printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Boy, this thread's took a slow turn... :dunno:
    Looks like some cleansing, or my mind is playing tricks on me... could be both.

Some people who are "strongly" advocating everyone else must take a dubious vaccine really need to heed their own advice and take a :chillpill:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Looks like 4 people died in the Capitol building takeover yesterday.

But about 4,000 died from COVID yesterday.

More than 15,000 people died in the first week of 2021. I believe the first recorded COVID death was on Feb. 29, 2020, in the US. From that date, it took about 40 days to hit 15k deaths.
    Correct, but the news is not reporting that 3 of them was health related deaths.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Well, I appear to have been wrong. We seem to be having a post-holiday spike. About 7,200 new cases today, 6,800 yesterday. We'll see how long this lasts. Still relatively good hospital and ICU numbers. It will be interesting to see what happens to the death rate and hospitalization once the 80 and over vaccines are rolling. Tomorrow they are starting to take appointments for those over 80 to be vaccinated. Until now, it has been healthcare providers and those living in nursing homes.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well, I appear to have been wrong. We seem to be having a post-holiday spike. About 7,200 new cases today, 6,800 yesterday. We'll see how long this lasts. Still relatively good hospital and ICU numbers. It will be interesting to see what happens to the death rate and hospitalization once the 80 and over vaccines are rolling. Tomorrow they are starting to take appointments for those over 80 to be vaccinated. Until now, it has been healthcare providers and those living in nursing homes.
    Welcome to my world of watching the numbers. :)

I think it is still too early to call it a "spike." But, the trend is disturbing.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Welcome to my world of watching the numbers. :)

I think it is still too early to call it a "spike." But, the trend is disturbing.
    I agree. It is too early. There are issues of people putting off being tested and now that the holidays are over getting tested and issues where those reporting may not have been working consistently over the 2 weeks before this. 2 or 3 more days will tell the tale.

I am doing what I can to lower the positivity rate by getting tested for no good reason...other than my daughter's college's mandate.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    CDC came out with a "model" that says COVID-19 infected but asymptomatic people account for 59% of the transmission of new cases. They say this makes it really, really important to do what they tell you to do. Not everybody believes them - go figure.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2021/01/07/covid-asymptomatic-spread/
    Considering all of the contract tracing being done, wouldn't a study of actual cases be more beneficial to gauge asymptomatic spread rather then using a model?

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Considering all of the contract tracing being done, wouldn't a study of actual cases be more beneficial to gauge asymptomatic spread rather then using a model?

I tend to agree but there may be a built in bias.
    The study would need to look at only cases where it was determined with some confidence who the new case caught it from. This subset of the population may not be representative of the whole population of new cases.
    I'm thinking it might be easier to determine if a new case caught it from somebody with symptoms compared to determining if a new case caought it from somebody without symptoms. This would tend to bias the study toward more symptomatic spreading over asymptomatic spreading.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    US wordometers derived CFR drops under 1.7% to 1.69%. At the current rate of decline we will drop under Japan's rate by about February 10th :coffee:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Does wordometers have margins of error?
    Not really. It allows for a straight up deaths/cases equation.

Perhaps more importantly, the CFR is leveling and by my estimation that sort of metric will bottom out at about 1.5%. It took 55 days for it to go from 4% to 3%; 84 days to go from 3% to 2%; and has been under 2% for 40 days and is only down to 1.69%.

I think I mentioned this before, but that kind of "absolute" (my label) CFR is only one metric. If you take the average daily CFR (that is, track each day's CFR, then average them), then it is at 3.43%. But, the bias there is that it includes a timeframe in which our testing wasn't very thorough.

It is also important to keep in mind that any sort of "actual" (my label) CFR won't be established until the statisticians can dig in with some more reliable numbers about the a-/non-symptomatic cases. I wouldn't be surprised if it is under 1%, just because they really don't know how this is transmitted. Well, we know some of the vectors that can be summarized by "proximity." But I have little confidence about any sort of deeper understanding of how to stop it from being transmitted.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Manhattan Beach, California seems to have this figured out. As their wuhu cases surge they banned public sitting, yes - sitting. No more sitting on public property, in fact they have removed all park benches and public sitting facilities.

They already had some of the tightest restrictions around that were not working well, so apparently this extra restriction was what they needed.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Not really. It allows for a straight up deaths/cases equation.

Perhaps more importantly, the CFR is leveling and by my estimation that sort of metric will bottom out at about 1.5%. It took 55 days for it to go from 4% to 3%; 84 days to go from 3% to 2%; and has been under 2% for 40 days and is only down to 1.69%.

I think I mentioned this before, but that kind of "absolute" (my label) CFR is only one metric. If you take the average daily CFR (that is, track each day's CFR, then average them), then it is at 3.43%. But, the bias there is that it includes a timeframe in which our testing wasn't very thorough.

It is also important to keep in mind that any sort of "actual" (my label) CFR won't be established until the statisticians can dig in with some more reliable numbers about the a-/non-symptomatic cases. I wouldn't be surprised if it is under 1%, just because they really don't know how this is transmitted. Well, we know some of the vectors that can be summarized by "proximity." But I have little confidence about any sort of deeper understanding of how to stop it from being transmitted.
    I am unable to come up with a rational theory for why our worldometers derived CFR is dropping, Germany's is rising and Japan's is staying the same

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom