• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    The 40 caliber is not new and also not new is its demise. The 38-40 Winchester was born in 1874 and continued with moderate to slow success for 63 years.

Us cowboys brought it back in 1993 primarily for CAS where power isn’t needed.

When the dying .40 S&W quits moving all together, perhaps some shooting sports program will resurrect its dead body after 56 years.

Meanwhile, like a bird riding on a Hippo eating fleas, the 10MM rides the novelty of the on again off again .40 Caliber.

It is nice however that those that follow this caliber have something to worship but I wish they would take their brass with them and keep it out of my 45 brass

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Decades old decisions by empires and nations long gone.

First the Austro/Hungarians.
    The 8X56R (and for that matter the 8MM mauser) was designed with Machine guns first and foremost in mind. They know that it would be a compromise at best in a rifle, and an absolute dread in a Carbine. But the recoil and other bad trade offs was seen worth it to get the performance out of the MGs and stick to one small arms cartridge. Yes the stupid rimmed case and shape was weird, but you need to aim the same hate at 8×50mmR Lebel (french) as well.. okay well maybe the Lebel didn't have the recoil, but it had a similar dumb design. 8MM Mauser was a much better compromise if your going to do that, and some 8MM is like a mule kick.

The Italians went the other direction.. and made things worse by severe indecision.
    View attachment 318867 View attachment 318868
    It is important to note that there is a THIRD small arms cartridge in this equation.
    The 8×59mm Rb Breda. This was for machine guns only. The Italians realized quick that this would be absolutely brutal in a rifle. This was opposite from a rimmed cartridge, in that it had a rebated smaller then case diameter rim.

So enter the 7.35 Carcano as the new rifle cartridge. And it was going to be used in a new recoil operated semi auto rifle. The Italians had actually beat everyone else but the US and adopted a semi auto. The Armaguerra Mod. 39 rifle. The 7.35 Carcano was a pretty forward thinking and advanced cartridge (The one above on the right)

However the Italians realized they bit way way off then they could chew, and brought back the obsolete 6.5 mid war, because they could make tons of those.
    This post epitomizes why I love INGO

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Alaska?!? I don't know what you are smoking but you should be sharing. Alaska has the 3rd smallest population in America lol. I figured the poll I posted was more generous (because it was) the poll you posted indicates even less people who own a 10mm carry one (further proving my point they just sit and are not shot).

40 is dead, and only 1911's should be chambered in 45acp. I am absolutely positive for every 1 10mm gun SIG or Glock sell they sell 30 9mm guns.

Once again 10mm is annoying just like Jeff Cooper was.
    You still haven't proved they don't sell.
    Just personal feelings is all I'm seeing.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    25 acp is the only cartridge I think should disappear. As stated up thread the 32 acp makes the 25 worthless.
    Hey we need something to shoot out of teeny tiny pistols.

Its possible to make a physically smaller pistol shoot 25ACP then shoot 22LR.
    Yes I realize its mostly pointless. But Beretta did have a pistol so small it only chambered 25acp or 22 short

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

Yes I realize its mostly pointless. But Beretta did have a pistol so small it only chambered 25acp or 22 short
    Yes, but that little pistol was useless. I guess not totally useless, it would still keep papers from blowing away.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.

Yes I realize it’s mostly pointless. But Beretta did have a pistol so small it only chambered 25acp or 22 short
    I feel that the pocket sized 380s and 32s are virtually the same size while offering significantly better ballistics.

I’m ready to see the 25 auto go away.

Pics to keep the thread interesting.
    20171223_163802.jpg
    Some 25 auto I played with several years back. Actually expanded in dirt.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I don't think that many calibers really "go away," as long as there are people who have a gun chambered in the caliber and need the ammo. One of the biggest dumb takes is that "40 is dead." Really? Literally dominated LE sales and had a huge following for 2 decades. Did the hundreds of thousands of pistols chambered in .40 suddenly vaporize because the FBI went back to 9mm? I don't think that .40 S&W will ever regain the popularity that it had at one time, but it's not going anywhere.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    You still haven't proved they don't sell.
    Just personal feelings is all I'm seeing.

No one knows exactly , it's not like Smith and Wesson or Glock actually release these numbers lol. But find me one time where a 10mm sits on the gun broker best sellers list. Personal biases aside it's not popular , i go to the range at least twice a week and see a 10mm maybe once every few months.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    No one knows exactly , it's not like Smith and Wesson or Glock actually release these numbers lol. But find me one time where a 10mm sits on the gun broker best sellers list. Personal biases aside it's not popular , i go to the range at least twice a week and see a 10mm maybe once every few months.
    I know it's not popular nothing like 9mm, 45acp or even 45Colt, but it serves a purpose mostly for protection from dangerous game, and when you need a lot more penetration than 9mm or 45acp can give.
    Think of 10mm like a 357mag packed in a semi automatic. That's how I look at it.
    IMO 10mm out preforms the 357mag in every way. Now I'm going to start calling it 40 Cooper just for you :lmfao:

tsilveus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 4, 2014
    United States
    Some Italians made a machine pistol in 25ACP, I'll allow it
    View attachment 318918
    But I'm not sure the 380 needs to continue existing. And...does anyone make guns in 45 GAP anymore?
    45 GAP - Springfield hasn't made them since 2006, I think. Para made them for one year around that time. And Glock still shows the 45 GAP in Gen 4 but only the 37 - the 38 and 39 are Gen 3. You can find new ones (37/38/39) but they may just be old stock - not sure they pump many out these days.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I have a Broomhandle that's chambered for 38 super or maybe 9 X 25. It has the little divot cut in the follower you find with the 9 X 25 chambering, and takes 38 Super ammo. I use Lee 125 grain hard cast bullets and a milder loading so I can load the same ammo in my Colts.

View attachment 318739
    Love the looks of the broomhandles. Not thinking you mean 9x25 as I think that is made by necking down a 10mm case, at least 9x25 Dillon is

38 super is 9 x 23ish, as the modern brass is 22.75mm - wee bit shorter than the 38 ACP parent case's 22.9mm. I don't see it referred to in component or finished ammo sales by the metric designation, usually just 38 super, 38 super auto or 38SA

Not sure why the factories are so cautious but you have to roll your own to get to 1300fps (or beyond)

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I know it's not popular nothing like 9mm, 45acp or even 45Colt, but it serves a purpose mostly for protection from dangerous game, and when you need a lot more penetration than 9mm or 45acp can give.
    Think of 10mm like a 357mag packed in a semi automatic. That's how I look at it.
    IMO 10mm out preforms the 357mag in every way. Now I'm going to start calling it 40 Cooper just for you :lmfao:
    I call it 40 S&W Long.

Really tweaks those who think that the difference between Short & Weak and the Hammer of Thor is about 200 ft lbs of energy.

:)

Top Bottom