• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Go to an online car sales place or kelly blue book and put in the sticker price + interest rate and print it out.
    It always pays to have something in your hand.
    Take a Calculator, Paper, and pen.
    make them explain every charge and if you don't like it say NO.

I had a dealer thet installed alarm systems in every car.
    Wanted $1000 for it until I told him to take it out.
    Price went down to $250 real quick.
    Challenge every charge and if they balk get up and walk out.

You should pay no more than 1% over invoice (dealer pays 3-5% under invoice) make them show you the invoive price or go online there are plenty of sites with invoice price.
    Print it out and take it with you.

Get your own financing through a credit union, dealers make a premium for every point (1%) over a certain rate they can get you to go for.

Educate yourself before you go in and don't sign anything until you are HAPPY.

I've done this once or twice. lol

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    As long as we are venting about dealerships.

I was not at all impressed with Honda West. They were not at all willing to deal with me and their prices were WAY too high.

I was VERY impressed with Butler Toyota. They sold me my '05 Corolla XRS (only 5,000 of them made) for 5 grand less than it was appraised for after the no-fault wreck I was in that totaled it. I MADE money on it being totalled and I only had it for about a year. I didn't even have to haggle. The salesman came back into the office saying he could knock even more money off the price (which I thought was more than fair already).

Tom Wood Nissan (not the Subaru dealership, but accross the street by Butler Toyota, though I did buy a Subaru there). I feel I was kind of taken, but not completely raped on the deal. The salesman did the whole "how much a month" game. I tried not giving him a number, but he was persistant. His empty promises of things that were going to be done after the sale and then not answering his phone or returning messages severely pissed me off though. Enought that I hope he still works there the next time I buy a car that I can walk up to him and ask if there are any other salesman I can talk to because I will never buy another thing from him.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Something else to consider, .40cal, is buying from a private seller to save even more money.

Thing is, though, that sometimes warranties aren't transferrable.

If going that route to buy two vehicles, might end up, of course, buying from two different individuals...which would mean two different auto loans.

However, it MAY be possible through your bank, with enough of an explanation and a willing-to-deal loan arranger (Hi Ho Silver, Away!) to combine two loans into one single loan.

Hope your car shopping goes better than MY last two rounds of it.

If only I knew then what I know now... *sigh*

-J-

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Had nothing but good experience at Pedigo Chevy. Bought 3 cars in our family (all foreign models on their Chevy lot) asnd they treated us right. Gotta look for this one guy that looks like Tom Sizemore, I think his name is Rick. Guy is phenominal.

Keep in mind, when the car dealership is saying they are doing the best rate, THEY USUALLY ARE. Its your credit rating and the bank screwing you over, especially at large dealerships. The dealership doesnt come up with the interest, its the banks that perform the financing (unfortuantely, the dealer and the bank usually have an "understanding"). Pedigo usually uses Teacher Credit Union or smaller credit agencies and you can get some good deals.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    IMHO if you are financing a car for 72 months you are getting nailed anyway. When gas prices started getting crazy I sold my 07 Honda SI and it wasn't all that bad on gas but it took premium. I'm now rolling in a $3000.00 Corolla that I paid cash for and I love it. I really enjoy not paying a bill on something for years that is always depreciating.

I know for many this simply isn't possible... You don't want to roll in a 99 Corolla :): You have a family and need a nice car. You need a big truck for work, you just like nice cars etc.

These days I'm seeing cars as a point a-b thing. I love getting 35-40 mpg and no bill. Try paying cash on an older Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Subaru and you might love it! :twocents:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Yep. I'm all about paying cash for cars. I bough my '96 Maxima for $5,000, 5 years ago. It had 185,000 miles. Leather power heated seats, Bose sound, sun/moon roof, top of the line everything. Still driving great at 270,000 miles. Wish it got a little better than the mid 20's in town, but great on the road.

Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Just walk away from them.

The deal doesn't add up and that's not an above-board way to do business.

There are plenty of dealerships that will work for your dollars honestly.

Going back to negotiate only fuels the fire for more financial prodding that you don't need.

Top Bottom