• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So I am slowly saving up some money so that I can get an AR and am torn between what I should be saving up for so I am throwing it out to the INGO community :ingo: to help me come up with my decision,

I know that I want something with an AR platform but I can't determine what caliber or type I would like. I know that I want either a 22 or a .223/5.56.

Pros I see for the 22 are:
    Practical in that I could hunt with it and it is a lot more affordable to not only purchase but to shoot. If I go with a 22 I have narrowed it down to two options being a S&W or a Colt and I am leaning towards the S&W because having looked at both I prefer the look and feel of it, especially the S&W MOE editions. Since it is cheaper to shoot I'd be able to shoot more often and put the money elsewhere. Also am more likely to eventually get my wife to try it out.

Cons for the 22:
    It's a very small caliber and besides small game hunting and plinking it won't do me much good in a SHTF situation unless I have impeccable aim. Not as exciting as a .223

Pros for a .223:
    For a SHTF situation it'll serve me a lot better than the 22. although for home protection I already am covered with reliable PX4. I have also found they are extremely fun to shoot. The only manufacturer of a .223 I would look at would be a Bushmaster due to price unless I find a used one on INGO for the right price of another maker.

Cons for a .223
    More expensive to buy and shoot, also in my opinion I highly doubt I'd ever be in a SHTF scenario where I would be going for a rifle over my sidearm so the added expense might not justify my joy of shooting it. Other than target shooting and defense I see no use for a .223 since it's my understanding you cannot hunt with them.

The practical side of me is leaning towards the .22 S&W so I can pick one up a lot sooner as well as it being a lot cheaper to use. Due to budget reasons I'm guessing I'll only have one rifle purchase for a while so I want to make a good educated choice..

Any other tips on where to find the best prices for one or anything like that are welcome...

:cool: :popcorn:

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Me personally I'd go with a 5.56/.223 version, and that is what I did. for a .22 I have a Marlin model 60. You can buy a conversion kit to shoot .22 our of a regular 5.56/.223 AR if that helps at all. I use my AR for paper punching and coyote hunting. so I wanted something to reach out farther than a .22.

Edit: There are plenty of manufacturers out there, just shop around. I have an Olympic Arms, and I haven't had a single problem yett.

Dirtdart504

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Bargersville, IN
    I'm with Mark-DuCo. I'd recommend the 5.56/.223. If you want a .22, get a purpose built .22. The main advantage of an AR style .22 is to simulate the feel and controls of your primary weapon at a greatly reduced cost. The same can be achieved with a conversion. I don't have any personal experience, but I've heard to watch shooting lead .22 through a .223 barrel. Also, you can greatly reduce your costs by taking up reloading. Plus it's fun. All that being said, now is not the right time to buy an evil black rifle. Even though we got past the last panic, supply hasn't caught up yet. Maybe get a nice Marlin or Ruger .22 and revisit the thought of an AR in 6 months or a year. Things should have stabilized by then. And, if the SHTF, then who cares what caliber you hunt with?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Have you seen the price of 22 lately. it's not that much cheaper. That being said, I would agree with the previous 2 post. .223/5.56 Nothing like shooting the real thing :-) I have shot a few of the 15-22's and own a real AR15 and they aren't the same they are fun but... Buy a regular 22 rifle to save $ not a 10-22 to pretend. Just my :twocents:

:popcorn: carry on....

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    I would definitely go with 223/5.56! If you want to plink get a cheap 22. I have have two, one tactically set up and one with a 20" long barrel set up for more long rang shooting. I reload and only have about 1/3 of the cost of store bought ammo and can fine tune my loads. Just my opinion.

John317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I was figuring everyone would be recommending the .223, didn't know if anyone would make the 22 argument. thanks for the input, well except to kickback.... it'll still be a few weeks til I make a purchase so gives me more time to find what I want..

