Not open for further replies.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    And yet a big wig at my company said in a meeting last week that cases and deaths are still rising.

That of course led me to have an existential discussion in my own head about whether I was going to be the agitator to post a link in the Zoom chat to the CDC site that shows both cases and deaths dropping over the last 30 days and prove this person incorrect in front of our entire department of close to 200 people.

Spoiler alert: I did not. And my conscience have been bugging me about it since.
    Great post, I love it when we have an existential discussion in your own head. But the best part of this is that in your last sentence you make ‘conscience’ sound plural, which fits perfectly.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Are you questioning the definition, or my use of the term? Or, perhaps, not understanding the verb "to feign"? I thought it fit under the circumstances.
    I agree with you on the definition.
    I agree with you on your use of the term.
    I agree with you that it fit under the circumstances.

I was simply questioning whether the ignorance was feigned or real. :)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    150449382_3706701322706329_4233326638057775331_n.jpg

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Indiana has 3 days in a row under 1,000 daily cases.

The color-coded map now shows 11 counties in blue, up from 1 and none in red. Improvement.

Hospitalizations and deaths still dropping.

1613583981878.png

1613584015103.png

1613584049733.png

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    With cases and deaths trending towards what some might call a sharp decline, has Governor Holcomb laid out updated criteria for when he might drop the mask mandate and get things back rolling again? Or are we still using the criteria from back in the summer?

Admittedly, I stopped following the day to day news a long time ago.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    With cases and deaths trending towards what some might call a sharp decline, has Governor Holcomb laid out updated criteria for when he might drop the mask mandate and get things back rolling again? Or are we still using the criteria from back in the summer?

Not until the cases are 0.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN

I would like to know what caused the downturn in cases, and can we keep that measure in place while resorting other areas to normal operation.

If cases are on the decline, there needs to be justification on why restrictive measures remain in place.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    With the new variations of covid popping up is possible to achieve 0 cases?
    No, but with widespread vaccination, this thing can actually be turned into "just another flu" meaning no restrictions. The vaccinations not only prevent the disease, but greatly reduce its effects where it does not stop the disease completely. At least one vaccine has trial results which show effectiveness against the South African variant and other variants. 60% prevention of infection and 100% prevention of hospitalization and death. There is even better results against the UK variant. Most other vaccines have not yet been in trials with the variants, but likely will have somewhat similar results. While annual "booster" shots will probably be an option (as with the flu), what we have now will decimate the death rate.

I have no prediction of how long it will take (weeks or months, but not years), but we should be able to get rid of masks and other restrictions.

While masks and restrictions are an annoyance in Indiana, be glad you're not in California.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Under 800 new cases today. Haven't seen the 700s since early September.

If this trend holds, or even levels off, I think March 1st would be a good time to revisit the few restrictions Indiana still has in place.

But don't get too excited- the mask requirement, while annoying, will be the last to go because it does not harm business.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    We've had 4 people test positive here at work in the last two days.

Prior to that, 4 in the last year.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Under 800 new cases today. Haven't seen the 700s since early September.

If this trend holds, or even levels off, I think March 1st would be a good time to revisit the few restrictions Indiana still has in place.

But don't get too excited- the mask requirement, while annoying, will be the last to go because it does not harm business.
    Just back from worldometers, and the quick and dirty CFRs based on their data show the US increasing a bit while Japan and Germany have increased A LOT

We're at 1.766% up from a low of 1.66% a few weeks ago

Japan is rapidly overtaking us, at 1.71% up from 1.36% a bit over a month ago

Germany, formerly held up as an example of how to get it right, blew by us a month ago and is not slowing down. 2.84% up from around 1.76% about a month ago

There is something wrong with the numbers being reported

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I would like to know what caused the downturn in cases, and can we keep that measure in place while resorting other areas to normal operation.

If cases are on the decline, there needs to be justification on why restrictive measures remain in place.

The downturn in cases doesn't reflect application or efficacy of "measures"; rather, it is reflective of the normal lifecycle of a virus of this nature. The downturn in cases is seen near-universally, on a similar linear progression, everywhere, independent of "measures" in place in each locale.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    The downturn in cases doesn't reflect application or efficacy of "measures"; rather, it is reflective of the normal lifecycle of a virus of this nature. The downturn in cases is seen near-universally, on a similar linear progression, everywhere, independent of "measures" in place in each locale.
    But Karen will take credit because she made 142 masks in her basement from old bed sheets and she yelled at people. The media will back her up.
    There will be parades... maybe a statue... and all you can stomach lutefisk dinners.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom