• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fearthewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Goshen, IN
    Hey everyone, im new here, and somewhat new to longer range shooting. and my question to all the experts and shooters here, which do you think as the smoother and more desired action? Savage or Remington? Im trying to compare sayyyy a Savage 10FP-SR LE and a Rem700 SPS VAR, chambred in 308.

Fearthewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Goshen, IN
    Yeah I was wondering if it would be a Chevy v Ford type thing haha, I figure most people have owned one of each other maybe more, i've found the remmy does have more aftermarket stuff, and that was a big push toward the Rem

Fearthewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Goshen, IN
    I'm really just going to be using it for target shooting, and eventually competition hopefully. My family owns 300 acres or so in Michigan so I have the room now, and I really want to learn to shoot out to 400-700+

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Your Smooth action may not be someone elses smooth action. My Savage 10 I belive is smoother than my brothers Remmy. But My dads old Winchester Mod70 has probably the smoothest action out of all the guns Ive owned or seen. One thing ive noticed with my Savage and Im sure its the same with most bolt guns, the more its cycled the slicker it gets.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I think they're both great, but I lean towards savage rifles. Last trip to the range I shot a 5 round group at 200 yards with my 10FP-SR 223 that fit inside my thumbnail. After I was satisfided with the best group I'd ever shot in my life I crumpled it up and threw it away because I knew nobody would ever believe me. I believe a savage rifle will outshoot a remington out of the box. However, once you get it out of the box and want to put a different stock on it then you'll be glad you have the remington. For my 10fp-sr there's really only two options for a better stock under $250 and that's either a B&C duramaxx hunting stock, or a B&C medalist bench stock. With a remington you'll have your choice of anything made by man.

My buddy has a 700 sps tactical in 308 and it's a great gun also. I haven't worked up a load for it yet, but I think it's got the potential to really be a shooter. So far though he's happy with hitting steel at 600 yards, so I'm happy for him.

Personally I have a 110FP in 30-06 with about 2000 rounds through it and I think my bolt action is about the smoothest action I've ever felt. It's not perfect, but it starts pretty good and only gets better. Either way, you'll walk away with a rifle to be proud of.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    this time last year i would have said remington hands down. this year after getting tired of reading "savage this, savage that" i went out and bought a savage 10fp-sr. it shoots better than any factory rifle ive ever owned.

here is my take on it. if your going to drop some coin and use aftermarket parts remington is still the best. if you plan to leave it stock and just go shoot i think id have to give the nod to savage.

if you do go with the savage 10fp-sr in 308 loading the mag sucks so bad i use mine as a single shot. if i were you i would plan on a extra few hundred bucks and cdi bottom metal or upgrade to the savage with the detachable mag (i can remember the number)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It will cost a few hundred dollars just to get a remington close to a savage in accuracy.

BS

I personally like Remington rifles. A Savage looks and feels cheap to me but I wouldn't race for pink slips against one and I don't talk trash about them or their owners. Both companies put out good rifles, both companies put out a turd on occasion. Savage has been coming on very strong in the last few years. I bought a SPS last year that is a consistent sub 3/4MOA rifle.

I spent last week at Camp Atterbury instructing a basic observer/sniper school. There were approximately 35 Remington rifles and a couple of Savage. One of the Savages needed repair, none of the Remingtons. The top gun award and both competition shoots were won by Remington rifles. I guess from that I could conclude the Savage makes an inferior rifle.

What matters is how the operator can make the rifle perform.

Last edited:

Thumper

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    South Indy
    BS

I personally like Remington rifles. A Savage looks and feels cheap to me but I wouldn't race for pink slips against one and I don't talk trash about them or their owners. Both companies put out good rifles, both companies put out a turd on occasion. Savage has been coming on very strong in the last few years. I bought a SPS last year that is a consistent sub 3/4MOA rifle.

I spent last week at Camp Atterbury instructing a basic observer/sniper school. There were approximately 35 Remington rifles and a couple of Savage. One of the Savages needed repair, none of the Remingtons. I guess from that I could conclude the Savage makes an inferior rifle.

What matters is how the operator can make the rifle perform.
    Are you smearing me?I am going by what i bought new from a shop and compared.Ask Jeff and Anita about their savage.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm not smearing anybody but your statement was BS. I know lots of people with accurate Savage rifles. I know more with accurate Remington rifles.

rustygunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Columbus
    I feel Savage makes a better rifle for the money today. Guess it depends which looks and or feels better to you, and price out the door plus any planned upgrades. I don't think you'll be unhappy with either. As has been mentioned previously, Remington does enjoy better aftermarket support. Not that there is a major shortage of aftermarket parts for Savage rifles. From what I've seen, triggers and stocks are commonly upgraded and readily available for Savages.

People seem to either love or hate the AccuTrigger. I don't have a strong opinion either way, but would rather not have the AccuTrigger if I had a choice. Just my .02

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    tumblr_lscuvd4lLS1r3cii9o1_400.jpg

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    I stopped at a gun shop I had never been to before last saturday, the shops gunsmith was showing another gent a douglas barrel he was getting ready to install on a custom rifle.
    The smith was a very talkative fellow so I struck up a conversation as soon as the other guy left.
    I pumped him for as much info as I could ,as is usually the case when I find someone more knowledgeable about guns than I am.
    When we started talking about actions I told him I had a custom gun built on a 700 rem that was super accurate.
    What he said next really surprised me he said he viewed a howa 1500 action as basically an upgraded 700 action and then pulled one off the rack and showed me why.
    The howa has a better extractor, the same type extractor that most people upgrade their 700s with, the bolt comes aprt in 30 seconds for cleaning and the trigger group is modular an easier to work on an adjust.
    The rest of the action is virtualy identical to a 700.
    It was a real eye opener for me

Top Bottom