I have a feeling that if I went with the 22 first that I would just be starting all over trying to save for a .223. right away.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Due to budget reasons I'm guessing I'll only have one rifle purchase for a while so I want to make a good educated choice.. Any other tips on where to find the best prices for one or anything like that are welcome...:cool: :popcorn:

In your OP , you mention SHTF a few times so I'll stick with that line of thinking .

Have an AR with a conversion kit , why ? Because everybody and their brother has some type of firearm that shoots those rounds .

Depending on how bad things get and how you play your cards , that might work out in your favor .

Having an AK would also be a good idea for the same reason .

I understand money is tight , isn't it always ? It took me four years to get mine the way I want it .

It's a simple DelTon carbine with heavy barrel , Aimpoint and a suppressor . Not the "best" but it hasn't been a pos either and at 100 yards I'd put it up against any other rifle .

I just can't fire dirty steel ammo (Tula) through it .

It was just over $700 out the door before the latest round of stupid hit .

Point is , save for what you want or you won't be happy and will wind up spending more money buying crap you thought you wanted .

Buy once , cry once .

Shop around , here in town there are plenty of stores that sell them but it takes some leg work on your part .

Don't be afraid to ask for the best out the door price you can get , HAGGLE ! Some stores WILL cut you a deal .

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Ain't nothing like the real thing. Get a 5.56( I'm sure you know this but a .223 rifle can't handle a 5.56 but a 5.56 can handle .223). Then you have 2 cartridge options.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I've had fewer moments of pure shooting joy than the first time I took my CMMG Bravo 22LR conversion kit out and burned through a couple hundred rounds of 22LR. When done shooting, simply fire a few rounds of 5.56 to clear out the gas tube, and be sure to give the rifle a good cleaning (especially the chamber!) afterward.

Won't win any benchrest matches, but the conversion is minute o' soda can to 75-100yd.

And did I mention FUN!

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I concur with getting the .223/5.56 and then a .22 conversion bolt or, preferably, a dedicated upper. They both work, they're both "hunting" accurate, but having tried both I migrated to the purpose built upper. However, the suggestion to just get a separate .22 rifle is a very good one if you aren't stuck on the AR platform for the .22LR. The conversions run about $200, maybe $150 used. You can pick up a Marlin 795 or Marlin 60 for less than that, and have a dedicated platform every bit as accurate as a .223/5.56 AR running the conversion.

skunkworks1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    I went the route avboiler11 mentioned. the 22 lr bolt conversion doesn't allows function perfectly, but is fun and cost effective. good luck.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Plus its a Barbie doll for us boys! You have so many options its crazy and fun.

here is an example of the longer range rifle I just finished. I havent shot it since I have done all the mods but it looks mean!

This is what I started with
    picture.php

and this is it now, except I moved the scope completly back onto the upper.
    picture.php

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I have both and they both have there place. I have the CMMG dedicated upper and love it it is as accurate as any good rifle out there. But cost is a factor right now it would be hard to get one. The S&W is a nice 22 but it is not the same as a mil spec lower. If you can only afford 1 I would go with the 5.56 first then look at other options.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Where do you shoot at? It may be a consideration. I have both an AR & a 15-22. I like my AR, and am glad I have both, but I shoot the 15-22 much more due to (pre-panic) ammo pricing, but also due to the fact that I can shoot the 15-22 at MCF&G. To shoot the AR, I have to go to Atterbury, or I would have to head over to Beech Grove (and then could only shoot 25 yards or so).

Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    FWIW, I have shot both the S&W 15-22 and Umarex Colt .22LR and prefer the S&W.

If you wish to plink and maybe hunt squirrels I would look for a nice bolt action or lever gun in .22LR. They will be cheaper and you can find used ones all over the place for very little money.

If you are heading to an AR platform I would not choose based on price alone. There are good options for a low price and the platform will most likely come down in price in the next several months. Such was the pattern last several times we had this idiocy going on.

cubbetm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    I have a 15-22 and I love it. at the moment i just leave it at home but only because I can't find ammo. if I had the choice I'd bring it to the range everytime I go and only shoot my 556 at the end of the day

Top Bottom