is all their product, but I'm not sure if it is a single barrel. Could be. Might not be.

Obviously your "Single Barrel" bourbons are from a single barrel and are not blends.

But I'd like to suggest that you may want to look into other blended bourbons (which may or may not still legally qualify as "Straight Bourbon") because there are many award winners out there that you are missing.

Starting off with the Breckenridge Bourbon ... one of the most award winning bourbons in the US, made from a blend of bourbons, mostly distilled in Colorado but probably containing some MGP (Indiana) or other bourbons, so clearly not a 'straight' bourbon. Voted among the best bourbons in American in 2013, 2014, 2015... and achieved the Best blended bourbon in 2016.

Jefferson's OCEAN, or Jefferson's RESERVE, or Jeffersons PRESIDENT, etc all are 'straight' bourbons that are sourced from MULTIPLE batches, MULTIPLE distillers and MULTIPLE barrels and nobody seriously questions their quality as they are consistently gold medal winners, rated in the Top 10 or Top 50 or Top Whatever rankings. Again, all blended. Still qualify as 'straight' because they buy all their stuff in Kentucky from various distillers.

I'd even point out that ultra-premium products like PARKERS HERITAGE ($250/bottle for the most recent offering) is a blended 'straight' bourbon. As is the whole of the PAPPY VAN WINKLE product line, the FORESTER'S BIRTHDAY collection, the PACT collection, etc.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm not opposed to blended bourbons but I prefer the blends to come from the same distillery. Blending barrels to maintain the signature of a particular bourbon is where the talents of a distiller come to light. I've had Breckinridge and it was fine, I drank a lot of Backbone Uncut before they priced themselves out of the running. I simply prefer to stick with knowns when it comes time to stock my cabinet.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I doubt there are many (if any) bourbons that are not straight.

With all the requirements (virgin oak, barrel proof, etc) being necessary for the manufacture of bourbon I think most distillers make it age at least two (2) years for quality.

Also, as near as I can tell basically whisky = whiskey, they are the same. It is just a spelling thing, although the law does use "whisky" it appears to be nothing more than a spelling preference of the day.

It seems that a generic whisky can be distilled and sent to the market on the cheap, distilled up to 190 proof and bottled at not less than 80 proof. Basically, almost anything that is made from corn and can F you up can be called a whisky.

The additional details regarding bourbon force tighter quality controls and I am guessing that distillers do want that additional aging to better flavor the product, thus why almost no bourbon will not be straight. (Note: my philosophy professor would love my use of double negatives:))

Melensdad - you were correct about "bourbon" being only an American product. That is at the very end of the law (l) (2). That didn't stick out with me before.

Trying to read some of this law can give a guy a headache!

Regards,

Doug

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I listed 1 in my earlier reply. But I would guess I could go through the 50 or so varieties that I have in my cabinet and probably find a half dozen that are not 'straight' bourbons.

I see I was in error. So, are many of those not straight blended, or are many of them single barrel?

Doug

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Still enjoying that Woodford (told you all only one shot per night and not every night, lol)...

Thinking of trying it chilled with whiskey stones. Recommendations? Soapstone, stainless, or others? I've heard don't cheap out here as well. What makes some better than others?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Still enjoying that Woodford (told you all only one shot per night and not every night, lol)...

Thinking of trying it chilled with whiskey stones. Recommendations? Soapstone, stainless, or others? I've heard don't cheap out here as well. What makes some better than others?

I have some that were gifted to me. I have soapstone and I have plastic that is filled with some sort of fluid. I've seen stainless but never used them.

Honestly I typically use ice cubes instead of the whiskey stones on the RARE occasion that I chill my whiskey. A small amount of whiskey, a cube or 2 of ice, swirl it around in the glass to chill the whiskey, drink it in no more than a short time span so the ice is still mostly UNMELTED and the whiskey is not too terribly watered down.

Top Bottom