• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I have a friend who brags about checking the box, on every 4473 he fills out, that he is African American. He is as Caucasian as they come, but his position is that he IS an American, and most science books contend that mankind originated in Africa, so his ancestors DID come from Africa. Therefore, he claims that he IS an African American. Do you think he can get in trouble for this? Wouldn't it skew firearms purchase statistics if EVERYONE did this. Why is it necessary to collect race/color information for a firearm purchase anyway? Why isn't religion and sexual orientation information collected as well?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    As for the why of the question- I'll leave that for others.

Will he get in trouble? Probably not. Could he? Yes. He knows very well what they are asking and is making a false statement regardless of his grade-school argumentation to the contrary.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I would have him re do the 4473 with correct information. If he didnt comply......cya

The problem with that, is how can you determine someones race by their color? Our president is 50% Caucasian, 25% African Anerican, and 25% Arab decent. What would he check on a 4473? We can all pretty much agree that he would check African American. However, would he be WRONG if he checked Caucasian?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Or what about white/light skinned folks who are actually FROM Africa?

An American citizen, of "Caucasian" descent, but from Namibia is - by definition, an African-American.

-J-

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    I would have him re do the 4473 with correct information. If he didnt comply......cya

The problem with that, is how can you determine someones race by their color? Our president is 50% Caucasian, 25% African Anerican, and 25% Arab decent. What would he check on a 4473? We can all pretty much agree that he would check African American. However, would he be WRONG if he checked Caucasian?

Exactly, whose to say he wasn't black. If thats what he identifies himself as. He might appear white, but how would you quantify race? He looks white, so he must be white? If I saw Michael Jackson and never knew him from his younger days I would say the man was white, but I'd be wrong.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    If the gentleman is in the FBI database as "white" for an other reason, he'll end up with a denial....and probably get a flag on his record which could cause subsequent denials.

If you want to be cute, protest naked. If you want to buy a firearm, don't mess around.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Douchebags... They are everywhere.

Are the odds good that he will get in trouble? Not really. Should he? Yes, simply for acting like a douche.

Then again, I will laugh if he does get in trouble for it.

Have you seen him doing this with your own eyes? Or is this a friend of a friend that bought a dog from one times's first cousin had a buddy who lived next door to this feller that dated this one girl who really wasnt a girl, but had a pastor that had odd views type of situation?

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I saw him do it once at the 1500. The dealer didn't bat an eye, but I guess it it's not the dealers job to define someones race.

Ok... Just making sure it wasn't a case of some dude talking a good game.

I would say that its not the gun shop clerk's job to judge race (I dont even understand why we have to identify race on there)... But technically he is falsifying information... He could get in a bind.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    I have a friend who for all intent and purpose appears white. He checks both African American and White. He is the first person I have encountered to do so.
    He pointed that out to me on his first purchase. Makes sense to me.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    Charlize Theron is white and is African.

Since Charlize Theron is an American citizen, she is DEFINITELY African-American.

By contrast, a black, British dude is NOT African-American. He's African-English or whatever.

It seems a strange term because it does little to describe what it is meant to describe.

But, as far as how do you prove it, the legal standard might be whatever you say you are. Recently, that is what the US government has said about gender. It is official government policy that if a person born a man, looks like a man, etc, claims to be a woman, he is entitled to use women's restrooms, etc at federal buildings.

If you can choose your gender, I don't see why you can't choose your ethnicity. I think I'm choosing Klingon.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    By law all you really need to do is check one box in that section. The atf could care less what you check. You can check them all if you want.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Charlize Theron is white and is African.
    Yeah, South African!

That's not a race, or even an ethnicity - it's a nationality. Definitely not African American.

They don't even give this info over the phone, so 99.5% of the time no one sees it ever again.

scottm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Hobart
    I have a feeling any dealer that accepts a falsified government document and "doesnt bat an eye" is more worried about those dollars being green, not the color of the purchasers skin...

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    IMHO it's stupid place to mess around. When I'm buying a gun from a dealer and filling in the form, that means I want to purchase the firearm not make some stupid statement. :twocents:

Top Bottom