• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I still believe censorship is bad, secrets are bad, and information deserves to be free. There is no definitive proof that even a single person was injured as a result of Assange and Wikileaks. He did the world a favor by exposing our corrupt leaders' dirty laundry, and the US gov is going to bury him for embarrassing them. The safer the secrets of the rich and powerful are from people like him, the worse off we all are.

:yesway:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    In some other world, sure, it'd be great to not need things like keeping information private for national security reasons...

...but none of us live in that world as it does not exist.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Personally, I would like to see it where ALL information becomes declassified after a certain number of years, preferably within the peoples lifetimes.

My start would be 25 years. If people want to argue that this will make certain areas of "national security" pause, I say "GREAT!" I would even be willing to say that any alleged crimes committed by the folks doing the secret ops are automatically immune from prosecution, I am also fine with that. However, if the people in the secret ops and the covert missions know that the only punishment they may face in a quarter century is looking their kids in the face and trying to explain what they did I believe that would be a good thing. If a dirty mission is truly important it can be justified, but the very grey areas may cause folks to have second thoughts about what they are doing at the time.

Regards,

Doug

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Dunno, I think that'd ruin people.

Actions, with context, can be justified.

Context doesn't exist after 25 years.

Some **** people just don't need to know, because the lowest common denominator will weaponize the information to destroy people and change policy/law.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Dunno, I think that'd ruin people.

Actions, with context, can be justified.

Context doesn't exist after 25 years.

Some **** people just don't need to know, because the lowest common denominator will weaponize the information to destroy people and change policy/law.

I understand but respectfully disagree.

Some orders should not be followed. Some orders should not be issued. Some policies should not be in place.

The problem is that when they exist in the dark FOREVER there is no hope for improvement.

This is the whole point of Edward Snowden. He TRIED to correct Constitutional violations while he was within the system. He was ignored. He was forced to leave the system because the system feared no repercussions.

I believe that people fearing repercussions even if they not be criminal conviction or civil forfeiture would behave better. I know they don't behave well when they fear nothing.

Regards,

Doug

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    My opinion is that people have released a lot more damaging information that this.

The Obama admin released the personal info of assets and agents that was actionable by the enemy.

The stuff Asange and Snowden released is more embarrassing than any threat to OPSEC.

Arresting Asange and Snowden (if they ever get him) is more circus and vengeance than anything else. IMO

^^^I'm right there with you on this^^^

I don't know...But my Twitter feed has made for strange bedfellows today...Kind of weird.....

That's because there are corrupt swamp dwellers on both sides of the aisle all around the world.

He did the world a favor by exposing our corrupt leaders' dirty laundry, and the US gov is going to bury him for embarrassing them. The safer the secrets of the rich and powerful are from people like him, the worse off we all are.

^^^This right here^^^

He embarrassed powerful corrupt people on both sides of the aisle - and now he will be made to pay. It's a pity that is what the world is.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    In some other world, sure, it'd be great to not need things like keeping information private for national security reasons...

...but none of us live in that world as it does not exist.

I would be shocked if even 10% of classified information was classified for legitimate reasons that didn't expire in five years or less.

Governments misbehave when given broad secrecy powers. It's a law of the universe.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So if he worked with Chelsea to hack into a secure DoD computer network....no probs.

Gotcha.
    Imma go with Hough here. He should be extradited and tried. If he did work with the former dude to hack secured data, he should be prosecuted for it. But. I do get the reasoning for the flipping. He’s evil when he exposes information that damns your side, but then he’s providing a public service when he damns the other.

I will say this. If he’s extradited, his trial needs to be as public and transparent as possible. I suspect there is a strong motivation to find him guilty regardless of facts.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Imma go with Hough here. He should be extradited and tried. If he did work with the former dude to hack secured data, he should be prosecuted for it. But. I do get the reasoning for the flipping. He’s evil when he exposes information that damns your side, but then he’s providing a public service when he damns the other.

I will say this. If he’s extradited, his trial needs to be as public and transparent as possible. I suspect there is a strong motivation to find him guilty regardless of facts.
    I'm guessing it will be exactly the opposite. National security will dictate that the courtroom be sealed.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm guessing it will be exactly the opposite. National security will dictate that the courtroom be sealed.

That does not happen. 6th Amendment. However, what information they extracted (if they did) is not necessarily relevant and can be held from disclosure. That hacking occurred or was planned, how it was to be carried out and the nature of what they were looking for- relevant. The contents of the exact classified information, not so much.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'm guessing one side wants to squeeze him to implicate Trump, and the other side wants to squeeze him to implicate those who sought to bring Trump down. Either way, it doesn't look pretty to be him and I'm unsure 'the Truth' will ever be known because I'm not sure we will be able to trust anything that comes of this

If one side changes tack and starts saying how he should be released with a slap on the wrist, will that mean he has the most dirt on that side or that he has agreed to work for them?

Top Bottom