• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    at the shop. I wasn't going to post about it until I had a chance to talk to the police to find out what (if anything) came about from the incident. When I do I will post a follow up.

Around noon I was working out a trade with a gentleman. The weather was nice so I had the shop door open. It was nice to not have the A/C on and to air out the shop...While I was preparing the 4473 I noticed two young men running and looking over their shoulder as they were beelining towards the shop. The customer is a friend (most of mine are) and I told him to look sharp and put my hand on the revolver I keep at hand (not my holstered one that is always on me). As they flew into the door (second thoughts about keeping the door open no matter what the weather crept into mind) I held up my left hand and said, "Whoa right there boys." in a firm voice. The oldest of the young men (20 years old) said "A man just pointed a gun at me and when we went to Subway to call the police we saw him following us and we hung up on the police. I saw your sign advertising a gun store and figured this was a safe place to call them back." There was genuine fear in his voice, the other young man was shaking like a leaf and turned out to be 16 years old. I told them to have a seat and to please keep their hands on the table where I could see them. I told them they were safe here. I could see a good hundred yards and told them that the gentleman appeared to be no longer following them. I called our local police and told them what was happening. The young lady confirmed that they (the young men) were just on the phone with them which confirmed the young mens story as being legit and said they had an officer on the way.

I offered the young gentleman a pepsi to calm their nerves (Thank You Liam Neeson in "Taken") and asked them to tell me exactly what happened. There is a skateboard shop down the road with a tatoo parlor next to it. The 20 year old went outside to have a cigarette and as he was finishing the cig he went to put it out in the ashtray that is in front of the tatoo parlor (next to two chairs that look like hands, if any of you are familiar with Eastern Blvd you will know where I am talking about.) While putting out his cigarette a man opened the door of the tatoo parlor with a gun on his hip (holstered) and asked the young man, "Are you loitering?" the young man said no that he was just putting his cigarette out in the ash tray. At this point the man drew his firearm, pointed it at the kids head and said, "Five seconds."

The kid went back inside the skateboard shop and grabbed his buddy and said, "We got to get out of here." They went down Eastern Blvd and went into the Subway to ask to use their phone to call the police to report that a man with a gun had threatened him. It was while on the phone at Subway that they noticed the man was walking down Eastern Blvd with his gun still on his hip and that is when they took off running and came into my shop.

When the police arrived they took a statement from the young man and went to search for the man with the firearm. Neither young man had an ID nor a cell phone on him (but there is no law that says they should). After the officer left I let the young men use the phone to call their family to come pick them up. His dad must have already left to pick them up at the Skateboard shop because he didn't answer the phone and the last I saw them they were heading back to the Skateboard shop going down the back alley to avoid walking in front the Tatoo Parlor again. That is the last I have seen of them. The officer came back about 5 minutes after they had left looking for them and I pointed the direction they had went..

And that's it..It was strange and I am looking forward to talking to the officer the next time I see him to find out what happened. I know that the guy who runs the Tatoo Parlor keeps a 1911 on his hip and I hope it wasn't him that did did this. I have only met him once and he seemed like a nice enough guy. I have had people loiter here out in front of the shop. I give them 5 minutes and if they have not left I go out there and tell them to either come inside or leave. I may call down at the station today to find out the rest of the story. Anyway, that's my strange gun story of the week.

Oh..And my customer and I worked out the trade..Anyone looking for a salt mine kept, mint, all matching M44? MillerTyme??? Johntheplinker? Worksalot?:D

Last edited:

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Man if what this boy says is true, looks like the guy could be facing a Class D Felony. Yikes!!

IC 35-47-4-3
    Pointing firearm at another person
    Sec. 3. (a) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting within the scope of the law enforcement officer's official duties or to a person who is justified in using reasonable force against another person under:
    (1) IC 35-41-3-2; or
    (2) IC 35-41-3-3.
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally points a firearm at another person commits a Class D felony. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the firearm was not loaded.
    As added by P.L.296-1995, SEC.2.

jkwparrott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Corydon, IN
    If the story the boys told is what happened then the guy from the tattoo parlor should be in some trouble. I think it's fine to let someone know that you're armed, but to draw and point it at someone as a warning is way out of line.

Skateboard shop on Eastern Blvd. Asylum Extreme is the only one I know of?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Man if what this boy says is true, looks like the guy could be facing a Class D Felony. Yikes!!

IC 35-47-4-3
    Pointing firearm at another person
    Sec. 3. (a) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting within the scope of the law enforcement officer's official duties or to a person who is justified in using reasonable force against another person under:
    (1) IC 35-41-3-2; or
    (2) IC 35-41-3-3.
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally points a firearm at another person commits a Class D felony. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the firearm was not loaded.
    As added by P.L.296-1995, SEC.2.

That was my thought. I asked the kid if he thought the guy was the owner or a customer and he didn't know..It's hard to explain but I do not think they were lying. Most young people won't go out of their way to have to talk to the police but these young guys were adamant about reporting this.

jerryv

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Evansville
    If the story the boys told is what happened then the guy from the tattoo parlor should be in some trouble. I think it's fine to let someone know that you're armed, but to draw and point it at someone as a warning is way out of line.

+1 .. the LTCH lets us carry it and use it in self defense .. but not as a means to threaten or coerce people. At best it hurts our cause. At worst it's sadistic and criminal ..

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Due to the large amount of popcorn I called CPD to follow up and the young lady working dispatch had no information to give me. She said she will ask around the office and have someone call me back. I suggest you gents grab a soft drink to worsh that popcorn down with...:):

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Due to the large amount of popcorn I called CPD to follow up and the young lady working dispatch had no information to give me. She said she will ask around the office and have someone call me back. I suggest you gents grab a soft drink to worsh that popcorn down with...:):
    I thought it would take longer, we are gonna have leftover popcorn now

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    There is always another side to the story. But unless that guy had a good reason to draw on those youngsters (intimidation is not a good reason), he's in some serious trouble.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Now. You sound just like my dad.:D

Top Bottom