• jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Just tried this & it'll Play.
    Compelling Story behind the Bottle Molds: https://horsesoldierbourbon.com/
    In the interest of Full Disclosure, it was $52.99 @ Total Wine.
    Let the Chastising begin!
    View attachment 146647
    I feel like this thread has evolved from it's original title many, many posts back. It's become a "show me what ya got at the L store that ain't beer, price be damned" thread.
    I for one, am glad it did (and partially responsible), look at all the different members and bottles that have participated here now.
    No disrespect to the OP, but I think it has turned out for the better and my favorite thread on the site. Folks can still post their under $40 bottles of bourbon, they should be able post their $53 bottle of Horse Soldier or $100 bottle of rye without another member getting all baboon, red-assed over it.....................and if they do, they probably just need a drink.
    Cheers!

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    My wonderful daughter bought me a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch Select for my birthday!!!

Looking forward to a sip or two later this evening.
    Let us know how it is!! Ive had a bottle of that tucked away and curious what you think about it. I dont think Four Roses has put a bad product out yet at least what I have tried. There single barrel is a very good one too!! Cheers and:happybday:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I feel like this thread has evolved from it's original title many, many posts back. It's become a "show me what ya got at the L store that ain't beer, price be damned" thread.
    I for one, am glad it did (and partially responsible), look at all the different members and bottles that have participated here now.
    No disrespect to the OP, but I think it has turned out for the better and my favorite thread on the site. Folks can still post their under $40 bottles of bourbon, they should be able post their $53 bottle of Horse Soldier or $100 bottle of rye without another member getting all baboon, red-assed over it.....................and if they do, they probably just need a drink.
    Cheers!
    I dont feel that is a problem either.

Of course there is nothing stopping you from starting "best bourbon over $50" too. ;)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Indiana Rye Whiskey is now a legal marketing definition/term.

Sort of like Tennessee Whiskey is just a term for Bourbon made in Tennessee, Indiana Rye Whiskey is just a term for rye whiskey made in the state of Indiana. But we make a lot of rye whiskey. So now it can be marketed with the distinction of being called "Indiana Rye Whiskey"

blah, blah, blah . . .
    in order for a whiskey to be called an “Indiana Rye,” it must be either a sour or sweet mash with at least 51% rye as the base ingredient. The juice has to come off the stills at 80% ABV or less, go into the barrel at no more than 62.5% ABV, and be bottled at 40% ABV and above. The whiskey must be aged for a minimum of two years in new white American oak barrels.
    Crucially, the bill allows local distillers to label their product with the term “Indiana Rye” whiskey and have it be a legally binding regional designation.
    The move is also a play to transform Indiana into a whiskey tourist destination, with state rep Chris May, who spearheaded the legislation
    . . . blah blah blah

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Blah, blah, blah indeed.
    Makes one wonder if this is just another marketing gimmick that will have zero teeth.
    Where has all this wonderful Indiana rye been up til now? MGP may put out some decent stuff that others bottle as "theirs", but how dependable and consistant will that supply last with the new criteria?
    I see these new distilleries popping up, like the one near me in Fortville, and wonder if that's part of the master plan for instant heritage.
    Think of your top 5 ryes and how much R&D went into that bottle, that's what it'll be up against...................once a few barrels are aged and bottled (ie bought, labeled and bottled from MGP).
    I really wish them luck force feeding us a long, rich history that has never existed, maybe a few decent bottles of Rye will fall through the cracks.
    Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    On another note, I'm drinking some KNOB CREEK 12 YEAR. 100 proof. No clue what I paid. Might be cheap or might be expensive. I just know it is good.
    I have a 15 year old bottle of KC 120 proof that was a store pick from Payless. Wish I would have bought 4 or 5 of them. It’s amazing stuff.

Attachments

• 7055606A-C613-44F1-BE12-AFAB9DF6FA30.jpeg
      7055606A-C613-44F1-BE12-AFAB9DF6FA30.jpeg
      1.9 MB · Views: 10

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    16256742171023629944567039697474.jpg Today was a good swig day.
    First up, a store pick and high rye bourbon, The Mattie Gladden at 107.9 proof. It came in just under $40.

Next, crossing another off my hit list, is a Knob Creek cask strength rye. 9 years old and tipping the scales at 119.6 proof. This one should be a real powerhouse, may have to go back for another one if it's as good as I'm hoping.
    Came in at $60.

Cheers. 16256741456324281781635675952189.jpg

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Cheers!
    I agree....it's grown into something beautiful! :D

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Everytime I find myself on the NWish side of Indy, I try to stop in at Total Wine & More for these. Best price I've found anywhere at $36/750ml.

FYI, they also had a good supply of Sazarac Rye for $33 limit 1 and a Knob Creek 9 year, store pick, 120 proof for $65.

As for this set of twins, they'll sit quietly in long term reserve until called into service.

Cheers! 20210709_201410.jpg

Top Bottom