• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Last night at the Parabellum Match I discussed how it takes a dedicated crew that wants to shoot to help come out and put on matches.

One of the best ways for people that want to shoot, but do not know how to design stages or where to start, in my opinion, is this :
    -2 or 3 of you offer to build a stage in a bay
    -find a stage that you like, have shot somewhere, or find one
    -There are over 2400 approved level 2 and 3 match stages online at https://uspsa.org/stages
    -There are 94 classifier stages to pick from https://uspsa.org/classifiers
    (having 2 or 3 guys offer to just build out the classifier stage is a huge help to a club)
    -There is a facebook group page where people post stage designs for ideas

If two or three groups from the club each took a turn picking a bay and organizing it monthly, and then offered to construct a stage within that bay, it would be an enormous help.

Taking a stage design and physically setting it up on the ground is the most effective way to understand what works and what doesn't. It's also an excellent way to involve more people, and it challenges not only the individual setting it up but also those who compete on it. There's a unique sense of pride in putting a stage together, watching others and yourself navigate it, and seeing the end result.

Managing a shooting match is a substantial task; the actual shooting part lasts less than five minutes, but the planning and setup can take hours, all resting on the shoulders of one Match Director. By volunteering, you can help lighten this load. Just this past Sunday, almost 90 shooters participated in matches at the Riley and Ft. Wayne USPSA clubs. A few more people pitching in to devise and build stages would make the events more enjoyable for everyone involved.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    He's already got his own match.

Man, we could use some gung-ho young blood. I think about putting on a match and all I see is the pain for 2 days afterwards.
    Damn boy you're way too young ...wait till you really get old. Maybe you should take up Trap Shooting then you'll be the young blood.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    He's already got his own match.

Man, we could use some gung-ho young blood. I think about putting on a match and all I see is the pain for 2 days afterwards.
    Could you comment more on the "pain" part...is that setting up the stages you're referring to?

Or is it submitting scores to USPSA by some kind of timeline, making corrections, dealing with money, or...?

Just trying to get an idea what the "heavy lifting" part is, and is it something which can be improved, or is it "fixed effort" stuff that is more mandatory.

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    Could you comment more on the "pain" part...is that setting up the stages you're referring to?

Or is it submitting scores to USPSA by some kind of timeline, making corrections, dealing with money, or...?

Just trying to get an idea what the "heavy lifting" part is, and is it something which can be improved, or is it "fixed effort" stuff that is more mandatory.
    It was a sarcastic comment. We have a good set-up crew. We run a tight ship. No complaints on help.
    It's a lot of work to stand up a match both physical and mental. I personally am worn out for a few days after match day.

However, it's obvious to most of us that the same 10ish people do all the work. It would be nice to see some younger people step-in and step-up so we could step out!

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    It was a sarcastic comment. We have a good set-up crew. We run a tight ship. No complaints on help.
    It's a lot of work to stand up a match both physical and mental. I personally am worn out for a few days after match day.

However, it's obvious to most of us that the same 10ish people do all the work. It would be nice to see some younger people step-in and step-up so we could step out!

New ones stepping in is going to be a wishful thinking. The fact that there's hardly anyone willing to RO (which is actually the lighter load compared to your load). tells you all that there's not much drive from others to help out.

This may sound straight forward, but why not just step out? What's keeping you from stepping out? If the hole is there long enough, there should be someone new to fill it in.

This is a hobby, not work. I have seen you worked your ass off to the ground to keep this going. It's not healthy.

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    New ones stepping in is going to be a wishful thinking. The fact that there's hardly anyone willing to RO (which is actually the lighter load compared to your load). tells you all that there's not much drive from others to help out.

This may sound straight forward, but why not just step out? What's keeping you from stepping out? If the hole is there long enough, there should be someone new to fill it in.

This is a hobby, not work. I have seen you worked your ass off to the ground to keep this going. It's not healthy.
    Eh... This thread might be a little out of proportion. It was sarcasm and a some dark humor.

Would I step away? Yes.

Do I want to be MD? When it's convenient.

Do I want to step away bad enough to kill the club? No.

Do I think in general the community doesn't help their club enough? Absolutely.

As for ACC. We've got a good club and good help. Likely the strongest crew in the state. Couldn't do it without them. Mongo helps still. Tom is a rock solid stats/admin guy. Im just the cat herder.

I'm a notorious fair weather guy, and I'm also trying to get past a few nagging injuries. Canceling an unpredictable march was a no brainer. Case in point Sunday set-up would likely be in the 30s with wind chill. U got the wrong MD for that s**t. U need some young dude convinced they need the reps to win nats... Not old dudes who's hands don't work under 40.

Hopefully see everyone in late April.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Eh... This thread might be a little out of proportion. It was sarcasm and a some dark humor.

Would I step away? Yes.

Do I want to be MD? When it's convenient.

Do I want to step away bad enough to kill the club? No.

Do I think in general the community doesn't help their club enough? Absolutely.

As for ACC. We've got a good club and good help. Likely the strongest crew in the state. Couldn't do it without them. Mongo helps still. Tom is a rock solid stats/admin guy. Im just the cat herder.

I'm a notorious fair weather guy, and I'm also trying to get past a few nagging injuries. Canceling an unpredictable march was a no brainer. Case in point Sunday set-up would likely be in the 30s with wind chill. U got the wrong MD for that s**t. U need some young dude convinced they need the reps to win nats... Not old dudes who's hands don't work under 40.

Hopefully see everyone in late April.
    Well said. As a fellow ACC member...we are strong. No question.
    Setup and shooting in 30 degree weather is ridiculous. (And yes, "other clubs do it." We don't need to be them.)
    Not to mention trying to maintain safe weapons handling in those temps while racing for speed...not a good combination.

Top Bottom