• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Its pretty surprising what secrets some people hold. I think it also makes a case for looking past peoples faults. Or maybe I am just biased, because a minor transgression in my own past can be found on that site.

I used to know a guy who eventually spent several years in prison for a robbery and burglary that he committed at age 18, and I bumped into his at Southport Meijer a few months back. He was married with a toddler and a new baby, and had a skilled trade job and was rebuilding his life. I think some people can get the con life behind them, and really desire to do so.
    That's the thing...I also feel that way. I have someone really close to me just like that. The only difference, he didn't STAB SOMEONE 54 times. That's the red light for me.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I don't mean to rain on this parade, but let me inject a thought here too.

This guy has been in prison most of his adult life. He isn't going to know what to do when he gets out, but sometimes they commit another crime just to get back inside where they know wtf is going on.

Your in a tough spot. Keep your guard up, but keep on doing what you're doing, and watch out for that little girl!

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    Agreed! And the 54 stabs is WTF for sure. You have to basically be insanely angry to kill with a knife and not just wound, and 54 stabs just kind of indicates the level of rage and hate this guy had when he did the crime. Was it a murder of passion?

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    As far as looking at this guys records...How do I go about doing this?

Start at the county courthouse where the trial took place. Most of his info, including his time in corrections will probably be in that file.

Since his trial was so long ago, it probably only exists as a hard copy.

The court clerk should be able to help you getting that info.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Was it a murder of passion?

Not that I'm aware of. I've heard 2 different stories.

One says that he went to check on a car in the ad section of the paper and stabbed the lady to death and stole the car.

The other I was told was because a lady called him a "freak". This is the story my neighbor gives.

He didn't know the lady in the slightest, both stories say that.

Thumper

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    South Indy
    Same thing happened to me 10 years ago but his son murdered his wife.The old man died 2 years ago and now the son owns the house.He spent enough time in prison that now he is afraid to even argue for fear of going back.I don't like him being here but he keeps to himself and he thinks i'm nuts.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    I doubt that the guy will come to your place for your guns however I would worry about him having guns in the house next door that he has access to. I would think that you may want to talk to the elderly neighbor about that. I mean I know you dont want to hurt his feelings but YOUR familys' safety comes first.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Wow I wish this was not happening to you and your family. You are smart enough so I will not tell you what you already know. :yesway:
    As long as this guy has been locked up I hope he is able to adapt to the outside world. Lots of changes for him to endure. Many or most guys locked up for 37yrs do not make it on the outside. Prison is the only life they know. Sometimes they even commit a crime just to go back to what they feel is security for them. Please keep this in mind at all times.
    I know you love the old man but you should be honest with him and let him know your concerns about his son being around your little girl. He should understand and if not then maybe you should re-examine the friendship.
    I also think moving might be a great idea as well. You may even have to do some small explaining to Callie ( sooner than later) that you may not be going over there anymore after the son comes home. Good luck and of course I will pray for you and the old man.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    I hope the son has changed and will see freedom as a better life. I would like to add that if you OC, I would change that to CC if you must go around them.

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    RM, sorry to hear of your dilemma and I know your family faces some tough decisions on how to handle things.

You would think, right? Problem is, he SOBBED while telling me this. He went into detail about the murders and swears his son has changed.

The fact that he was trying to sell you on his son's change makes me think he is probably VERY well aware that you may react negatively. He may not be surprised at all if you bring up your concerns. Not that you need to, but it sounded as if you didn't just want to stop coming around without explanation, though if you did he would figure it out, I believe.

FWIW if you already had plans to move and it helps this situation, great; however I wouldn't make PLANS to move because of it. If you figure 10% of people are bad for society there is no guarantee you won't be near a different bad person when you move, even though they may be a quarter mile away.

I have great confidence in your ability to do the right thing for your family, no matter who you live next to.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I would say the son will be out on parole...so he better tow the mark or he is going back to the slammer. In time I think you will adjust to the situation.
    Your neighbors son can do the snow...etc.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    Wow-What to say. I feel bad for you and will pray for you in this situation.

I think there is a reason he is telling you this now after all this time. It sounds like he values your frindship as you do his. Maybe he is afraid you will not visit him anymore. I am sure it was hard for him to share this with you as well. I do not know what I would do if it were me.

I would not want to move, but wow-I would worry big time about this.
    I would not want to get to close though. I think I would talk to the old man about your feelings and concerns. He may be put off at first, but he surely could see your point of view, even if he does not like it. Maybe that is why he is telling you this now. He is probably trying to see where you stand with this.

Good luck in your decision. I will pray for you .

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Indiana Offender Database Search

Enter his last and first names if he was incarcerated through Indiana, it should come up.

Best of luck!

BINGO! (If I had rep, you'd get it. I'll get ya later).

What it's saying is he was scentenced to 50 years. He was convicted of Murder in 87. Before that he was in prison for rape in another state (this is what he father said), The murder charge was when he was on parole. It was Deleware County Indiana that he was charged.
    It says his predicted release was FEB 09?? What does that mean?
    And under facility/location it says Discharge!? What does that mean?
    Any wayI can see what prison he was shipped too without having to look at his mail when I take it there? I hate doing that as it really isn't any of my business. If I can't figure it out on my own, I don't needto know.

Wow-What to say. I feel bad for you and will pray for you in this situation.

I think there is a reason he is telling you this now after all this time. It sounds like he values your frindship as you do his. Maybe he is afraid you will not visit him anymore. I am sure it was hard for him to share this with you as well. I do not know what I would do if it were me.

I would not want to move, but wow-I would worry big time about this.
    I would not want to get to close though. I think I would talk to the old man about your feelings and concerns. He may be put off at first, but he surely could see your point of view, even if he does not like it. Maybe that is why he is telling you this now. He is probably trying to see where you stand with this.

Good luck in your decision. I will pray for you .

We have been planning on moving for 6 months or so. Long before I heard the "news"..but this makes me more interested in moving, I must say. My friend isn't going to live much longer, it's a sad but true statement. It would shock me if he makes it to Spring, but I sure hope he does.

I'm going to talk to him. I've thought about it all day and I think what you (and others) are saying is right. I've decided I'm not going to not visit him while he's still here but I'm also not going to be super friendly to his son. I'm not going to be taking my daughter there and will explain this to my friend. We will figure something out for their visits as I know it would break both of their hearts to not see each other. I will train myself to keep my guard up around my friend and I will start this new train of thought now to try and perfect it now, while I have time.

This situation is a crappy one, for sure. But I hav no doubt I can pull it off. Just gotta keep this mindset.
    Thanks for the prayers and thoughts everyone. I'll let ya'll know what it's like when he's out. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    If he was on parole out of another state when he committed this crime, he probably had to go back there and finish up some time before they would cut him loose altogether. He has served his Indiana time, but they had a detainer on him and he was extradited to finish up that stretch.
    Glad I could help.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Just an extreme thought, but what if the son decides to take a lustful eye at you or your daughter? What if he acted on it?

Top Bottom