• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    (I just spent 30 minutes typing up a detailed post and I lost it. :rolleyes: )

My neighbor is and elderly man whom I've known for YEARS. He is a friend, a rold model and someone I'd do anything for. He lost his wife in August and his ealth is poor. I do things for him that he now has a hard time doing for himself. I take him his mail, shovel his walkways, take out his trash, etc. Callie adores him, prays for him every night and brings him up ALL the time. Since his wife has died we visit him once or twice a week for a few hours at a time. We talk about his past, my past and everything in between. I'm hearing stories from him that I really enjoy. When he was younger he was a gun enthusiast and still owns guns today (no longer is able to shoot). He gets out some of his old guns from time to time and lets me check them out and tells me little stories about each one. I enjoy our talks, Callie enjoys seeing him (He gives her candy...lol).
    His children don't come around but he talks about them often. I've known his oldest son has been in prison for murder for 37 years but he has never given me any info and I haven't asked. The other day he randomly brings it up. His story on what happened an the story I was told by another Viable Source are 2 different stories but all in all, the ending is the same. Murder. By the means of a pocket knife and stabbing a lady 54 times.
    He goes on to tell me he is getting out of prison and moving in with him in Dec. So it's looking like I'll get a new neighbor. :n00b: This leads me to a whole buttload of concerns.
    First, I don't want to distance myself from someone I've looked up to all these years. Someon my daughter looks up to. But I also don't want to get too close with a murderer. When his son gets out, 99% chance he'll be my neighbor. I'm sad and a little freaked out. I don't want to fear going over to see him but I tend to think I will stop, all together.
    Second, I don't want to live in fear and I think I will. My neighbor knows Iam into guns, he knows I've trained with my guns. I'm not certain if this is a good thing, or bad. His son will know I have guns...he may want them. I let my guard down around my neighbor and now, starting in Dec I'm going to have to rain myself to NOT do that.
    This whole situation sucks.

Edited because my stupid keys are sticking and I'm annoyed.
    end rant

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Wow RM that would definitely be a hard situation to be in. IDK what exactly to do. All I can say is pray about it and the good Lord will help you through your decision. I will continue to keep you in my prayers as well.

sartwell

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    New Haven
    That's a tough one, I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't. Just be careful and really keep an eye on Callie. ( I know you already do, but you know what I'm saying)

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    :eek:

The neighbor knows your into guns and train with them.....
    chances are the women he stabbed to death was not.

I don't think any attempt on you or your family would go so well for him. :draw:

Keep you guard up and no I would not be afraid to burn that bridge.
    He can associate with his killer son all he wants, you are under no obligation to.
    Keeping informed is great but I would not want any kind of familiarity with them
    especially where my children are concerned.
    Familiarity leads to letting you guard down, not good around someone who
    has already proven to be unable to live in society.

I need to find that woodchipper pict........ I know it's around here somewhere........

:):

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You should talk to your neighbor about your concerns. If you are as close as your post reads, then it should be OK to bring up.

-J-

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Callie is my main concern. Either way she could get hurt. Keeping her from my neighbor would be really hard. She really loves him (as do I). But no way in HELL I am taking her over there with his son there. So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. This situation is CRAP. ugh.

Thanks for the prayers HFB. I'll be on my toes (to say the least) and praying like crazy. Selfish as it sounds, I'm praying he does something stupid to keep him behind bars. OR, that he finds somehwere else to live. Either one is good with me.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    in 30 some years the person has had some time to think about stabbing someone to death. hopefully he did think about it and wont want to go back. maybe he will want to care for his father and enjoy the last years of life with him.

then theres the concerns you have which i 100% understand and would probably have the same fears if i were you.

the best i can do is say give it a try and see if he has changed or not. i obviously wouldnt bring up anything gun/knife related by any means.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    You should talk to your neighbor about your concerns. If you are as close as your post reads, then it should be OK to bring up.

-J-
    You would think, right? Problem is, he SOBBED while telling me this. He went into detail about the murders and swears his son has changed. He's his father...He has this image of his son being a changed man. He misses him more than he could say. His emotion...it killed me. I don't know if me saying anything would do any good. He hasn't seen him in 20 years (Used to be able to visit him before his health went down the gutter). I don't want to break his heart. And if I said I am terrified...it would. Stupid? Maybe. But if he doesn't know we are all a little nervous...he's nuts. No point in bringing it up.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    :eek:

The neighbor knows your into guns and train with them.....
    chances are the women he stabbed to death was not.

I don't think any attempt on you or your family would go so well for him. :draw:

Keep you guard up and no I would not be afraid to burn that bridge.
    He can associate with his killer son all he wants, you are under no obligation to.
    Keeping informed is great but I would not want any kind of familiarity with them
    especially where my children are concerned.
    Familiarity leads to letting you guard down, not good around someone who
    has already proven to be unable to live in society.

I need to find that woodchipper pict........ I know it's around here somewhere........

:):

That's what I fear. Burning a bridge with someone who I hold dear due to his stupid son.

Speaking of pictures...The man in question (Who is around 50 now) looks really creepy. shudder.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    What a predicament. On another downer of a note, your neighbour may have to give up his guns if his son comes to live with him. If they're in the same house he's likely to have access to them and I am pretty sure that's a no-no for a convicted felon, (until the laws are changed). You might want to check on that and let your neighbour know, so he doesn't get in any trouble.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    in 30 some years the person has had some time to think about stabbing someone to death. hopefully he did think about it and wont want to go back. maybe he will want to care for his father and enjoy the last years of life with him.

then theres the concerns you have which i 100% understand and would probably have the same fears if i were you.

the best i can do is say give it a try and see if he has changed or not. i obviously wouldnt bring up anything gun/knife related by any means.
    I have no desire to see if he changed or even get close enough to do so. I just want to keep his father as a friend until he passes. After that...the son is on his own (From my stand point). Changed or not. Hard to forget the fact that he is a murderer. I'm a firm believer in second chances....just not around my kid or the people I love.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    What a predicament. On another downer of a note, your neighbour may have to give up his guns if his son comes to live with him. If they're in the same house he's likely to have access to them and I am pretty sure that's a no-no for a convicted felon, (until the laws are changed). You might want to check on that and let your neighbour know, so he doesn't get in any trouble.
    Good point. I will let him know. That being said, they can in fact be in the same house as long as the person in question does not have access to them. Be that locked in a room he can not access, a safe...etc. But a good point none the less.

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    That's a bad deal for sure. Not much I could say to help, just be very careful and I hope all works out for the best for you and Callie's sake.

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    I have no desire to see if he changed or even get close enough to do so. I just want to keep his father as a friend until he passes. After that...the son is on his own (From my stand point). Changed or not. Hard to forget the fact that he is a murderer. I'm a firm believer in second chances....just not around my kid or the people I love.

I'm thinking after he passes, he will probably leave the house to his son. Which means he'll probably be your neighbor forever...

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    RM, it's a very hard situation, but as already mentioned, pray! Also, don't feel guilty about the safety of your daughter. Also, I wonder what the gentleman is going to do with his guns? I would suspect his son cannot be in a home with guns, right?

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Is it possible for him to come over to your house for visits instead?
    Not without a lot of help. A LOT of help. It would be hard....But maybe possible.

I'm thinking after he passes, he will probably leave the house to his son. Which means he'll probably be your neighbor forever...
    Yeah...I know. :noway: That being said, we're already taling about a move in a year or so. It doesn't hep that my Aunts FIL is the one that turned him in those 37 years ago. This also freaks me out. I'm family to the guy that turned him in. Not blood family...but family.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    RM, it's a very hard situation, but as already mentioned, pray! Also, don't feel guilty about the safety of your daughter. Also, I wonder what the gentleman is going to do with his guns? I would suspect his son cannot be in a home with guns, right?
    If they are out of his reach he can still own guns. As long as his son can not get ahold of them. Not sure if it's the same with him on PAROLE but know that is the case with an ex con.

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    Yeah...I know. :noway: That being said, we're already talking about a move in a year or so. It doesn't hep that my Aunts FIL is the one that turned him in those 37 years ago. This also freaks me out. I'm family to the guy that turned him in. Not blood family...but family.

Glad you're thinking along the same lines as me.

Top Bottom