• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    Attended the Payless bourbon event today and scored these 4. I was in line 45 minutes before open and got in the drawing for the raffle for right to purchase bottles for the end of the day.

Really excited about the AE Cask Strength as these are impossible to find at MSRP. 20210612_132432.jpg

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    View attachment 141831
    Found myself bored in Cookville Tennesee during monsoon season...........so I went to the happy store and bought a bottle of the state's holy water. This variety is at 128 proof and making my mouth water as I type.
    Prices are a bit less here and there's a much wider variety than back home.
    Not trying to be a Spirits Snob, but this Isn't Bourbon. Quite Tasty, just not Bourbon.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Not trying to be a Spirits Snob, but this Isn't Bourbon. Quite Tasty, just not Bourbon.
    Incorrect.

All brands of Tennessee Whiskey are, legally and by definition, bourbon.
    Only bourbon, made in Tennessee, and run through an extra step at the end, may be considered Tennessee Whiskey.

Tennessee Whiskey is a legal marketing term, restricted by law, under Tennessee statutes, to being manufactured in the state of Tennessee, using the same regulations as making bourbon (which is also legally defined by ingredients, but NOT by location), but additionally requires 1 additional step.

Therefore Jack Daniels is legally both a bourbon and a Tennessee Whiskey

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Incorrect.

All brands of Tennessee Whiskey are, legally and by definition, bourbon.
    Only bourbon, made in Tennessee, and run through an extra step at the end, may be considered Tennessee Whiskey.

Tennessee Whiskey is a legal marketing term, restricted by law, under Tennessee statutes, to being manufactured in the state of Tennessee, using the same regulations as making bourbon (which is also legally defined by ingredients, but NOT by location), but additionally requires 1 additional step.

Therefore Jack Daniels is legally both a bourbon and a Tennessee Whiskey
    From the Jack Daniels Website:

IS JACK DANIEL'S A BOURBON?​

Jack Daniel's is not a bourbon - it's a Tennessee Whiskey.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    From the Jack Daniels Website:

IS JACK DANIEL'S A BOURBON?​

Jack Daniel's is not a bourbon - it's a Tennessee Whiskey.
    Riiiiight :lol2: Again, it is legally a bourbon. They know it. They actually lobbied to get the Tennessee legislature to define Tennessee Whiskey as bourbon made in Tennessee with 1 extra filtration. The term Tennessee Whiskey is a MARKETING TERM that Daniels, Dickle and maybe a couple other distilleries use to differentiate their bourbon from "Kentucky bourbon." That is fact. Tennessee's legislature gave their home grown distilleries a marketing term.

But ALL Tennessee Whiskey is legally BOURBON

Only Bourbon made inside the state of Tennessee can qualify as Tennessee Whiskey

You can call it whatever the heck you want. They are the same damn thing, as defined by law

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    While we're talking about Tennessee bourbons, anybody tried any of the offerings from Uncle Nearest? Nearest Green was a slave from Massachusetts that moved to Tennessee. He began working in his "owner's" distillery and introduced the charcoal filtering orignally used to purify drinking water in West Africa while there. He later became the first Black master distiller in the US. Jack Daniels learned whiskey making from him as a young boy and later started his own distillery a few miles away in Lynchburg using the "Lincoln County Process" that Uncle Nearest Green had taught him as a boy. Oh, and their bourbon is pretty good, too.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Well above $50, but has anyone tried Old 55’s 100% sweet corn whiskey? Very interesting and different. I happened into about a quarter of a bottle for free. Retail is $175.

Also, this thread reminds me of my one major dislike about the current bourbon scene: snobbery. Just drink America’s drink and enjoy life. I swear if I hear one more person say “ackkkkk-shually that’s not correct,” or describe bourbon notes as “hints of Madagascar vanilla drizzled over a Granny Smith apple pie left to cool in the north window of a Swiss chalet in May,” I’m going to lose my mind. Drink what you like, how you like it!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'll be honest, when I can get a top shelf rum/tequila/gin for under $50, I have a hard time paying over $50 for bourbon.

Once you cross that threshold, there's diminishing returns.

Top Bottom