• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    That would be an unregistered sbr (assuming you put the stock on). At the least you have constructive intent.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    As asinine as the legal definitions are, a legal handgun plus a stock equals an SBR. In fact, on a new-build weapon, it is illegal for a handgun to have any provision for mounting a stock as I understand it (i.e., building a Krinkov from a kit, you may not legally drill the holes through which the folding stock would attach). I don't understand why a weapon under stated dimensions is not simply considered a handgun, but my opinion plus logical thought will not get you any mileage in any court anywhere!

12bee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    The pic changed and now it's listed under NFA firearms.It would be legal if you pay the tax stamp and do the proper paperwork.Before it was listed under rifles and showed the stock. Looks factory boxed to me.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    "This post has been deactivated by the seller. You will no longer be able to contact the seller, but the post is retained for your convenience."

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Could you buy it and just not attach the stock?

That depends entirely upon how it was registered when manufactured, just like when you buy and AR15 receiver, if you want to build a handgun, you have to buy a receiver that was registered by the manufacturer as a handgun, otherwise you are making an illegal SBR even if in pure pistol configuration. Ditto when you buy a TC Contender or Encore. If you buy one registered and sold as a handgun, you can put as long a barrel as you like on it, but not a stock. If you buy one registered/sold as a rifle, you had better not put anything under 16" on the front end of it unless you want buggered by Bubba.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Stuff like this pops up from time to time and I wonder as well.

Could anybody be that stoopid? :dunno:

Maybe it's just me but seems to be happening more and more lately. ATF must be getting desperate :dunno:
    I received this email the other day for a handgun I had listed on Armslist:
    "I'll buy it, I am from Ohio, looking for a good ccw gun"

My response went something like ummm.... no.
    Maybe I should have told him to meet me outside Wrigley Field.:):

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I saw a gent at my club yrs ago, with an Encore equipped with pistol bbl. He had the factory box and stuff by his bench. Affixed was a buttstock and it had a rifle scope.

He wanted to check out the accuracy of his handloads.

I said "excuse me sir......" (and proceeded to explain the rules).

He said he didn't know he couldn't do that, esp since the buttstock change was so easy he said it couldn't be.

I pointed to the big red warning on the TC box..........

Told him I don't care what he does, but somebody else could come along and feel differently.

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    I don't understand why a weapon under stated dimensions is not simply considered a handgun, but my opinion plus logical thought will not get you any mileage in any court anywhere!

The reason the SBR/SBS rules don't make any sense is because NFA '34 was originally written to include all handguns, too. Basically everything under the minimum OAL, whether it had a shoulder stock or not, would have required a tax stamp to cross state lines.

The National Revolver Association successfully lobbied to get the handguns out of the proposed law, and thus we are left with the bizarre rules we have now. If common sense were actually common, they'd just remove the OAL and barrel length regs altogether, but I wouldn't stand on one foot waiting for common sense to break out in the .gov...

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Saw this at a range ...

... 4" radiator clamp, butt stock off an SKS folder, GLOCK gen 2 with finger-grooves, all nicely set up to fire w/ 33-rd magazine. I immediately left for Wendy's. That was a ten / ten gun, wasn't it??

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If common sense were actually common, they'd just remove the OAL and barrel length regs altogether, but I wouldn't stand on one foot waiting for common sense to break out in the .gov...

You mean something along the lines of reading the Constitution (including the Bill of Rights), doing what it says, and not doing what it doesn't say? I am with you. I don't see that happening any time soon, either.

1 old 0311

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Carmel
    Maybe it's just me but seems to be happening more and more lately. ATF must be getting desperate :dunno:

I got the same crap pulled on me. Someone advised me to contact IMPD and have them do a sting on the ATF. Now THAT would be funny.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010

Yeah, I had the exact same thing on Armslist.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    That depends entirely upon how it was registered when manufactured, just like when you buy and AR15 receiver, if you want to build a handgun, you have to buy a receiver that was registered by the manufacturer as a handgun, otherwise you are making an illegal SBR even if in pure pistol configuration. Ditto when you buy a TC Contender or Encore. If you buy one registered and sold as a handgun, you can put as long a barrel as you like on it, but not a stock. If you buy one registered/sold as a rifle, you had better not put anything under 16" on the front end of it unless you want buggered by Bubba.

i didnt know that there were handgun ar receivers and rifle ar receivers???

is there a way to tell the difference?

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    i didnt know that there were handgun ar receivers and rifle ar receivers???

is there a way to tell the difference?

Unless you filled out the original 4473 yourself or it's it's one of the newer ones that actually come marked "PISTOL ONLY" from the manufacturer, not really.

You could, I suppose, call the manufacturer and ask how receiver S/N # such-and-such is listed on their books.

Top Bottom