• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    On the ak builder jig, after bending, can't you use 2 bolts to push out the flat through the threaded holes in the bottom?

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Maybe you can but I wouldn't do it. The holes are not that big and once you unscrew the end bolts holding in the sandwich bar, there is not a lot of room in there. You are likely to push against a bolt and possibly ruin it. Also, there is a lot of lateral pressure on the punch and receiver. If you try to push with a bolt, you are focusing that pressure in a small area rather than using the surface area of the hammer to get it out. Also, I can't hold that jig, a bolt in the hole and the hammer at the same time. I was trying to be quiet when I filmed so if you can make noise, the punch will come out with a few good whacks against the top of it like I did in the video. Grease is your friend.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Here, that's what they're there for.
    [video=youtube_share;LmX6d5tpW04]http://youtu.be/LmX6d5tpW04[/video]

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I think what Thewabbits referring to is that you are pushing against the cap screw heads in the jig. It will eventually damage the cap screw making it harder to remove the die bar after repeated use. His die bends a lot of flats. I see no issue with tapping it off with a mallet. Verses having to use vise grips to get the cap screws off after you mash them. It's all in the way you want to use your tool. No doubt both ways work.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Sure, I didn't film it. I have just seen it done a few times. I'm living vicariously through videos like yours, until I can justify the $. Can't wait for the next one. Keep up the good work.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I just checked and I did not see the last video? the last one I see is "What flat to buy" from the 21st.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I'll go check it out. Looking forward to the next update.

Can you post the link to your channel with your thread update? Makes for one less click to go back to the main page. What can I say, I'm lazy :lmfao:

BTW, I'm enjoying the series. Keep up the good work!

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I found another AK-74 flat to bend so I redid the flat bending video. I also bent the AMD-65 flat and editing that video too. Here's a look at the test fit after bending.

attachment.php
    [/IMG]

Top Bottom