Not open for further replies.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This is about a reporter (not the one in the video) going after Noem, accusing her of dodging "personal responsibility".
    I don't think the reporter understands what "personal responsibility" is, because she demands big government.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indiana's numbers continue to be really good. (Ever so slight decrease in ICU availability, but I don't think it is COVID related, and availability is still over 30%.)

WTHR had a fascinating article studying the decreases in Indiana across the major metrics and reached the resounding conclusion: they don't know why its decreasing.

Round of applause for modern journalism, everyone!

Which does, however, introduce the awkward question: if they don't know why its going down now, do they really know why it was going up before?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My county just went from orange to yellow (red 2 weeks ago).

New cases under 1,500 today, a level not seen since Early October and not a 1 day glitch because we have been well under 2,000 cases daily for several days.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Indiana's numbers continue to be really good. (Ever so slight decrease in ICU availability, but I don't think it is COVID related, and availability is still over 30%.)

WTHR had a fascinating article studying the decreases in Indiana across the major metrics and reached the resounding conclusion: they don't know why its decreasing.

Round of applause for modern journalism, everyone!

Which does, however, introduce the awkward question: if they don't know why its going down now, do they really know why it was going up before?
    This is pure speculation, but I am wondering if we are experiencing a bit of what I will call "pockets of herd immunity". While the virus can spread everywhere, it likely passes faster and more prolifically in certain environments (certain workplaces or such). It is possible that in those places (pockets) where it has passed most easily, we are approaching herd immunity and the transmission has slowed even though we are not near herd immunity as a whole.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I think there may be different segments of the population - some are more prone to isolate and physical distance pretty well while others are more prone to party hardy and be less careful. The ones that are more social have been getting the virus and developing a sort of sub-herd immunity while the ones that are more distancing are just not getting it. This would make it easier to achieve pseudo herd immunity at a lower percentage of the total population. So the numbers are going down.

Before somebody jumps in with anecdotal evidence to the contrary - there are bound to be exceptions, even many of them, but still in the big picturte it is a statistical thing, maybe, who knows, I don't care.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Is there a place - maybe buried in worldometers - that has a graph of how many tests have been administered nationally over time?

It seems like the Biden administration might be proving a Trump administration point: test less, have fewer cases.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Is there a place - maybe buried in worldometers - that has a graph of how many tests have been administered nationally over time?

It seems like the Biden administration might be proving a Trump administration point: test less, have fewer cases.
    True, but we need any all those cases to get a reasonable CFR. Less testing won't make the deaths go away but will increase the CFR, okay I guess if your goal is to make things look worse than they are. They may follow the obama model for H1N1 and stop testing under the guise that once a disease has taken hold in the population testing becomes unnecessary and you just treat the cases as they arise?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Thanks!

It does look like the testing has been relatively static, with maybe a dropoff in the last week or so. That bears watching.
    True, but we need any all those cases to get a reasonable CFR. Less testing won't make the deaths go away but will increase the CFR, okay I guess if your goal is to make things look worse than they are. They may follow the obama model for H1N1 and stop testing under the guise that once a disease has taken hold in the population testing becomes unnecessary and you just treat the cases as they arise?
    Indeed, but this COVID remains very widespread. And fatal.

I've heard anecdotally (which is a bit redundant) that resources (mostly people) that had been used for testing have been switched to vaccinations. That's a risky strategy; it basically goes all-in on vaccines. "We don't care where the virus is, we're going to try to vaccinate all the people it might get to."

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I think that while those most likely to have grave results are the ones being vaccinated (elderly), it makes sense to get the vaccine in as many arms as possible.

I have not heard of anyone who wanted a test going without even now.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, I have heard of some people who had explicit symptoms (like loss of smell/taste) opting not to get tested but still quarantining.

Of course, it has been true through this whole thing that the actual number of cases is higher than what testing reveals, we just don't know by how much.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah, I have heard of some people who had explicit symptoms (like loss of smell/taste) opting not to get tested but still quarantining.

Of course, it has been true through this whole thing that the actual number of cases is higher than what testing reveals, we just don't know by how much.
    If it's obvious that I have it, why would I go and get a stick shoved up my nose into my brain?

My wife had a test in the ER - no thanks! :nailbite:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Testing frequency may be static, but has there been any impact in positivity rate, based on the new rule requiring two positive test results? (Or was that merely a suggestion, that wasn't implemented?)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Testing frequency may be static, but has there been any impact in positivity rate, based on the new rule requiring two positive test results? (Or was that merely a suggestion, that wasn't implemented?)
    I think the latter. Indiana has not changed. The states have their systems set up and I imagine that it would be a hassle (for them) to change- regardless of whether it was a good idea or not.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom