• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    So this just might be because I am under 30 but to me that is kinda a retro Rhodesian bush war rifle , when I think FAL I tend to think about the modernized options from companies like DSA

Mine is basically a standard FAL STG with a 16 inch barrel. Lower is FN 1958, upper is Gear Logo Imbel, barrel is DSA 16 inch with DSA muzzle brake. Yes, it is loud.
    I'm not much into the " modern " stuff from DSA. It appears that the DSA stuff today is kinda hit or miss. This rifle is as dependable as they come. The adjustable gas system is the bomb. While not as accurate or accessory friendly as the AR10, I can shoot it all day long and my shoulder doesn't notice it, not like the AR10.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Honest question , why does a battle rifle not have optics? I would consider an FAL to be a battle rifle, and while it has to be modernized slightly it can attach optics. Optics in this day and age are such a huge advantage IMHO it is foolish to give up that capability.

I didn't say no optics.

I said no magnification.
    If you can run an automatic 7.62 from the shoulder with magnification, you might just be superman.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I didn't say no optics.

I said no magnification.
    If you can run an automatic 7.62 from the shoulder with magnification, you might just be superman.
    So to continue down that definition, does a battle rifle have to have auto capability?
    I think I know the answer, it just sounded like “auto” was the “why” and I would assume bolt guns can be battle rifles.
    Why not have the option with todays LPVO’s, unless I’m on the wrong page and this conversation is about the definition of historically accurate battle rifles?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    So to continue down that definition, does a battle rifle have to have auto capability?
    I think I know the answer, it just sounded like “auto” was the “why” and I would assume bolt guns can be battle rifles.
    Why not have the option with todays LPVO’s, unless I’m on the wrong page and this conversation is about the definition of historically accurate battle rifles?

Technically speaking, yes it needs to be select fire to be a battle rifle. Just as an assault rifle is defined by selective fire.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Decided to get a battle rifle together (or atleast what I think of as a battle rifle) saw this DD5V4 at the lgs and couldn't leave without it , just now starting to look at what optics and accessories I'd like to use
    Let's see those battle rifle setups
    Now you've gone and done it.
    "Battle rifles" should be treated like Lay's potato chips.

No-one should have just one...

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    What are you competent using? What can you readily get your hands on? What does your ammo supply look like? Don't forget a lot of forward patrols in Vietnam had men assigned with a 12 gauge pump gun and 00 buckshot because a lot of fire fights were really up close. And there were tunnel rats with revolvers.

A battle hardened soldier with an 03-A3 may be more effective than a non experienced man with a SAW. No firearm is magic if you are not up to snuff.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Which battle?
    MO8f5PL.jpg

Top Bottom