• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Is anyone here using a Safety Razor like this one below?

Merkur Long Handle Double Edge Safety Razor 4" - Knifecenter.com

I started looking into these as a cheaper alternative to the replacement blades I have been using. It also looks like if a guy got in a tight spot he could resharpen these himself. I saw replacement blades for these at Meyers for $4 per 10 replacements. I just can't see paying what they charge for the Gillette replacements anymore. If I trusted myself with a straight razor I'd go that way, but I'm too clumbsy for one of those.

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    I've used safety razors for years. Mug and brush the whole deal. I've shaved with a straight razor several times and in all honesty I don't see any advantage to it. I mean your not saving anything by sharpening the straight razor. Even if you can do it on your own your time is worth alot more then the few cent's a new Double edge razor blade costs, And I couldn't tell any difference in closeness at all.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Sounds good. I'm just trying to think of ways to stop paying $5 per replacement blade. It just seems outragious the more I think about it.

How does the safety razor compare to a regular old Gillette or whatever typical replacement head razor out there?

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    With both a DE and a straight you have the same work to do as far as getting your face ready and actually shaving. You take your brush, mug and soap work up a lather apply it to your WARM facial hair and then shave it off. I like to go down all of it. or with the grain then re lather and go back over it with up strokes. or against the grain strokes. After wards if your really bored you can do cross strokes. But I find it unnessaccary and you run the risk of breaking out if you have sensitive skin.

As far as the shaves results between then two - I really can't tell a bit a difference. The only time you will be able to tell a difference is when the straight isn't sharpened well enough. A straight razor holds it's edge approximately as well as a butter knife made out of butter will. lol

That's the main reason I went to DE and never looked back. No Hones or strops to buy, No half hour of work to get a good shave every shave. just drop in a new razor and go is much better suited for my life style.

Now for the ease of use either one will cut the crap out of you if you don't pay attention. If you move the edge of either to the side while it's on your skin you have a cut instantly.

But compare either of the old ways of shaving to the new crap they shove down your throat on TV and there is no contest. The old ways are a lot cheaper, give you a much much better shave, and it's more enjoyable.

I don't understand why men quit using them and went to the newest greatest 5 blade whatever you call it. Once you try it you wont go back.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I know I went to the five blade razors just to try them out and in all fairness to them, they are very nice. Anymore though I just can't see spending that much every time I put such a little box into the shopping cart. I have a new safety razor on order and in the mail heading my way. I'll write something up when it gets here.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Yes, I use a safety razor. And yes, I get a closer shave from it. I also get many more uses out of one blade than I do from even the "best" (insert marketing gimmick here) disposable razor.

I have a tough beard. With most disposables I get maybe two good shaves before I have to toss it into the trash. With the safety razor I get approximately six shaves before having to change the blade. Due to a nerve dysfunction, many razors make it feel like I am tearing half of my face off with the shave, something that I have not had unless I am nearing the end of the blade's life.

I really like my safety razor.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I got around the expensive replacement blade problem years ago. I don't spend anywhere NEAR what I used to on razor blades.

I quit shaving about 10 years ago! :D

tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    Wow... I thought I was pretty much the only one!

I have a ton of this stuff. I have creams and blades from all over the world, vintage adjustable Gillette DE razors one from my birth year, one from my wife's birth year, and one from the 70s, injector razors, brushes, balms, aftershaves, colognes.

Some of my favorite creams and soaps are made in St Charles, Mo. by St Charles Shave. Sue and Wendy are the best.

I get a far better, closer, longer lasting shave with a DE. I got tired of spending a fortune on blade refills.

For more info, if needed, see a website called shavemyface.com.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I buy the disposable razors, they are cheaper than refills and last longer too, you still get a two, three, or four blade razor and the pivot head but at about half the cost or cheaper than refill blades.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well,
    I've been using my safety razor for about a week now and I really like it. It's different, but it does a good job. It gets about 90% of what a gillette fusion would do, but it's still great and sooooo much cheaper.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Used a safety razor when I was a teenager that used to tear me up because I got a tough growth and sensitive skin, so when I got my first double bladed Bic I never thought twice about going back.

Now using the Fusion, I shave in the shower and make sure that it's good and hot. Get a great close shave and can use it for 8 uses if I don't shave on Sat and butcher the blade with a long growth, or can get 10 if I shave every day.

Top Bottom